migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit.

+4
marion
HeelerLady
Richard
dizzyflower
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit. Empty best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit.

Post  dizzyflower Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:44 am

Just thought it might be a good idea to put some money saving ideas together. I'm not talking about recreating a whole website like many out there, but if we have come up with any of our own ideas, like a good recipe or a way to keep squirrels off the bird feeder it might be nice to put them together. Really if anyone does know how to keep squirrels off the birdfeeder it would be really good.

Things I'm doing at moment.

using plastic bottles to make mini cloche for courgette seeds, which will eventually save a fortune on courgettes.

making our own version of Penatone (not sure that's how you spell it) using an adapted breadmaker recipe.

saving water from the roof to clean car and flush loo. -saves about £270 a year

growing veg on windowsil in plastic mushroom cartons from the supermarket.

my next project is to finish making the alotment shed out of palettes. saves about £150

regards

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit. Empty Re: best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit.

Post  Richard Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:00 am

What's an allotment shed?

We are recycling everything in sight. Saves money? Not certain - but I like it.

Garden this year using old well water. We love roasted vegetables and this ought to save a few bucks.

My washing machine is plumbed to a cistern so I can use the gray water for watering the yard, Nifty!
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit. Empty best money saving ideas

Post  dizzyflower Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:01 am

Sounds like you have some good ideas already. An alotment shed is a shed on the alotment. Do you have alotments? Just in case this is an England only thing They are small plots of land that you rent to grow veg, in my case I rent mine from the parish council. It costs the same to rent my alotment as it would to buy my anual spinach consumption, so my spinach growing pays for the alotment and everything else you just have to factor in the cost of seeds. I don't have fancy rotovators like evryone else though, just a spade and fork.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit. Empty Re: best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit.

Post  HeelerLady Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:18 am

Di,

I thing the term might be English alone. In a "normal" size town where houses have their own yards, the owners can do whatever they want with them (or what the landlord allows). In an apartment...if you have a yard and don't share a large unit often times the landlords will allow you to grow flowers or veggies. However in a "large" city, at least in my area, there are something called community gardens - which function similarly to your allotment. You rent space and can garden whatever you like - most people do veggies but you can grow whatever your hearts desire (as long as it doesn't destroy someone elses space).

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:02 pm

dizzyflower wrote:Sounds like you have some good ideas already. An alotment shed is a shed on the alotment. Do you have alotments? Just in case this is an England only thing They are small plots of land that you rent to grow veg, in my case I rent mine from the parish council. It costs the same to rent my alotment as it would to buy my anual spinach consumption, so my spinach growing pays for the alotment and everything else you just have to factor in the cost of seeds. I don't have fancy rotovators like evryone else though, just a spade and fork.

Di
I listen to a gardening show(Farmer Fred) every Sunday morning and some folks now are saying it's better not to rototill the soil. They say just add mulch to the top. I used a rototiller up until last year, then went to raised beds...still use a spade to work soil amendments in though.
All kitchen scraps go into the compost pile for the worms to work on. We plant a winter and summer garden and have fruit trees, it saves money and provides us with some organic food. We also stopped buying plastic water bottles. We do our own taxes, enjoy cheap online gaming, change our own oil and had our kids attend a junior college first before a four year college. We were given water meters not too long ago and are very stingy with water usage. We use Consumer Reports to find the best products, they're not 100% accurate but pretty close.

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:01 am

I'm a book-keeper by trade and sometimes people say "oh we're just not getting anywhere!" Huge incomes and I just want to say to them "well stop buying THINGS"

Flat screen Tv's, latest phones - My old TV shows the same picture and my old phone can dial the same numbers.

On the gardening topic. We got a worm farm recently. Magic. The worm juice has finally got rid of the mould on the gardenias and the saving on fertilizer and white oil is signficant. Will outweigh the cost of the farm in a year. Revolting but magic.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit. Empty Stop buying things.

Post  dizzyflower Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:47 am

This is brilliant. I have tried this one to the extreme but just as I think am getting somewhere something breaks. Then I find self buying something, usually with a slight look of pain as hand over the cash.

Actually think am becoming allergic to spending money. But I don't think that's the kind of spending you're talking about. I know someone who earns what I used to before I got sick and had to live on benefit, and I'm convinced she has less savings than I do, but earns more in 2.5 months than I get in a year.

By the way the pop bottle/ water bottle I get is fizzy which I mix with ginger cordial to make a fizzy ginger drink that is really good with nausea. It costs 10p and i getthrough 2 on a bad week. The cordial itself isn't that cheap, but it is less money than the ready mixed stuff. To make the same stuff fizzy myself would cost more.

I like the alotment, a lot of them there get migraines too.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:05 am

Stop buying plastic bottles? I am now buying the 2 liter soda bottles on purpose!

I am using the empty bottles to catch swarming queen wasps right now (spring). You cut a small hole in the shoulder of the bottle, put three inches of apple juice in the bottle and hang it among the trees. Wasps check in but don't check out - but they die happily drinking the sweet juice so I don't feel like it is so very harsh.

I "plant" a 2 liter bottle with tiny holes poked in it between veggie plants ... peppers and tomatoes and such. Fill the bottle with water and it soaks the roots instead of running off the top of the soil. Excellent and cheap irrigation. Just don't poke too many holes or the water simply flows out too quickly.

Love those 2 liter bottles - $1.00 each at the Dollar Store! LOL
Richard
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:37 am

Good thread Di, it's always nice to find a new way to save money Laughing We live in an expensive area and our biggest outgoings are mortgage and utilities. I always shop around and use several comparison sites etc for utilities, insurances etc and this saves us a lot of money each year. You have to be careful to read the exact cover you're getting though as often the comparison sites are comparing totally different products. I also change the mortgage when a better deal is out there (after taking into account all the related costs, not just monthly payments).

I've recently started using cashback sites for online purchases. They are a bit of a hassle but I'm hoping a nice payment a couple of times a year will offset that. I buy most things online after shopping around for a good deal, so much easier than trailing the shops with a migraine. But I try not to buy anything unneccessary. Currently in a pregnancy induced state of needing to declutter and get rid of stuff, so we're doing a boot sale soon to make a bit of money, and selling things on amazon, and ebay when I get the energy to list things.

Planning meals in advance and then shopping for food online is great too - usually get free delivery from sainsburys and place a big order once every 3 weeks. We barely waste any food at all by cooking extra for freezer portions (so useful on bad days!) and composting. Hubby is as we speak building some raised beds for our veggie garden. Although they are a bit of a luxury as I think it will take many years to get back what we've spent on timber in home grown veg! But gardening will be easier to do so I can go and potter. Plus they should look pretty and maybe add value to the house. I'll post pics when we've finished the garden.

Other little things are opening tubes of face creams etc to get the huge amount that's lurking inside when you think it's empty; buying dog food in bulk (and I get free delivery on it); using the library instead of buying books; instead of getting rid of clothes when I get bored of them I put them in the loft and when I feel the need for a new outfit I go shopping there instead, rediscovering old favourites and often cutsomising things to bring them up to date; if I do need new clothes I often get great stuff from charity shops (thrift stores), car boot sales or ebay - often brand new; being energy conscious and switching off unused appliances/lights and not having the heating on unless really needed.

Saving money is my favourite hobby Wink It helps offset how bad I feel not to be working and means we get to have luxuries like holidays that otherwise we wouldn't get. Plus I have Northern roots, so it's in my genes! And just about everything that can save you money is also very environmentally friendly, which is something else I try to be. Surviving on one income is tough though, and it's come as a bit of a shock to my OH as he never really considered these things before we got together. Fortunately he sees it as a bit of a challenge and is keen to save money too. Especially when he reflects on how he used to manage his finances affraid

You're probably on it already but Martin Lewis's Money Saving Expert site is fantastic and I find a lot of good tips for freebies or offers in the weekly email.

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit. Empty Yup we get the weekly email..

Post  dizzyflower Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:54 am

Some of the things though we can't do because we don't spend money on the kind of things talked about in the first place.

Speaking of the unavoidable bills.

Did find out we might qualify for some help with loft insulation though which was a bit of a surprise. I was looking for loft insulation on sale ready for next winter, a bit like the way I normally buy a winter coat, only a coat for the house and landed on it somehow. Aparently it's something to do with the energy efficiency innitiative. Sorry to those of you over the pond this is a British Gas thing but thought might be of use to someone.

I sat a whole afternoon with the boiler instructions trying to work out how to make it run efficiently thinking that if it runs like a kettle always on the boil it isn't efficient, and trying to work out wether just keeping it low on the thermostat or putting it on timer would be more efficient. I didn't get very far. Does anyone know? Which costs less for the same heat? Smaller on times at a higher heat, or, on most of the time at a lower heat, or something inbetween.

I tend to be a bit wary of those get cash back by buying online sites. For anything I've wanted so far I have usually managed to get a deal somewhere else that is so much cheaper it makes up for not having cash back. Has anyone found them to really work for them?

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:56 am

At Ravenhurst, we have central heating using propane gas - quite expensive. So I do not use it.

We are in a rural area where a woodstove is practicle and we live in orchard land - so hardwood is readily availabe from the old orchard trees that are cut down each year.

Yes, today it was 63 F when I awoke, but we find that quilts and blankets are more more efficient than keepign the entire hourse warm all night OR all day.

I have also discovered that in my 12' X 16' (or so) TV room, that lighting tea lights heats up the entire room! Who knew? And tea lights are MUCH cheaper than gas or oil or even wood.

Central heating is such a waste - I much prefer heating rooms efficiently and using wood - so cozy and the dogs love it.
Richard
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:11 pm

Richard - to be honest we still buy plastic water bottles once in a while, frozen they're great for headaches plus we rotate the ones we keep in the vehicle for 'just in case' times. I just don't buy cases of them every week like we use to. The queen wasp thing is new to me, I'll have to give it a try. I've tried a tray of beer trap with limited success, the snails and slugs are supposed to be attracted to the beer and fall in and drown(happy I assume Smile ). We thought about installing a wood burning stove but in Sacramento County it seems like every time you want to burn it's a 'no burn' day. Having our central heat/air finally go out made the decision for us, we bought a high efficent central air/heat and have been in seventh heaven ever since, got a nice tax credit and our monthly bills have been reduced...although it'll take about a billion years to pay for itself. About 5 years ago we got a low cost loan from the untility company to install double panes. Last on the energy efficiency list is upgrading the poor attic insullation we have. I've done it before and know how much fun it is..so been dragging my feet.

Amy - I hear ya about the cost of the wood for the raised beds. We started small, around four 3 x 6 beds using just 2x6 boards. It's not very high but they do contain the compost, keeps the bugs n weeds out better and help keep water where you want it. Our plan was to add more boards to them as time went on(as we couldn't bend over so far..hehe). The last house we were at had raised beds that were waist high and were so easy to work with...thats our eventual goal. Thanks for the Martin Lewis site, another good one is Clark Howard , we've listened to him on the radio a lot and he's a great consumer advocate.

Di -My unprofessional guess is that experimenting with keeping your heating unit on a lower setting all the time might be best. What works really good is a set-back thermostat so that it would automatically reduce the temp while you sleep, then turn it back up just before you get up in the morning.

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:38 am

Hey Jay ... to inexpensively insulate your attic (or walls and floor) consider using rice hulls. You live in rice country so ought to be able to get truckloads cheap. Rice hulls contain an inordinate amount of silica - they won't burn and have a high insulation value. Just think - you may be able to insulate your attic for the cost of a truck rental.
Richard
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:36 pm

Richard wrote:Hey Jay ... to inexpensively insulate your attic (or walls and floor) consider using rice hulls. You live in rice country so ought to be able to get truckloads cheap. Rice hulls contain an inordinate amount of silica - they won't burn and have a high insulation value. Just think - you may be able to insulate your attic for the cost of a truck rental.
Interesting idea, plenty of rice hulls available. As you probably know, the big tomato's had a love/hate relationship with those rice fields. Hull's are great in the garden but in the past, burning fields and toxic runoff have been problems. Thanks for the tip, I'll research it more...need to check if 'big brother' approves yet.

Back to top Go down

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit. Empty squirrels

Post  estre004 Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:55 pm

Di - My son bought me a squirrel proof birdfeeder. Those dang squirrels actually figured it out. I wish I would have had it on camera. I watched them for days just sitting there pondering it, and by God one day one of them was stretched out hanging on by a claw, but in the feed. I could not believe my eyes.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:12 pm

One easy fix to keep squirrels out of a feeder (assuming it's hung by a shepherds hook or some other pole stuck in the ground). Get grease (I used axle or vaseline would work too) and grease the pole. I did this and my feeders were left alone. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:48 am

Wow, what a simple and good idea for the bird feeders! thanks
Richard
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:59 am

Re cashback sites.

I think you just have to do a bit of research and be cautious with them, but they can be good. If you've got the time to put into the research.

Eg I got my sister a camera for her 30th, so I researched good deals, and narrowed it down to a few models. I found the sites where the models were cheapest, then looked on the cashback site to see if I'd get anything back. There were a couple of places that did 1-4% cashback on that or similar cameras, but the original deal was still the best so I went with it and didn't go for cashback. Same thing happened when hubby bought a new set of tyres - the sites we could get cashback on were more expensive than he'd already found. Plus you often can't get cashback if you use a discount code as well. And there is always a risk that for some reason the cashback site won't pay up if there is a technical glitch, so it's best to just think of it as an extra bonus, not part of the cost of the item.

But it's really good for places like amazon, ebay, boots, high street stores etc online. And I got some cashback for having my boiler serviced with npower, and it was the cheapest place to go through to start with as they had an offer on and we also got a free energy meter on top. I've given this to my parents as we already have one.

Oh, and another top tip is to search for voucher/discount codes before you place an order. I often get free p&p or extra discount doing this. And if there is somewhere you regularly shop online signing up for their emails often gives offers and discounts, and sale previews too. This has come in very handy buying baby stuff. Although we've had a lot given to us and picked plenty up at charity shops and sales (I got a gorgeous as new baby carrier for £2.50 yesterday at an NCT sale, new it would be about £50!)

I shop around a lot too. There's 20% off at B&Q today (hardware/garden centre type shop), and we need to buy some things, but I looked around online last night and Wickes has all the things we want cheaper anyway, plus in some cases much nicer looking too. So always going for discounts doesn't always save money. It's a bit of a minefield.

But I realise there is a balance between spending lots of time researching best prices and products versus the time it takes, and if I was working I know I'd often choose the convenient route. But whilst I can spend the time I do, and it does pay off.

I got a grant from somewhere to insulate my previous house - walls and loft. It made a huge difference to how warm the house felt. Unfortunately this house has solid walls so no cavity wall insulation option and the panel stuff you can use on the inside of the walls is really expensive (and no grants available for that). I'd recommend getting it done, but make sure they survey properly if doing the walls. In some types of construction it can cause rising damp or something (saw it on TV and can't remember all the details!).

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit. Empty insulating the walls

Post  dizzyflower Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:03 am

My Dad has some of that internal insulation on the North facing walls and it really makes a difference. He lost nearly 10cm off the size of the room though in order to do it, so if you have a small house things might not fit afterwoods. There was one room I hated going into in the winter before he did this, but now it is just as good as the rest.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit. Empty help Di

Post  crt Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:16 pm

Please translate for the dumb American. I don't speak French. I thought a cloche was a hat and courgette is a software term. From the context, I assume you're saying something about gardening, but I am confused.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit. Empty Squirrels

Post  lesherb Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Don't be so stingy with the squirrels. Be sure to make open face peanut butter sandwiches with birdseed sprinkled on top for them, too. Just place them in a different area where the bird feeder isn't!

Squirrels are people, too!
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:37 pm

I agree Leslie - I like the squirrels too and enjoy watching them. I don't want them in my birdfeeder though stealing from my birds. I'll remember the peanut butter for them.

estre004

Back to top Go down

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit. Empty Squirrels in Dads garden are thugs.

Post  dizzyflower Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:51 am

This policy was the method untill recently, but they have got so many that it is a bit like a restaurant that gets regular undesirable customers that scare the others away. So the ones that turn up t the table if they are humans too, think big scary. likely to thump you types that are at least four times your size if you are a sparrow. The blackbirds are constantly upset and complain to my Dad as if it's his fault.

Somebody did suggest something that I thought was worth a try the other day though. You know the big bucket like collars that the vet puts on your dog to stop him from biting his tail? They suggested using an old one of those to act as a deflector down the pole, using some grease to stop them getting a hold on it.

At the moment I have discovered another problem with my bird table. Nextdoor but one have got some new and better facilities possibly with better seed, and my old restaurant is now unfashionable and needs a revamp to get the customers back. I thought there would be trouble when they anounced they were going to the posh garden centre.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit. Empty cloche

Post  dizzyflower Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:53 am

it's a cover that lets light through for plants but keeps it warm and cosy so you can grow things earlier. I probably spelt it wrong too. Sorry.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

best money saving ideas after winter fuel bills hit. Empty Squirrels

Post  estre004 Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:23 am

You are funny Di. I wondered about my feed also. I bought some cheap stuff (seed has gotten expensive). Maybe next winter I will splurge and try something more exotic. I also feed a feral cat who gives me much joy. My boyfriend hates cats so when mine died I didn't get a new one but there is a feral one in my neighborhood (going on 5 years now) that hangs out. She won't let me touch her but she gets closer to me every year. Maybe this summer. I have more fun with this cat than my pet ones. I originally fed her left over food but then started feeding her cat food. At first she walked away from it but when the temperatures hit below zero and food was probably scare for her, she finally gave in. She is a survivor!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next