migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Job ideas?

+4
sailingmuffin
Seaine
Jilly
krissylucille
8 posters

Go down

Job ideas? Empty Job ideas?

Post  krissylucille Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi I am 17 years old and have had a chronic headaches for 5 years. Since college is now on my radar, I was wondering what kind of jobs

do other migraine/ headache sufferers have either part-time or full-time since my headaches are horribly bad. Thank you and Hope you are

doing well. Smile
krissylucille
krissylucille

Back to top Go down

Job ideas? Empty Re: Job ideas?

Post  Jilly Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:37 pm

I think you should look at your talents and what you love to do. Choose a career based on what you love to do. I believe your dream job will be there and you will be able to do it, regardless of any physical limitations you may have. You may have to modify the job a bit for yourself.

Things to consider. Think of the job, think of the different working environments, think of whether or not you can do it, then think of ways you can change it up so you can do that particular job. It could be changing the amount of hours/time worked, location of the work being done, it could be making arrangements if you get sick (always carry meds, replacement worker, etc), you might even consider the geographical location of your future job.

Where I currently work I work 7 shifts in a 2 week cycle. That is only part-time. I really like it like that. I work as a Cook in a Seniors home. I love my job. I don't think I could handle working in a big busy restaurant with the amount of pain I am in every day. It generally stays pretty quiet in our kitchen. Nobody is yelling any orders. It is a very mellow environment. The loudest it gets is when they have to test our alarm bells, and they go off (too bad I couldn't have booked that day off).

Several years ago I went back to school so that I could work as a special type of therapist. I invested thousands of dollars into my education and I was very good at it. I started to work with Dementia patients and I noticed I had a certain gift with them and the families. The only problem with this is my headaches were excruciating. I had to deal with people from the time I got to work in the morning until the time I went home. I had to be in top condition, to help them deal with there problems. I realized that although I was talented and could do this job very well, it was not something I could for a very long time. I left that job.

Now, at my current job my education in seniors and dementia proves to invaluable everyday. Although I cook for them I can assist my coworkers with innovative ideas to help improve the lives of the seniors that live where I work. I am also able to assist them in ways I would not have been able to otherwise.

Whatever education you choose will turn out to be just the right education you need to fulfill your life's destiny.

Jilly

Back to top Go down

Post  krissylucille Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll will do that. I really wanted to go into the medical field so ill pursue less stressful or loud options than doctor or paramedic. One more question while i'm at school (college) I was thinking about getting a part time job do you have suggestions for jobs like this? or any helpful tips on selecting one?
krissylucille
krissylucille

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 pm

I work as a zookeeper with lions and bears, and I have 3-5 migraines per week. I have not really found that my job affects my headaches at all. Some people say that being outside in hot weather or sun gives them migraines but it makes no difference to mine. I often get migraines in the afternoons while I'm at work - I keep a pill holder in my pocket with my Frova in it. Luckily I am only working with a few coworkers for most of the day and only handling customers occassionally. It did take me 5 years instead of 4 to get my Bachelor's due to trying to handle schoolwork plus migraines, but a lot of people who don't have any health problems take 5 years also so that's not so bad.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi,

I agree with the others-go with your strengths.

I have had chronic intractable migraine/New Daily Persistent Headache since age 17. I was able to graduate both high school and college on time. In college, I had a disability qualification. Mine allowed for leniancy in attendance and the ability to make up tests or papers late because of the headache. Most colleges and universities have an office for this- all you need is a letter from your dr about migraines. It was a godsend for me.

As to jobs, I am still working on figuring that out. I have a BA in English and was planning to go either into the ordained ministry or teaching. I went to one year of Divinity School, but the school was not accomadating. I could hardly believe it when two priests informed me that my migraines made me "a detriment to the community and an inconvenience to others" (I think thay must have skipped the Gospels or something.

I came home and went back to school for a Masters in Education. Unfortunately, I got a bad flu and after recovering from the flu, I began fainting/falling constantly. Right now, I am looking into some opportunities with vocational rehab. I am also keeping some teaching skills up by volunteering at a local elementary school. First graders are fine with the fainting. I usually catalogue AR books, give AR tests and work with kids in small groups. I am also looking into to doing some freelance tutoring. But won't start that until Dora, my service dog comes home.

There have been some bumps along the road. I have certainly had to tweak my plans and find some way to work despite the migraines and the fainting. The best advice I can give you is to never give up. Go to college, major in something you love, and pursue what you need to pursue. I hope things work out for you.

Also, we are always here if you need advice.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi,

I agree with the others-go with your strengths.

I have had chronic intractable migraine/New Daily Persistent Headache since age 17. I was able to graduate both high school and college on time. In college, I had a disability qualification. Mine allowed for leniancy in attendance and the ability to make up tests or papers late because of the headache. Most colleges and universities have an office for this- all you need is a letter from your dr about migraines. It was a godsend for me.

As to jobs, I am still working on figuring that out. I have a BA in English and was planning to go either into the ordained ministry or teaching. I went to one year of Divinity School, but the school was not accomadating. I could hardly believe it when two priests informed me that my migraines made me "a detriment to the community and an inconvenience to others" (I think thay must have skipped the Gospels or something.

I came home and went back to school for a Masters in Education. Unfortunately, I got a bad flu and after recovering from the flu, I began fainting/falling constantly. Right now, I am looking into some opportunities with vocational rehab. I am also keeping some teaching skills up by volunteering at a local elementary school. First graders are fine with the fainting. I usually catalogue AR books, give AR tests and work with kids in small groups. I am also looking into to doing some freelance tutoring. But won't start that until Dora, my service dog comes home.

There have been some bumps along the road. I have certainly had to tweak my plans and find some way to work despite the migraines and the fainting. The best advice I can give you is to never give up. Go to college, major in something you love, and pursue what you need to pursue. I hope things work out for you.

Also, we are always here if you need advice.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:00 pm

SM said, "two priests informed me that my migraines made me "a detriment to the community and an inconvenience to others" (I think they must have skipped the Gospels or something."

They were so busy reading the commentaries, that they missed the main message of religion, "Compassion."

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:43 am

Hi Krissy,

You are asking the right questions. In general I recommend trying something with flexible hours and schedules. I work at home on a computer and for the most part that has allowed a lot of flexibility to do my work when I feel better.

There was good advice about asking for accommodation at school if you need it and going with what you enjoy and feel passionate about. The medical field is a great one, with lots of job opportunities into the foreseeable future. If you are not sure which area, I highly recommend volunteering at a local hospital ( the used to call it candy strippers, but it may be something else now).

My daughter did that in high school and it was hugely helpful to figure out what she did and did not like. She will graduate in December with a Masters in occupational therapy because she just loves working with the patients, which you get to do a lot of in that profession (as compared to doctors or nurses). She would have never realized this if she had not spent that time as a volunteer.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Job ideas? Empty Job ideas

Post  Indyjanie Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:32 am

Hi, Go for ur dreams! I always wanted to be a nurse. W the help of a very compassionate Dr who worked to get me able to function through getting my BSN & multiple hospital jobs I was able to work. 35 yrs later & now retired I wouldn't have changed that part of my life for anything despite battling Chronic migraines. It really showed me what pain is all about & how frustrating it can be. I know it made me a better nurse for it. The medical field especially nursing has so many varied job opportunities. Plus you can work PT if need be. I worked in oncology, pain management, surgery, teaching, cardiac care & short stay recovery. Loved it all! Good luck to you!

Indyjanie

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather-T Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:51 am

Hiya Krissy,

For me, I work from home as a freelance graphic designer - A true blessing for me as I couldn't have been employed otherwise. Follow your 'gut instinct' regarding your passion.

All the best,

Heather

Heather-T

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down