migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changes w/ Topamax + new ideas...

5 posters

Go down

Changes w/ Topamax + new ideas... Empty Changes w/ Topamax + new ideas...

Post  Batman55 Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:51 pm

I saw the neurologist again today. I told her I had been taking Topamax--regardless of dose--for a month and a half straight, and that I was taking 75mg for 16 days straight. I said there wasn't any noticeable relief, and the side effects were aggravating. She said I had been on it long enough that, if it was going to work, I would have noticed some relief. So we're going to wean off the Topamax, and now she wants me to try Depakote instead. I asked about the side effects of Depakote and she seemed to indicate that they're minimal, but did say I would need to have my liver enzymes checked every 3-6 months. Has anyone ever tried Depakote for headaches/migraines; if so, how did it work out?

The next option she offered, if Depakote does not work, is Botox injections in the head and neck. Apparently I meet that criteria with flying colors, as you need a headache at least 14 days a month for that. I have some suspicions that it may come to that.. I mean, if Topamax (the "best migraine drug" available) does not work for me, why would another anticonvulsant do the trick? Not that I would be happy to try beta-blockers either, though.

Lemme know,
Batman55

Batman55

Back to top Go down

Changes w/ Topamax + new ideas... Empty Re: Changes w/ Topamax + new ideas...

Post  living Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:06 pm

Hey Batman,

Sorry to hear the Topamax didn't work. I've posted responses to your other threads - just ignore them in light of this news! At least you'll get rid of those side effects.

I don't know anything about Depakote but some people have had excellent results with Botox. Others not so great.

Best wishes flower

living

Back to top Go down

Post  Batman55 Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:18 am

Isn't it nice to find this:
http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AAPM/25592

I describe my head pressure as coming from within, and this article states that Botox is most effective for those who have pressure from without--as in a "vice-like grip" or a "helmet too tight."

Is there any way I could be possibly be more unlucky in terms of having a chronic headache!?! [sigh]

Batman55

Back to top Go down

Post  greent Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:39 am

I haven't tried depakote, but will be curious to hear if it does anything for you as it's one of the few I have yet to try. Topamax never did anything for me either, yet zonegran (called it's 'sister' drug) worked very well for me for several months. Good luck and please let me know how it works!

greent

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:43 am

the depakote didn't do anything for my migraines. I felt a little more tired and run down from it than usual, but isn't that the way of it. I get botox. I tried over 75 medications and none of them have been nearly as effective as Botox. I have heard of folks that take the depakote with a good response though. Good luck
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  Batman55 Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:30 pm

Curious, for anyone who happens to be reading this thread.. does anyone here get chronic "head pressure" besides myself and tortoisegirl? How would you describe the pressure?

Batman55

Back to top Go down

Changes w/ Topamax + new ideas... Empty depakote/head pressure

Post  lentils Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:22 pm

I took depakote first, then because I had some success with it, tried topamax. I would not rule out depakote helping you, even though topamax didn't. I would try anything and everything until I hit on something that put a dent in the pain.
My headaches started out as sharp, throbbing pain in the temples, but have evolved into throbbing forehead pressure. I live at a high altitude and sometimes I think that the altitude is responsible for the change. Diamox helps me when I have this kind of pain, but it was prescribed to acclimate to the altitude, not for migraines.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down