migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for other "athletes" to support each other

+18
survivor
tecky
Anna
Lil Bird
jwar
Stillhurtin
brookelinn
jagmig
AuntieBubbs
Daniela
meihee
pen
Ivy
marion
HeelerLady
Chinookgrl
LG
milo
22 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Looking for other "athletes" to support each other - Page 5 Empty Re: Looking for other "athletes" to support each other

Post  milo Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:49 pm

I ran today but I started out with a headache and ended with a worse one.

Now, six hours later I'm in really bad shape. UGH
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Looking for other "athletes" to support each other - Page 5 Empty Re: Looking for other "athletes" to support each other

Post  HeelerLady Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:18 am

Don't know what it was but yesterday was a complete write off. Got a bad M at work, ended up taking an imitrex injection so I could make it home. Fell asleep twice at work (in my desk chair) and then crashed on the couch about 7, woke up around 8:30 - medicated everyone and went to bed and slept until after 6 this morning.

I don't know what's up, but lately the really bad ones are messing with my eyes and putting me to sleep for long periods of time. UGH...
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Crappy hey Heeler...me too....though I seem to have had a better day today and I started hill training. Not an easy task my friends!!!! But I'm happy to say I'm back from the gym and I did it!!! Yay. Now let's hope this six hour break from headache keeps up. lol
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Hey, have I mentioned that this running has taken 16 pounds off? I've stopped losing for a while now, but I suspect it will start up again. I think beer is my biggest weakness. Smile
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:47 pm

I finally had the guts to run with my coworkers at lunch today. I work with several (5) hardcore runners (marathon types) and they run each luch outside.

I needed to do three miles today, and the weather has been good, so I finally broke down and tried to keep up with them.

I did pretty good. Makes me feel a bit proud...and the scale dropped again today...which is really good cus I've been sitting at a standstill for a while.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:20 pm

It's been a bit since anyone but me has posted, so I'm considering letting this post die.

I don't want to, but I feel self concious about posting too much.

I did a beautiful 10 kilometer run this weekend, around a gorgeous set of lakes on Vancouver Island.

I'm about half way to my big goal, and moving into what I consider to be the really hard part of training because it will take a lot more time commitment to run my longer runs.

Wishing you all luck in your goals.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:57 am

What a weekend... Feel like I've been run over by a pack of dogs. Walked the dogs before I left on Friday - was a decent length and I tuckered out big girl. Smile

Drove up to LaCrosse for the tournament and stayed in a hotel by myself with Abby. About bedtime realized I forgot my preventatives at home. Always forget something....

Saturday went pretty well - no major catastrophies. The wind could have died down but very nice April day to sit outside. Sunday was even nicer - no wind. Abby was such a good girl all weekend - really only one flub-up and it was cause she forgot how to get back in the ring (ball flew out). Really proud of her - last race on Sunday our height dog wigged out over some tape and the back-up raised the jumps to 12" from 9" and she cruised right over.

My thighs hurt so bad today - feeling like a little old lady that can barely walk but at least my upper body is not too bad and my head isn't killing me. Smile

Thinking about walking the girls later. Have to mow the front yard today and maybe I'll see how I do after that...legs might refuse to move.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:51 am

I did a beautiful 10 kilometer run this weekend, around a gorgeous set of lakes on Vancouver Island.

I envy so much....
I have beautiful paths in the woods here, too. However, running on a Canadian lake is one of my dreams!

Keep my fingers crossed. Tonight I'm gonna try a 8km after 3 weeks of forced rest (I had tonsillitis, ear infection and cough....)
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:44 am

Oh Ivy...don't run unless your cough is fully recovered....it's so easy to move it into your lungs.

I'm glad things went well Heeler....gosh...don't you ever forget your meds again!!! Keep spares in your car and your purse and at other conveniant locations so even when you do forget that you still have some kicking around. (I'd even take an out of date one if it was all I had in the car).

I have to admit, the run around the lakes was amazing. I saw so many birds and people fishing and many, many people on their boats...I can't remember what they are called when they are all in a kayak-looking thing but it has two to six people in it....these fine athletes practice at this lake so it was cool to watch.

I was visiting the Island. It's such a pretty place. And all I had to wear were shorts and two short-sleeved running shirts. Was SOOOO nice.

I'll attach a pic if I can.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:06 am

You know I remembered all my abortives and pain killers but forgot the preventatives. Not like they are doing anything anyway. This trial round is batting zero. But I usually do remember medications, why I forgot them this time is beyond me.

Glad you had such a nice day for a run. Smile The lawn is starting to call me - really needs to be cut but also afraid to leave the clothes dryer unattended - making strange noises.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 pm

Tell me about it....I bought in a condo which has landscaping covered through the strata.

Only problem is....we don't have a landscaper....so I end up cutting the damn grass, which is my only "single trigger" that I am aware of. Cut grass gives me a migraine every time and here I am cutting the damn grass even though I PAY to have it cut. UGH
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:48 pm

That sucks! I rent and doing the yard and shoveling is not covered in the rent and is left to those of us in the building. Downstairs cut it last year, and I got my mower fixed and figured I'd do it. It doesn't take that long to do (I also have a self propelled mower Very Happy ). You know it's too long when the mower kills itself going through it... But the front is done and I'm going to wait to do the back until the weekend and I'll probably give the front another trim.

Now big girl will hopefully potty on the grass instead of on the sidewalk. Suspect
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:19 am

Hi,
yesterday night I could run 8km, but it was hard.
My muscles responded well so did my lungs.
It was too hot. We had 25C yesterday afternoon. Till Sunday we were around 7/8C. A shock for the body.
So, the first 5km were fine, then it became harder and harder due to the heat. I was no longer used to it.

This morning I have migraine. I am sure that it was triggered by the sudden temperature raise.

I hope that next run will be better.

Last edited by Ivy on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:44 am

Do take care Ivy. I know the temperature can make things worse. My big girl does not tolerate heat well so I always have to be careful when the temps spike suddenly and change our routines.

Hope the M subsides and you are able to do what you'd like today. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:09 am

I've yet to run this week, and it upsets me greatly. I'm sitting right on the verge of my half-way point in training.

My head is not a happy camper.

Last night I had to take three different meds to get relief and I still had a head-splitter.

Today, I intend to suit up for the gym. I'm supposed to do 2 miles, four hills then two more miles. I will for sure do the hill training, but I may cut out two miles, depending on how I feel.

I'm scared my migraines are giong to put an end to all this hard work I've been doing!

I'va already accepted that I need to modify the training sched, as there is no way I will be able to keep it all up. I've done a lot of reading, and I'm pretty certain I can get away with two smaller runs per week in addition to my long run on the weekend.

I love the training, I love the weightloss and muscle tone, I love all it's doing for me....but I HATE MY HEAD!!!!!!
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:14 am

I know how you feel. I haven't done anything this week. But on the positive side, I'm able to walk again without my legs screaming. Now to just get the head to cooperate. Wanna trade heads? Just for a new experience? Razz
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:35 pm

I did it, I did it, I did it!!!! I actually did the four miles and the hill training! yay!!!
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:17 pm

i have to go through and read the post--good job everyone. tough to keep moving when you feel sick.

i'm back on a light regimine of weights, ex. bike, and treadmill. getting older doesn't make this stuff easier!

my heart rate doesn't like going over 90, so big cardio is a bit of a laugh.

Smile

keep up the good work.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:34 am

Milo,
good for you!!!
It's incredible how the body reinforces and recovers quicker when you train regularly.
Don't give up because of migraine. It makes things seem worse than they are. Of course, we are sometimes obliged to skip a run and after a massive one and tons of meds our performance is not of high quality, but we can make it!

Yesterday night I ran 8 km again. It was better than on Monday, but it was hot again. I chose a path across the woods where there was more shadow and that helped.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:57 pm

I've just spent the evening mapping out my Sunday 12 kilometer run. Messed up to be planning something like this twacked out on pain meds.

The weather may not cooperate, but I'm thinking I'll run outside anyways. I don't think I could face two hours on the treadmill. I love the run mapping program....tells me elevation as well as distance.

I'm doing a repeat of my first 10k's but have added the extra through some hobby farm sections of the city.

I guess it's time to actually get my running shoes dirty. Up until now I've been using secondary shoes to run outside, but I'm getting so many blisters.

I'm considering buying another pair of the same shoes, but I get quite a few blisters in these ones even though they feel like butter on my feet.

What do the other runners think? Should I look at a new pair of another kind at the half-way training point or should I suck up the two hundred bucks and buy a matching pair? I could then take the older pair and make them my outdoor ones and leave the new pair for the gym.

What do you guys think?

Also, what do you guys think I should do for energy on the run? I'm thinking this one will require something, as most of the books say to have something for runs over an hour. I don't know. Maybe I could buy those energy beans and suck on a powerade.

My migraines have me off of caffiene 100% so I don't have so many options. I'm close to a specialty running store, so maybe I'll pop in tomorrow and see what they recommend. I tried to call the dial up registered dietician but I missed their office hours so I'm out of luck for info this weekend at least.

Remember, I'm all new with this folks, so I could use some advice if you have it.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:09 am

Hi Milo,

I haven't walked at all this week and the weather doesn't look like it is going to e cooperating for the weekend. Rats! The dogs are being rather naughty and really need it.

For shoes...I'm no runner but require top of the line shoes (foot issues). I'm pretty sure blisters are not normal no matter what the shoe (unless breaking in - had a couple then). I'd check with the running store - they might better be able to advise you. I do know that shoes tend to wear out faster than you think. My walking shoes I have to replace just about every 6 months - the foot issues I have I can tell when they are shot, get random numbness.

As for eating - how about a power bar? They make them with higher energy and I often use them for a snack - neuro recommended them for afternoon M, haha.

Just my 2 cents.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Looking for other "athletes" to support each other - Page 5 Empty I feel dumb!

Post  milo Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:55 pm

Ok, I went in to the running store....an actual running store that only sells running gear.

I spent about an hour with all three of the sales people helping me figure out my shoes and feet.

The pair I'm running in only has two months of running on them. Most running books say I can get 500-1200 miles of running out of a good pair.

I bought a new pair of different shoes and totally lucked out cus this store rarely has sales and these were actually on sale for only 109.00. (My other pair came to just under 200.00).

They also helped me buy some of their power shots....disgusting tasting little globs of gooey grossness. They had quite a few choices there for me that were caffeine free...so that is good.

The salesguy helping me is an author/runner that has motivated thousands if not millions of people to walk/run. He was so helpful telling me exactly at what mile I should load up and other helpful things.

At the end, I mentioned using vaseline this time to help prevent the blisters. They all reacted immediately in unison saying "DON"T USE VASELINE!"

I told them I've been using the heat glide and then they all went bonkers saying that I was basically burning the blisters onto my feet with the glide! I didn't know the heat version was for sore muscles and was using it as regular.

I've been enduring SOOOOO MANY blisters and thinking it was normal!!!!!

Tomorrow I will try the proper glide and the old shoes.

Wish me luck!!!!
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:00 pm

Glad you got some good advice. Yikes!

Hope your run goes well. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:43 am

Milo,
I've never spent money on expensive running clothes, BUT for the shoes. The shoes must be perfect otherwise all the run is impacted and you risk to injure something.
So, in the beginning, it is possible to "waste" money and change frequently shoes, untill you find the right brand/model.
I've tried all most common brands on the market and I can use only Adidas. Probably they're shaped for my feet. I cannot absolutely use Asics and Nike. They're too slim fit for my large feet Smile

As for the long runs above 1 hour it is very important to be hydrated enough. There are some edible jellies that you have during run and that ensure a high hydration. I've never used them as I run over one hour only in winter when I don't sweat enough to risk dehydration.
As for the energy, I think that you could use maltodestrine. There are pills/bars in commerce that are allowed also for professional marathoners.
I think that also guarana, ginseng, carnitine may be good energizers before a run.

Gatorade/Powerade are good for re-integrate the loss of minerals after a run.

If you keep a regualar running schedule, have your blood iron levels checked regualarly. ALL runners tend to have low ferritine because during running the impact of the feet on the ground make minor blood vessels break (you don't realize it, but it happens) and waste blood. If this happens once in a while does not causes anything, but if it becomes regular, it can lower iron. Also, sweating actively like during a run consumes iron.

Have a nice run this Sunday, I hope you can make your 12 km!!! I wish that we could workout together, it would be fun!
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Looking for other "athletes" to support each other - Page 5 Empty Maybe not so dumb afterall.

Post  milo Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:10 am

I did it! 12.4 kilometers to be closer to exact!. I'm not going to pretend it was easy, because it wasn't but I did still have enough pep in me to run the last leg, which I was allowed to walk as I only needed to do 12 k today.

I used the "proper" glide and now I have a giant blood-filled blister...so I wasn't causing them afterall...it's my expensive shoes.

Tomorrow or Tues I will try out the new ones on the treadmill. (I can return them if I try them on the treadmill).

I definately won't be able to use these ones on any more of my long runs. Darn...cus they sure do feel good on.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next