migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How is your weight?

+25
Dawn
Brent
Senna
AuntieBubbs
jeselle
AZgirl
tecky
Rachel328
tdu
Almostangela
estre004
alli
Ivy
LG
MaryAnneLive
lesherb
02R96
Paradox
HeelerLady
LizzieB
theresae
moominamy
Stillhurtin
Brenda
pen
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

How is your weight? - Page 3 Empty Re: How is your weight?

Post  estre004 Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:51 pm

AuntieBubbs - I don't think I have any higher metabolism than anyone else. I just take in the amount of food I burn. I would gain weight also if I ate more than I burned. I didn't quit the Topamax because of the weight loss (although I hated that side effect because it ruined my appetite and I like to eat), but I also hated the stupidness it caused me and last of all and the final straw was the depression which I had never had before. I have to admit that if you want to lose weight and the other side effects don't affect you or you don't mind them, you will lose weight. It works for that if nothing else so worth a try if you want to lose weight. I think a lot of the overweightness people on this forum have is from the medications also. I know weight gain is a side effect for a lot of them.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Yes, drinking water can indeed be fatal. BUT yes you do have to CONTINUOUSLY drink it. Don't do that, it's stupid. We are smarter than that. I know we are, you guys are my friends and I know most of you! I love you

I also want to update you all to let you know I have actually reached my goal and fit into a size 5/7 pants!! Woohoo! I did this by eating small meals through the day and I did experiment with water intake and without drinking it, I wouldn't have lost the weight I did. When I stopped drinking water, my weight loss dropped to a complete standstill however when I started drinking it again regularly after about a week I started dropping lbs again.

Hope this helps everyone with their weight loss goals.

Glad to know my story helped you look at things in a different way, Bubbs. Smile
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:21 am

My weight has been mostly quite steady. IT has increased when I was put on Amitryptyline (which did not work for my migraine anyway) but I soon lost weight after stropping it, and watching my diet for a while. I also gained some weight with the menopause, but I was not unhappy about it, since it felt right size for me and it still remains well withing the normal range.

I must admit my diet is quite sensible and healthy becasue I am always watching my triggers. I cook all meals from scratch, so I know what goes into my mouth and I do not have a sweet tooth - this makes life easier. I am never hungry, and mostly eat thinsg I like (missing cheese though which is my trigger).
I also know that I could gain weight if I am not sensible, or overdo things for more then one day, since I usually I add somele weight each Christmas time, but I soon bring it back to normal - iIf I see my scales going up by more then 2 pounds, I start on my low carb diet for a day or two, and it soon goes.
IT is watching suchs little gains that matters, as the more you gain, the more discouraged you are to loose it. I see it with myt friend - she gains some weight so she gets fed up and cheers herself up by another cake, sighting: "what is the point, I might just as well stop trying and make myself happy". She then gets very depressed over her weight, and it is viscious cyckle.

I know some medicined make you gain weight and this is a really difficult issue, but maybe there are alternatives? Maybe it is time to look at different options with your doctor. I also know that many people do not mind being big, and this is fine as well there is different outlooks on that issue in different countries. I think what is more important is that your eating habits, or weight issues do not reflect on your health or other people, otherwise why worry.

It is a fine balance - but weight and migraine connection, is not so clear cut.
On the whole I really think they are separate issues.

I almost forgot: there is a good weight loss tip - eat a whole fresh fruit (but not a banana) ten minutes, or so, before each meal - you will feel full sooner, and you get a healthy dose of viatmins, as well. I use that and it really works.
BTW if you think you do not like fruits, make yourself hungry enough by larger gaps between your meals - any fruit will taste delicious, if you are really hungry enough!

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:35 pm

I hope everyone takes a second look at those ridiculous BMI calculators. So far I have only found one that has a separate BMI for men and women. And if you believe them a 5'4" German man should weigh the same as a 5'4" asian women. Not even close to reality in anyone's thinking.

Supposedly I am about 20-25 Lbs over weight. I have carefully evolved into a better diet and do not do any junk food at all. My job involves 6-7 hrs a day of physical activity and I stay close to 2500 calories a day. Never smoked or even moderately drank and I have a very low stress job. I take several vitamin, mineral and herbal suplements. Guess what? I am still at the same weight. I still have mildly elevated blood pressure and cholesterol.

My wife pointed out that I am the same body type and weight as my dad, grand father and all my uncles. It's becoming apparent that I am fighting genetics. All that deprivation for nothing.

I will live until I die and I refuse to change my diet any more. Considering the average life span for a medical doctor in the US is 54 years then who the hell are they to tell us how to live?

Inanity is doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different outcome. I'm done and have decided to enjoy life just the way I am. "F" the doctors and all their ridiculous charts and graphs. Someday they will wake up and realize they're not working.

I enjoy my friends and love being wtih them and talking with them. Their weight is irrelevant to me.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:47 pm

Alli: Isn't that the pits...

Unfortunately, the boobs are the first place the weight falls off when you lose...At least it was for me. Wish the weight loss would start at the bottom...not the top Laughing

Dawn
Dawn
Dawn

http://www.greenourliving.com

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:05 pm

[quote="Brent"]I hope everyone takes a second look at those ridiculous BMI calculators.

Everyone should forget the BMI calculators, scales, weight charts, etc. and just look in the mirror. I can tell my weight and BMI just by looking. If you are happy, fine. If you aren't, you have a choice to do something about it.

]

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:07 pm

ok...so I'm just saying....but you actually can drink too much water.

Our local tertiary care psych facility has an entire unit for water intoxication. If you drink too much you can through your electrolytes way out of whack (very professional medical terminology...lol).

Having said that....it's not all that common for your "average" person and most people don't over-do it on water.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:16 pm

If you are happy, fine. If you aren't, you have a choice to do something about it.

Actually I am not happy and cant seem to do a thing about it.
I have gained weight for no reason and eat or not eat it wont shift....

And not on any medication.

Last edited by pen on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

How is your weight? - Page 3 Empty weight

Post  Chinookgrl Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:53 pm

The medications do make such a difference. Years ago on amitriptyline I first noticed weight gain (about 15lbs). When I was on Epival, I gained about 20lbs in 3 yrs on it. When I went off that and onto Topomax I lost 17 lbs in 2 months, I didn't ultimately do well on Topamax. Now I am not on a preventative and I am sitting at about 120lbs, running working out (when I can) and doing my shake/cleanse thing. Pretty happy right now with weight, would just like to be a little more fit. I have lost a lot of strength and endurance in the past 10 yrs. Lost all my cellulite though (hope That's not too much info)

It is frustrating to be on a medication that you know is chemically inducing changes that can lead to weight gain. I had a neuro once tell me just stop putting so much food in my mouth, this was when on Epival. I went home that day and read about associated weight gain with the medication and was so angry and her laying it all on me. Does anyone know why some medications have such associations with weight gain??

Jo
Chinookgrl
Chinookgrl

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:55 pm

I enjoyed having the very same doctor that prescribed a weight gaining mig med then lecture me about my weight. Not to mention my weight with my leather jacket, leather boots, all the crap in my jacket and clothing. I weighed that separately one day and it's 19 Lbs.

They don't factor in "white coat syndrome" either when they take your BP and heart rate. Don't have me wait 30-45 mins in your *&$ing waiting room and expect me to have a nice target blood pressure or pulse. They live in an entirely different reality then I do. Mad
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:11 am

Brent - That has always baffled me also - weighing people with all their clothes on especially in winter. They don't even tell you to take your coat off. Why do they weigh you every time you go there anyway unless you are there on a weight issue? Same with taking your temperature. "I'm here for a headache, not the flu" ???? They could eliminate the nurse that does that immediately and save people money.

Pen - Have you tried discussing your weight with your doctor? That doesn't seem normal not to lose weight if you are not eating. Of course these migraines are not normal either. Maybe you can take something that jump starts your metabolism. That would be frustrating. And there is always Dopamax. I will guarantee you will lose weight on that.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:28 pm

HI LInda,

I didn't get weighed today. But my BP wasnt too bad apparently.
I have discussed the weight issue, but no one seems interested.
I dont get enough exercise and have FMS...
I keep going back to my thyroid, but if its out, cant be by much I think.
I am not getting any heavier, and I Do NOT over eat, but it is just stuck to my hips and belly.
Menopause is the only other comment any of them make.....

P

pen

Back to top Go down

How is your weight? - Page 3 Empty weight gain / facelilft surgery to help migs....

Post  sherri b Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:14 pm

I am 30 over, although I just had foot surgery and am not allowed to walk on it yet. But yes, the migraines have made me so frustrated,,,, any over exersion makes the head hurt... arghhhhhh....

I was a runner for a while, but eventually had to throw in the towel. migraines took over my entire life.

I have an appointment Friday with a facelift dr. in Ohio that has been helping migrainers, not gonna get my hopes up, but at least going to the consultation and see if he can help. I'll let you all know
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  anywhere Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:21 am

estre004 wrote:Just an observation. It seems most of the comments on this forum about weight are blamed on a lack of exercise, if not the medication. I understand that medication and a lack of exercise can slow your metabolism so you aren't burning up your calories as fast, but FOOD (calories) is what puts the weight on. If you aren't burning them up as fast as you would like, you just can't eat as many (calories). I like to say calories instead of food because you can still eat a tremendous amount of food, just not calories.

I watch people diet and would just like to shake them. It is actually easy to lose weight (and maintain) if you eat right!!

I work with one of the top cardiologists and exercise physiologists in the world. He lives by what he preaches and is a picture of health at 80 years old! (By the way, he is the one that came up with that little pyramid (the modern one) you see with the food groups. Brilliant man. You don't see any extra pounds on him. Start counting your calories. You will lose weight!!

Not entirely true. I'm 30 lbs. up from where I started before all the preventatives. It doesn't matter what or how much I eat. I cannot lose an ounce. I've dieted, eaten sensibly with beautiful fresh food, eaten whatever I wanted -- and for the last three months, I've been eating next to nothing (due to another unrelated issue that seems to have resolved, thank goodness). Made absolutely zero difference.

As I said, I'm up 30. Like alli, once I got new clothes that fit, no problem. I'm fine with it.

Brent -- re: BP -- lots of them also don't account for the fact that pain raises your blood pressure.

anywhere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3