migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On air migraine

+7
Anna's Mom
sailingmuffin
dailyha-rose
lrobb98
lizholmesod
Migrainegirl
Sara79
11 posters

Go down

On air migraine Empty On air migraine

Post  Sara79 Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:08 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110218/ap_on_sc/us_tv_reporter_speech_problem

The US news reported who went incoherent on air was given a neuro exam, she'd had a migraine. Not her typical presentation, but as a migrainer myself, I can see it. I'm glad that it wasn't an on air stroke as was first thought.

BTW- many of the comments at the bottom are from the rude and ignorant, so I wouldn't read them. Some of their statements make me want to wish a migraine on someone, which I almost never would think.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

On air migraine Empty Re: On air migraine

Post  Migrainegirl Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Actually I don't mind wishing a migraine on ignorant idiots like that. I've no idea why some people need to say such stupid things about others who suffer from anything that hasn't happened to them, whether it's an illness, a job problem, or a family problem. Sadly they think it makes them superior or something, when it just shows how little they know.

And I feel quite sorry for the poor reporter. She must feel mortified over such an event while on the air.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  lizholmesod Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:17 am

Maaaaaan this is familiar! I viewed the video on Youtube.

This has happened to me SO many times. Terrified my husband just the other day doing the exact same thing. I can hear the same stops and starts and utter brain block in her speech.

Migraines are horrific...

The comments are worse.

LHx

lizholmesod

Back to top Go down

Post  lrobb98 Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:22 am

This is a young woman with a bad headache and a speech problem..migraine is the #1 consideration, which is what I thought as I watched the on-air "expert" doctor say it was a stroke, or epilepsy, never mentioned migraine.....Larry Robbins,M.D. http://www.headachedrugs.com

lrobb98

Back to top Go down

On air migraine Empty re:on air migraine

Post  dailyha-rose Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:51 am

thanks for posting this.

i just happened to turn on the local cbs station to see if our state capital drama was still playing out (madison, wisconsin). and saw the Today? show do an interview after showing a part of her broadcast sunday, night.

hopefully, this will give us some validation and get info. out to people. those of you who have the physical and mental strength might want to try to do an interview for any of the media near you. lots of times when a topic is hot, reporters want a story right away. who better to educate than one of us, right?

i can't help but notice that this story seemed to get a lot of time. i have seen really deep topics get a short amount of time and wondered if this was because she was a reporter. but, i am NOT complaining. any time devoted to migraines and education is great. maybe, maybe people will see us and start to understand that we have a real illness.

sorry, not been on this site much, since my hysterectomy1/18. have been recuperating. a different kind of daily pain! Sleep
but have now had 7 migraines since. will be posting again on "migraines after a hysterectomy?" later today or this weekend.

happy friday to you all.

rose

dailyha-rose

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:13 am

Yes, I immediately thought migraine as well. I have been in that position too many times as I frequently lose my speech with migraines.

Sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:25 am

Thanks all for validating my feelings...my first thought was 'Man, I wish they'd just get one major, ER visit of a migraine' Then the little guilty feelings crept in that I wouldn't wish this on people I know personally, so why would I wish this on a nameless faceless person.

I am glad that this is getting the truth about migraines out there, and I loved how the article described migraines.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:28 am

HH's perspective on it today (February 18th post):

http://thehappyhospitalist.blogspot.com/

Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Yes! I am not happy that this had to happen to this woman, but since it did...I am so happy it was on air, and on tape! I have had this happen, not exactly the same way, but if I were speaking as fast as she was it would have sounded a lot like that. I think that Neuro's and MD's alike need to view this video. I have tried to explain it to Dr's time and again and they look at me like I am nuts! This is why you don't want me operating machinery, driving, or doing any number of other things when I am having a migraine!! Maybe the world will finally get it! Although on ET they were thankful that it was nothing "major" that was wrong with her!!!!
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  charmed quark Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:24 pm

I routinely start having trouble talking coherently when a migraine is coming on. I don't talk gibberish but drop words and can't remember words and speak them out of order. I had this happen to me when I was presenting a paper to a large audience. I was totally embarrassed but luckily the migraine knocked all concerns with being a fool right out of my head.

When I first saw the video my first thought was "migraine".

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  lentils Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:12 am

Reporter talks about her on air migraine:

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2011/02/serene_bransons_doctor_talks_to_extra_about_her_condition.php?adid=021811_newsletter_rightnowimg_serene_bransons_doctor_talks_to_extra_about_her_condition

I don't know if that link will work

The article talks about the difference between a stroke and a migraine:

Blurred vision, flashing lights, numbness on her face. It (the migraine) moved along step by step-by-step over 10 or 15 minutes."

He continued, saying if it were a stroke, "You go from normal to having a severe neurological problem immediately. It doesn't evolve over a few minutes."

Read more: http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2011/02/serene_bransons_doctor_talks_to_extra_about_her_condition.php?adid=021811_newsletter_rightnowimg_serene_bransons_doctor_talks_to_extra_about_her_condition#ixzz1EagjahvQ

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:09 pm

My older son has had two of these episodes, both diagnosed as hemiplegic migraine. It scared me half to death - he spoke gibberish just like this poor lady, and couldn't see out of his left eye... I was convinced he was having a stroke. Then it resolved into a terrible headache. Both times he had a ct scan, and nothing showed up, so they called it "hemiplegic migraine"...

Poor girl- I heard they are making fun of her on Youtube.....

Holly
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down