migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ever feel like it'll never get better?

+3
pen
AZgirl
heyaim
7 posters

Go down

Ever feel like it'll never get better? Empty Ever feel like it'll never get better?

Post  heyaim Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:05 am

I've only had migraines for 2 1/2 years. Which is plenty long enough for me. My first migraine, January 11, 2008 lasted till June without one day of feeling ok.

There is always pressure behind my right eye that never goes away. It just gets worse and better. This whole summer it was a very small amount of pressure. Now that the weather is changing, that pressure is building and building. Eventually the whole right side of my head will feel like it is going to explode. I've had times where I truely felt like my head would literally explode...so much so I was surprised I was still alive when I woke up. Then once spring gets here and the warmer weather moves in (I live in Ohio), it will start to ease. It makes a long, miserable 6+ months of winter.

So far I have tried 22 prescriptions (triptans, beta blockers, anti-seizure, etc...I have tried vicadin but I'm trying to stay away from narcotics.) Triptans last about 6-8 pills, then quick working. Zomig is the only one I haven't tried...I'm saving that one for the holidays. Nothing else has helped. I'm starting to think this is all due to the barometer dropping.

I go Nov. 5 to see a new Neurologist (been to at least 10 Dr.'s) about something else and possibly Botox. Maybe I need to move. DH and I have talked about that. Maybe a calmer climate that doesn't have such crazy weather patterns. Our family is freaking out that we are even considering this an option. They don't get it.

Anyone else have migraines like this?

Thanks for listening. I'm just dreading the upcoming season. I've already been down for 3 weeks. No one else gets it.

Amy in Ohio

heyaim

Back to top Go down

Ever feel like it'll never get better? Empty Re: Ever feel like it'll never get better?

Post  AZgirl Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:03 am

Hi, Amy.

Yes, unfortunately I do know what it's like to have never-ending pain, pressure, etc. Some hours are better than others, some chunks of time make me want to never wake up. I have the good fortune of a very supportive husband and what others might see as "enabling" parents.

Have you had a lumbar puncture to check the pressure of spinal fluid in your brain?
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Ever feel like it'll never get better? Empty Re: Ever feel like it'll never get better?

Post  pen Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:25 am

Amy excuse my brevity, my head is balistic this morning and I have no idea why.
Just to say yes. I am in constant pain and some days I just want everything to end.
And it feels like it wont ever go away.
I have FMS and IBS as well. If its not one thing its another. I dont live, I exist.
But somehow we carry on. Not always sure why, but the odd better day is worth it I guess.

Take care,
Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:20 am

It waxes and wanes. Sometimes I feel like they are finally going away (22 years chronic) and then Fall rolls around and they are back full force. I've tried just about everything and nothing helps for long. Excerise does help and I know how hard it is to start and keep up an exercise program with migraines but it is worth the effort. They are less intense although the frequency hasn't changed all that much.

This is just a horrible disease.

alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:28 am

Hi,

Unfortunately, yes I know how it feels too. My migraines became chronic in 1997, at age 17, now 29. Since you can remember when yours started, you might want to look into the articles on New Daily Persistent Headache. There is a good article at helpforheadaches.com.

I have been to countless doctors, taken tons of preventatives, and finally got to the point where all we could do is treat it symptomatically. the best treatment for me has been an implanted occipital nerve stimulator, which helps in that it allows medications to work. Triptans only worked for a short while for me.

Despite this fact, things can get better. The stimulator has really helped me, along with pain control. You may not be at this stage yet, and I would look into botox. The most important thing is not to give up. You will have good days and bad days, but it will get a little better, I hope.

Yes, many of us have been there. I hope you feel better and find something that helps soon.

Pain free days
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:06 pm

Unfortunately I've already accepted the fact that I will always have this problem.

I'm finding out that is is very important to surround yourself with supportive people and jettison the ones who don't understand what you are going through. Negative energy is the last thing you need.

Never give up looking for help though.
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  heyaim Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:41 pm

Thanks for all the replies! A place in internet world that actually gets it!

I'm starting to get very anxious about my Dr. appt on Nov. 5th. My mom thinks botox is going to be it. I'm not quite so possitive. After already spending $1000's+ on meds and testing, I'm not expecting much. Maybe that's just so I'm not devistated if it doesn't help me. DH and I have talked, if this doesn't help me we are moving south to see if the warmer climate does help. I hate the thought of uprooting my kids, but if it gets me out and about it'll be worth it! If it doesn't help, I can always say I tried.

I'm so happy I've found this forum! Although I'm not so happy there are so many others out there going through too.

Take Care All!

heyaim

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm in Arizona, so while I do have the extreme heat to deal with in the summer, I get a reprieve all fall, winter, and spring with the weather. Yes, it does get cold, but there is no snow to deal with. I don't know if that plays as a factor or not.

In addition to regular migraine, I also have intracranial hypertension and have a shunt working constantly to keep my pressure stabilized, but I still have chronic pain daily.

If you move, yes, you can say you tried. We are a "grasping at everything" bunch, aren't we? Nice to meet you, and welcome to our corner of the world.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Ever feel like it'll never get better? Empty will it ever get better

Post  rileyoday Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:21 pm

heyaim, I understand being willing to move to fix your M. I had the same thought. I have spent time in FL. and SC without any difference. Also the people on this forum live in all states and countries.

I had daily chronic headaches turning to Migraine 4-5 times a week. Many Drs. and meds for 6.5 years. I have been doing well for almost one year. Clonodine .1 mg. three times a day. I just kept trying different meds and different Drs.

We find relief from different things so I hope you can keep on trying things.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down