migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When do you decide to go to the hospital?

+5
Jewishmother
Kate
02R96
jwar
Almostangela
9 posters

Go down

When do you decide to go to the hospital? Empty When do you decide to go to the hospital?

Post  Almostangela Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:37 am

I've had 5 days non stop migraine. I could be rebounding by now, but I don't know. I've lost count of painkillers I've taken, and I've taken 2 - 3 triptains/day.

It's never been this bad but I think, maybe if I hold out one more day. But at the same time, I'm in such a daze I don't really know what I'm doing. I don't know if I'm in trouble or making things worse. HOw much is too much?

I've never been to the hospital before for migraine. Can I expect help? What do they do?
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

When do you decide to go to the hospital? Empty Re: When do you decide to go to the hospital?

Post  jwar Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:04 am

Can you get in touch with your neurologist and explain what is happening? He or she will be able to do the same thing as the hospital, but without as long of a waiting time.

I've been to the hospital a few times for migraine. Basically they've given me injections of narcotic drugs, and then I had to wait in the hospital until the pain passed (or I said it passed).

I personally wouldn't necessarily recommend the hospital because you have to wait for a long time in a room with fluorescent lighting, etc and it's not very migraine-friendly. But if you can't get in touch with your neuro you might consider an emergency care center, too. If you have to go to the hospital, though, you have to go.

I hope you feel better soon.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

When do you decide to go to the hospital? Empty Re: When do you decide to go to the hospital?

Post  02R96 Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:08 am

I guess it depends on the hospital and the doctor you get. I always go when my pain meds won't make a dent in the pain, usually after two day's. Then all I need is a Toradol shot and a couple of Vicodin (5/500). BUT it's a $100.00 bill afterwords, so thankfully I haven't had to go too often.

If your pain is severe, you shouldn't hesitate to go. It could be a warning of something major.
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:03 am

I went only one time and had to wait for hours with tons of people in the waiting room. It wasn`t a pleasant experience. They gave me some kind of shot which did nothing. Maybe I would have had a better experience if I was already under a Drs care. The ER dr told me that most people with m can`t lift their head(I was able to lift my head up). Like assuming that I didn`t even have a migraine.She also told me that the pain in the back of my head was a tension headache, not a m. She was just an ER DR , not a Neuro. That`s why she knew so much about migraines....of course I`m being sarcastic.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Last time I went to the ER was pleasantly surprised that they had a dark, quiet room set aside for migraine sufferers while they waited their turn in the waiting area............such a nice idea.........made it much easier to wait my turn........now if they could only quiet the MRI or CAT scan equipment.....
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi,

Personally, I would see if your neuro can get you in on Monday.

However, if you are contemplating it, it is proabably time to bite the bullet and go. I would, however, try and wait till saturday morning as hospitals can be chaotic on the weekend- esp at night. If nothing is working, then please get some help. I hope you feell better soon. pain free days, sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:43 pm

I go when I can't stop crying...I try, try, try to avoid it. Not a pleasant place. Bright lights, babies crying....I usually wear one of hubbies baseball caps with a visor and a thick sweatshirt with a hood that I can pull up to block the sound. Also my migraine sunglasses.

Bring all your prescriptions, even your preventatives. They treat you less like a drug seeker if they see you are currently being treated.

It all depends on the Dr. Sometimes I get Toradol and Phenegran, sometimes I get Dilaudid and Phenegran. When I wasn't taking narcotics I was given Nubain and Phenegran. The Nubain worked wonders but can't be taken with opioids.

After five days, I would definitely go in and get relief. Do they have a Convient Care in your area? I did that once and got Toradol and phenegran with a script for five vicoden.

I haven't been to the ER in ages since my neuro prescribed Toradol for me at home and I now have a good pain management regime. But sometimes it's a necessary evil.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:28 am

Angela, I'm actually in the same boat. I've had a migraine for 10 days with only a 3 day break in between, it's miserable. Its bad enough that I won't go outside, the sunlight and the heat is killing me. Plus I think Treximet is causing excruciating rebound headaches (I never used to get rebound before I started taking Treximet, and I've been on it for 3 months and have had rebounds for 3 months now, grrr). Curtains drawn to block out the light, etc. Pain at a level 8 for most of those days.
Basically, I won't go because I have no insurance and can't afford to pay out of pocket for the visit. And besides that, I know what they give me won't work. Torodol shots? I've gotten them before at Urgent Care, they don't work for me. Vicodin? Dooesn't do much for my migraines. And to be honest, my dad has back problems, and he'll give me one of his vocodin if my head hurts so bad that I ask him for one, but since it doesn't work for me anyway, why bother? Phenegran the local ER has never given me. Demerol, ditto. It works but they won't give it to me. My rescue med, stadol, worked - that's the 3 days I had with no migraine in the last 10 days. Now the scrip is gone and the migraine is back. LOL The ER won't give me stadol, and neither will Urgent Care. Ironic that they'll give me vicodin or oxycodone but not stadol. So I'm suffering with the worst migraine spell I've had in ooover a year and don't know what to do.

I would go to the ER though, if I were you, if insurance is not a problem. Mainly because they may give you something that you haven't tried yet and it may work. Paradox has excellent advice though - take all your bottles so you can show them what you take and say, "see, this isn't working, give me something that will work." You might actually get something that will work that way! Very Happy

Let us know what happens, ok? I want to know that someone is able to get out of a multiday cycle. Smile
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:53 pm

I understand the dilemma - there have been times I know I should have gone and didn't. Sigh. It did go away but the endurance was awful and I won't do it again.

Bubbs - I'm one that came out. I had 14 days straight of misery. I'm not sure what happened but now I'm on day 5 of no migraine. scratch I usually only get 4 days max but whatever - I'll take it. Very Happy I happen to have a yucky cold so no m on top of that is wonderful. I'm just waiting to see if the shoe drops again but I'm hoping I've earned some brownie points somewhere and see how long this streak lasts. Although wouldn't that be the kick if it were the cure? Just have a horrid head cold and no m. Razz
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone. So far I've decided to wait a little longer and see the doctor next week if it doesn't stop. I've rationalized that migraines usually don't kill ya, even if you wish they would. Hospitals don't seem like the answer for releif. I could be wrong. Still on the fence. I will know it is time when I put on my coat.

Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down