migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It wasn't constipation it was diverticulitis

+12
MaryAnneLive
LG
Anna's Mom
CluelessKitty
AZgirl
alli
Ruth
kimsmom
lesherb
estre004
crt
Paradox
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

It wasn't constipation it was diverticulitis Empty It wasn't constipation it was diverticulitis

Post  Paradox Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:06 pm

I have a new nine for my pain scale.

They said they could keep me the night to get the pain under control (already had iv fentanyl) but my homing instinct has kicked in. I need to get home.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

It wasn't constipation it was diverticulitis Empty Re: It wasn't constipation it was diverticulitis

Post  crt Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Oh, great. Aren't you lucky? No Damn, if it isn't one thing, it's 20 others.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

It wasn't constipation it was diverticulitis Empty Re: It wasn't constipation it was diverticulitis

Post  estre004 Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:12 am

No more nuts.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:54 pm

Or seeds. Or cheese Sad
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:29 pm

Cheese? My Mom has this but I don't think she's ever been told to avoid cheese.

Remember to get seedless rye bread....that's important!
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:38 pm

My old boss had it also. I don't remember him mentioning cheese--just seeds and nuts.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:48 pm

Yes, cheese. My mom has it. I guess you need to see just what you can handle. Sometimes my mom can "get away with it." I think it is like headaches. Sometimes we can eat something and other times not. I think it has to do with how many other triggers you have had that day.

At least you know what it is and can now work towards feeling better. My mom takes Librax which helps her. Did they give you any Rx's?

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.
kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:42 pm

Right now I'm on two different antibiotics and painkillers. I'm still hurting, about a seven, but I was a nine yesterday (why not a ten? I was still ambulatory, though barely. Doubled over and had to stop and rest for the twenty foot walk. I could not talk, was just handing them my drivers license and insurance and panting "stomach").

The ER Dr. Asked me if I wanted to be admitted to get the pain under control, but I had been in the ER eight hours by that point and Richards homing instinct took over big time. I wanted my big bath tub and my soft bed.

At about 2:00 am I was really rethinking that decision, but in the light of the morning was very happy to be home.

I guess cheese is harder for some people to digest. Oh my snacks right before the attack? Homemade Caramel Popcorn and Brachs candy corn mixed with peanuts ( love the sweet and salty together. ) Suspect
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:58 pm

I had surgery for Diverticulitis a few years ago, had a foot of intestine removed. I was never told not to eat certain food but to make sure I get my fibre.

When I had a colonoscopy 2 or 3 years ago, it was clear but the doctor said he saw some diverticula, so make sure I get fibre, he also never told me to avoid seeds etc.

I do get chronic pelvic pain every so often that is miserable and I wonder if it is related.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:15 am

Ruth, there seems to two scohools of thought on the nuts popcorn, corn and seeds. It depends on what your Dr believes. Plus, I never want to go through this pain again i'lL err on caution.

The Emergency Room Dr Called this evening. Told me the radiologist hadn't advised him that my gallbladder and common duct were both enlarged. The ER wanted my GP to know that. Guess he thought is was important even if the Radiologist didn't. Ya think? Grrrrrr Mad. ER Dr. Said possible gallbladder stones in ADDITION to the diverticulitis.

Yup, might explain my pain levels!!!!!! Suspect
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:53 am

oh yeah... gall stones hurt. I had my gall bladder out 20+ years ago. It was an absolute misery before that. I knew I had stones since they saw them during my daughter's ultrasound, but didn't have it taken out for several more years and tooooo much pain. I hope everything starts to mellow for you.

alli
alli

Back to top Go down

It wasn't constipation it was diverticulitis Empty In the hospital

Post  Paradox Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:29 pm

My temp is rising, and just second ct scan.

Should be here in the hospital three to four days.

I'm sooo thirsty but they won't let me have anything not even ice chips.

I am miserable
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry you are hurting. What is the plan for treatment? Is there a surgery for this?
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Oh goodness gracious Charlotte, you ARE in SO MUCH pain!

Hugs sweetums, and hopefully it will be over asap.
Maybe it is just gallstones, and all you need is simple, quick removal.
Let us know of any changes, as soon as you can.
We are all rooting for you!

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:24 am

Sounds like it has gone from bad to worse! I didn't realize you were in the hospital Sad

Get better, girl!

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:49 am

I'm feeling much better today, though still insisting on pain meds every two hours. If the pain gets ahead of me in the least it's unbearable.

I'm not as miserable as I was though I would dearly like a drink of water. Cheryl, I'm glad the French toast I had on SUnday was so good cause it's the last thing I ate. Wish I would have ate it all!

So, I have not eaten or drank but they want the elusive bowel movement. Ha! I might be here a couple more days if that's the hold up! scratch ( not that I'm ready to go home. As much as I fought I am getting better quicker here)
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Aww Charlotte! Big hugs! I'm sorry you've had a rough go but I'm happy you are starting to feel better. I've never experienced gallstones but if they are similar to kidney stones, I can relate and it is very very tough pain. The no seeds/nuts intestine long word can't spell thing is common, no?both my inlaws have that. They avoid seeds like the plague but indulge in cheese. My MIL does get constant bouts of it and is always in the hospital because she can't stay away from peanuts. It does seem rather tough but once it passes, the worst is over thank goodness! It seems a little easier to manage than pesky migraines, too..

I hope each moment you feel a bit better and you get to eat and drink soon.

Hospital people are such a trap! "Here take a big poop! We know you have nothing in your system and haven't for days, but we will keep you here forevaaa!!!!!" Be strong with them Smile you are smarter than a good percentage of their patients LOL!!!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryAnneLive Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:01 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your pain. Like you need something else to cause you pain! How have the pain meds been with the headaches? Do they give you any relief? I hope so!

I hope you feel better soon!

Mary Anne
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:48 am

Charlotte - I feel so bad for you. You are such a trooper and hard worker-- and fun person. You don't have time for all this crap!
Hope you are feeling better by now.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Still in the hospital. Hoping to start on fluids tomorrow. I'm stll NPO.

Oh, but i did poop. Felt like a three year old I was so proud .
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:02 am

I hope the #2 has you feeling better soon. What a miserable thing to be hospitalized for. Hope things are balanced out soon and the pain gotten under control so you can go home. Please take care. flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:58 am

Charlotte,

I truly feel for you. I went through a similar thing when my appendix burst and I had to have emergency surgery. Since my digestive system was completely shut down, I had to have an NG tube. The tube goes into the nose and down the throat to the stomach. A pump takes out any liquid since it can't go the usual route. I wasn't allowed any water and not even ice chips. The worst part was that the tube irritated my throat and I would have given anything for a drink of water or a teaspoon of ice chips.

The routine was that the tube stayed in until I started getting bowel sounds again. So whenever a nurse came in to check my vitals, he or she would put the stethoscope on my abdomen too. They let me listen. Dead quiet. As you know, the digestive system is supposed to make noise. Not doing so is very bad. I had that damn tube in for 5 days. 5 days with no water by mouth. Of course I was getting water in an IV, but it's not the same as being able to drink it.

I wasn't able to eat in the days leading up to the burst appendix, so by the time I got done with the surgery, the week in the hospital, the NG tube, it had been 12 days since I had eaten. I like losing weight, but not that way!

Anyway, I couldn't have gotten through the whole horrible ordeal without constant, heavy duty pain meds. I feel for you.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:10 pm

Charlotte: How are you feeling? Are you still in the hospital?
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:40 pm

Quick update. I'm still in the hospital. Tomorrow will be day 7. I miss my bathtub, my shower, my bed, My son, my HUBBY.

Some of the newbies may not know I have a 22 year old son who is moderately mentally handicapped. On this forum I call him Robert. Robert does not like change and my being gone has upset him. Plus, Tuesday night, the night before I was admitted, he had made a terrible mess in his room. I was feeling so puny I yelled at him. I don't do that often as he is mildly autistic and does not like loud noise.

Hubby brought Robert to see me two days later and the first thing he said was "Mommy, I'm sorry I brought all that food in that room". I fear he thinks I went away cause I was mad. So on top of the pain, I'm having mothers guilt and cry every time I think about him. Hubby says I'm completely off base.

Had solids today handled it well. Ultrasound tomorrow on liver and gallbladder and maybe home. I dearly hope I go home tomorrow. Two of the Drs have said "probably" but the third has to sign off.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:16 pm

I'm glad to hear you are doing better and will get to go home soon.

I have many of my own stories about shouting at my girls, so I know how you feel about feeling guilty. Chin up, though, he's probably long forgotten about it.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next