migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5-htp supplement

3 posters

Go down

5-htp supplement Empty 5-htp supplement

Post  tinalouise Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:22 pm

I was reading in a magazine the other day that 5-htp can help with migraines especially this time of the year as the days are getting shorter and we aren't getting as much sunlight. Apparently it helps with the seratonin levels that decrease during this time of the year. I have never heard of it and am of course a bit skeptical. Any info would be appreciated. BTW, I looked for it in my local grocery store could not find it so i am assuming I would have to go to the vitamin store to get it.

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

5-htp supplement Empty 5 htp

Post  lentils Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:23 pm

If you do a search, especially on the old forum you will find posts about this supplement. I tried taking it at the beginning of a migraine, but it did not help and seemed to make the migraine that was coming worse. Vitamin D and calcium tablets cause migraines for me, although people take them without problems. I remember reading that 5http has helped other people, though. You might tell your doctor that you want to try it and be aware of serotonin syndrome.

lentils

Back to top Go down

5-htp supplement Empty 5-hpt

Post  rileyoday Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:58 pm

I was using this . I bought it at wal mart , k mart, rite aid, GNC. Natrol brand they all sell. After it worked I bought on e bay for less.

I had chronic daily headache / Migraine 4-5 times a week. 7 8 or 9 intensity. Changed to 4, 5 intensity . I took 50mg 3 x day. I had tried several scripts that were supposed to raise seratonin without relief.

I have been on clonodine 1 mg 3 x day with almost complete relief. Hope you find something soon.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

5-htp supplement Empty Re: 5-htp supplement

Post  tinalouise Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:51 am

riley..are you still taking it? I am assuming it did work for you then. I guess I will try it.

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

5-htp supplement Empty 5-hpt

Post  rileyoday Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Tina it worked for me by making the M less intense, and the daily HA also. you should try it as others have had some sucess.

I used it for a year but when i started the clonodine I did not need it any more. its about 20 in the store but only 5-6 $ on e bay.
make sure they state the experation date if you buy on line.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

5-htp supplement Empty Re: 5-htp supplement

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down