migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question: re: vitamins- herbs- supplements.....

+9
HeelerLady
tdu
adventuregirl
crt
ajr
annabella
rileyoday
chrissypalgal
Migrainegirl
13 posters

Go down

Question:  re: vitamins- herbs- supplements..... Empty Question: re: vitamins- herbs- supplements.....

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:36 pm

Does any herb or vitamin or supplement help your migraines. If so what are they. I have tried several with no help. Just wondering if I have overlooked any.

Back to top Go down

Question:  re: vitamins- herbs- supplements..... Empty Re: Question: re: vitamins- herbs- supplements.....

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:55 pm

The following combination is working for me:
400 mg Magnesium / day
12.5 mg Iodide /day
5000 mg vitamin D/ day
4 omega-3 pills/day
250 mg progesterone

This has worked well for the last 8 months. I have been having an increase in headaches over the past 2 weeks though, so I am getting worried.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Question:  re: vitamins- herbs- supplements..... Empty Re: Question: re: vitamins- herbs- supplements.....

Post  chrissypalgal Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:30 pm

400- magnesium......up to 800 when on my cycle
omegas
vit d
biotin

as for the brand I take Blaine Mag Ox 400 of magnesium, I get it at CVS.
chrissypalgal
chrissypalgal

http://throughthewordsofchronicpain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Question:  re: vitamins- herbs- supplements..... Empty vitamins supplements

Post  rileyoday Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:03 pm

I had success with 5- HTP . It lowered the intensity of my M from 7-8-9 to 5-6-7. 100-150 mg daily. started working in a week.

I also think some various vitamins helped though after 3 months I quit them and felt better ? B 1 B 6 B 12.

Keep trying. I hope better days for you real soon.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:16 pm

What is HTP?
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  annabella Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:16 am

Absolutely nothing like vitamins and minerals has helped me, ever! and I have tried them all. My son was able to get a form of Belladonna and cafergot in Thailand which helped him but Belladonna is illegal here in Australia.

Sorry, I wish I could be more positive about vitamins and herbal supplements, but I have spent thousands of dollars trying alternatives and they didn't work for me. I am not saying that they don't work for others - just not for me.

There was a guy who used to post on the old site years ago about chilli powder heading off a daily headache and I found that if I could use it quickly enough it did actually work. I was able to find them in capsule form and they are not expensive. I had to take them with milk and some food, and they were useful and did work for me. Some of the others on the site found them a little harsh on their stomachs.

If you look up the old site forums you may be able to find some of his posts. Sorry I can't remember his username.

flower
annabella
annabella

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:34 am

Riley, I have some 5HTP ready to go for my son, but haven't started it yet. I was glad to read your dosage amounts because that will give me an idea of where to start with him. Also to know it took a week to kick in was helpful. Thank you for posting that. Do you take it through out the day, and away from meals, or do you take it morning/night? Mine is enteric coated, but it does say avoid taking it with food, but then I've read it doesn't matter so much so I get confused! Thanks!
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:34 pm

I have had some success with 5-HTP also. Just be careful with it if you also use triptans to avoid the possibility of seratonin syndrome. Cayenne (chilie powder) was helpful also.Sorry to leave you hanging like this but have to put out a "forest fire" at work.
Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  adventuregirl Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:17 pm

annabella wrote:Absolutely nothing like vitamins and minerals has helped me, ever! and I have tried them all.

I was taking a really big combination of vitamins. I started out with a multi and just kept adding stuff to it. Well, I just quit all of them...I actually found out that my magnesium supplement had counter reactions with others! So I am holding off on vitamins for a bit to see how I do...

Good luck!
adventuregirl
adventuregirl

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:09 pm

There are 2 things personally believe when it supplement regiments. Most importantly (IMO), is that you have to be willing to commit a LOT of time to the regiment to see results. I learned this trying herbal remedies for other conditions. I have had success treating migraines with my regiment (Petadolex, CoQ10, B2, Magnesium) but I stuck with it for months (at this point I am over a year). I personally think it takes 3-6 months to see results. And I lean more towards the 6 month timeline.... Someone above mentioned they had success with a supplement in a week which is fantastic, but I think most people would admit that is not the norm.

...Which brings up the second issue though which has been mentioned already in the thread. You have to find what works for you, because the same regiment won't work for everyone.

With those 2 factors, the cost becomes an issue as well.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:21 pm

I think that can be true, but not necessarily.
I got immediate results. (2 days) when I started on the supplement plan.
My brother took less than 2 weeks to get his first pain free day in 2 years.

I do agree that not everything works for everyone though, which is why you have to keep trying things till you find something that works for you.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Question:  re: vitamins- herbs- supplements..... Empty supplement { 5-htp }

Post  rileyoday Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:58 pm

AJR, I took 5-htp in 50 mg. morning noon night. I do not know of any side effects though it may promote sleep or supress appatite.

Im certain it lowered the intensity as I was on a real bad 2 year streak.

I bought Natrol brand sold in GNC, rite aid . k mart. wal mart. I metioned that as I bought a " 2 for one " special and there was a difference. That is metioned often that not all supplements are the same so I went with what the big chains carry. Later I bought that brand at a big discount on e bay.

Hope your son finds some relief soon. My daughter gets M also. We have not found a reliable treatment for her yet. She has three a month so we are working with early abortive right now.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:40 am

Thanks for your dosage, Riley. I've given him 5-htp before, but don't think we made it to 3 a day only because usually if I'm not standing over him making him take it, it won't get done Smile I myself take L-tryptophan every night (which of course converts into 5-htp) and I LOVE it for helping me fall asleep and I think keeping me asleep a little better. I use iherb.com and I don't know what I'd do without them because I think I'd be paying a lot more for the tryptophan from my health food store. Thank goodness for the internet!

I hope you can find something to help your daughter with her migraines. Thanks again.
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:53 pm

I've been taking Butterbur and CoQ10 for 6 months or so and was getting breaks (finally). I added in Feverfew a couple weeks ago and my normal 3 days of HELL have gone to 1 day. I'm not complaining but I think it's the combo that's helping. Will keep watching and see if it's just a fluke but if it works, *shrug*, great. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Question:  re: vitamins- herbs- supplements..... Empty re: 5HTP

Post  Guest Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:36 am

Hi there: I have a question regarding 5HTP. If a person has been on Paxil (SSRI) and it did nothing for the headaches what are the chances that 5HTP would help. Seems like the wrong path to take in this case. Comments. (no longer on Paxil)

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:58 am

ajr wrote:Thanks for your dosage, Riley. I've given him 5-htp before, but don't think we made it to 3 a day only because usually if I'm not standing over him making him take it, it won't get done Smile I myself take L-tryptophan every night (which of course converts into 5-htp) and I LOVE it for helping me fall asleep and I think keeping me asleep a little better. I use iherb.com and I don't know what I'd do without them because I think I'd be paying a lot more for the tryptophan from my health food store. Thank goodness for the internet!

I hope you can find something to help your daughter with her migraines. Thanks again.

Ya, not to sound like a plug but iherb is pretty amazing. Their shipping rates to Canada are great too, and their customer service has been fantastic the few times I have had to contact them. You get discounts on larger orders as well. For anyone wanting to try out some of these supplements, it's a great way to try some good quality brands for a lot less. I even get my Sinus Buster nose spray and skin products I use like Emu oil through them.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:51 am

I'm in love with iherb too - I didnt' want to sound like a commercial (or even worse a trolling spammer) before either, but they are super great for prices and speedy delivery. I live in NY state and they are in CA, and I always get my orders in 2 days when I use first class postage (which is really cheap as well since it's by weight). flower I've given them so much of my money it's not even funny!
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  huuhdse90066 Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:55 am

in my country, they use herb.
and i think herb is useful.
Good luck to you!

michael jordan shoes
how to approach girls

huuhdse90066

Back to top Go down

Post  riversidekid Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:48 pm

I had good results with feverfew, but didn't 'solve' everything. One doctor wanted me to try Butter-bur, another wanted me to try Riboflavin (B2) so I went to my local health food store and found "Butter-Bur Extra" which is a combination of stuff. It took a few days to get used to it, but it's been helping! (again, not a full on solution, but it does seem to help.)

Riboflavin 200 mg
Magnesium 250 mg
Purple Butterbur root extract
Ginger extract 300 mg
Feverfew extract 50 mg
5-Hydroxy tryptophan 50 mg
riversidekid
riversidekid

Back to top Go down

Question:  re: vitamins- herbs- supplements..... Empty A few things gave my daughter relief

Post  brendak Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:41 pm

for a while.

She tried oral magnesium--didn't help, but got magnesium injections a few occasions from an MD that also did naturpathic stuff (not sure if I spelled that right). Insurance paid for that, BTW. It helped at first, one time immediately killing off a headache that nothing had been able to touch for over a week. Then we went right out to eat at Applebee's and the headache came back Sad Probably the cheese or who knows what else. (several of us used to feel sick after we'd eat there . . . so we don't go there anymore). After that time, the shots didn't work again.

Riboflavin (B2) helped quite a bit for a while (I can't remember the dose. The pills were 200 mg).

I asked the neurologist why those things stopped working and he said the recepters were already full.

Petadolex . . . . not sure. The aftertaste/burping was unpleasant for her. But I have another daughter that can kill a headache (not a migraine) if she takes it when it starts. I know that's not supposed to work that way, but for her it has.

brendak

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:15 am

riversidekid wrote:I had good results with feverfew, but didn't 'solve' everything. One doctor wanted me to try Butter-bur, another wanted me to try Riboflavin (B2) so I went to my local health food store and found "Butter-Bur Extra" which is a combination of stuff. It took a few days to get used to it, but it's been helping! (again, not a full on solution, but it does seem to help.)

Riboflavin 200 mg
Magnesium 250 mg
Ginger extract 300 mg
Feverfew extract 50 mg

riverside kid, is that everything in the supplement you are taking? I have one that's similar but doesn't have 5-HTP in it.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Question:  re: vitamins- herbs- supplements..... Empty ANYONE REPLY TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS CONCERNING FEVERFEW OR..................

Post  flo_02472 Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:23 pm

a combo with feverfew that reduces migraine for you plus the doseage taken. Thamks,

flo_02472@yahoo.com

flo_02472

Back to top Go down

Post  riversidekid Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:28 am

tdu wrote:
riversidekid wrote:I had good results with feverfew, but didn't 'solve' everything. One doctor wanted me to try Butter-bur, another wanted me to try Riboflavin (B2) so I went to my local health food store and found "Butter-Bur Extra" which is a combination of stuff. It took a few days to get used to it, but it's been helping! (again, not a full on solution, but it does seem to help.)

Riboflavin 200 mg
Magnesium 250 mg
Ginger extract 300 mg
Feverfew extract 50 mg

riverside kid, is that everything in the supplement you are taking? I have one that's similar but doesn't have 5-HTP in it.

Yes, those are the ingredients from the side of the bottle. There is a local heath food store that turned me on to it, but I have found it online as well, one example is ButterBur Extra. Although in my case the local health food store has it at the same price, so I just buy it locally.
riversidekid
riversidekid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down