migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sleep study last night...

5 posters

Go down

Sleep study last night... Empty Sleep study last night...

Post  Guest Sat May 22, 2010 11:16 am

I had a sleep study last night. It was more comfortable than I had imagined it would be. Did not go to sleep til about 3Am. They wake you up at 5:30AM to go home. Just thought I'd share. The results don't come in for 3 - 4 weeks though. Anyone had a study done? Share your experience please.

Back to top Go down

Sleep study last night... Empty Re: Sleep study last night...

Post  pen Sat May 22, 2010 11:26 am

I have never been offered anything like this.
Does anyone in UK know if we even do them?

My migraines 95% come on in the night, would love to know why.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Sleep study last night... Empty sleep studies

Post  dcook60 Sat May 22, 2010 12:47 pm

gail, i've had FIVE of these. too long a story to relate now. useful info was obtained by all of them, but for me, the "cure" for my sleep disorders is worse than the disorders.

i got my results the very next day. it's ridiculous that your results should take so long. the reams of data was scanned through by the sleep doc in my presence, and then a more detailed report came later, of course. but i knew what my diagnosis was, almost immediately. write me privately if you like, dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Sleep study last night... Empty re: sleep study last night

Post  dailyha-rose Sat May 22, 2010 12:50 pm

hi there!

i had a couple of sleep studies done.

tried a nap study. could not fall asleep within the allowed time limit.

i remember the sleep study results did not help me with my migraines.

they did prove that the preventative medications were causing me to move around a lot during the night.

i had kicked my husband two times and then kneed or slapped with open fist him in the groin!! and i quicky got another sleep study done after that happened.

worst part is getting all that stuff out of my hair.
best was getting off the preventative and my husband able to sleep with out fear.

rose Sleep

dailyha-rose

Back to top Go down

Sleep study last night... Empty rose

Post  Guest Sat May 22, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks for making me laugh! I just washed my hair and the goop is still in it. I guess it will take a few washing. (I'm considered putting baby oil on it to loosen it up....hopefully)

Back to top Go down

Sleep study last night... Empty Hi Pen:

Post  Guest Sat May 22, 2010 5:24 pm

I'm in Canada. My sleep study was done in the hospital. Where I am we only have one hospital. I was told that they do 6 people per night. 7 nights a week. My point being (I'm getting to it (: ) I would think they do them in the UK. They sound pretty common. Otherwise a city with only one hospital wouldn't do them. But, life is strange. So who knows for sure. G.

Back to top Go down

Sleep study last night... Empty Sleep Study

Post  crt Sat May 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Yes I did two sleep studies. It's expensive and my insurance didn't cover it all. I still owe on it. I got a diagnosis right away also. I have mild sleep apnea. A CPAP machine was prescribed. It does help me sleep better when I am able to keep the mask on. And yes, it reduced the night migraines a lot. I need to get another mask, one that fits me better so that I don't rip it off in my sleep.

It makes sense to me that apnea could trigger a migraine. Not enough oxygen to the brain = Pain. CPAP machine is not delivering oxygen but it is enabling the wearer to breathe better and get her/his own oxygen from the air.

As with many things, it's a matter of money. I have a broken tooth I have to get fixed first before I can buy a new mask.

If you have sleep apnea and a CPAP machine is prescribed and you can find a mask you can tolerate wearing, I recommend it.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Sleep study last night... Empty Chris

Post  Guest Sun May 23, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks for the input. I am in Canada. The sleep study was covered by our insurance. Here it would havae been over $400.00 had it not been covered. I am sorry yours wasn't looked after by your insurance.

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sun May 23, 2010 12:12 pm

I had one done a few months ago, and it took weeks for me to get the results. I had to travel to another town (60 miles one way) for the sleep study because our local hospital does not do them.

I had a raging migraine from the trip over there and had to take pain meds. No sleep apnea or other problems. I was able to sleep in a recliner so I was comfortable (I always sleep in one just to be comfortable). Really no explanation for my insomnia.

I was able to get all the goop out of my hair with the shampoo & lots of conditioner they provided at the hospital and using my short fingernails. I alternated between shampoo and conditioner which loosened the goo. flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Sleep study last night... Empty becky

Post  Guest Sun May 23, 2010 3:33 pm

thanks for the info re: conditioner. I didn't shower at the hospital. Had I perhaps they would have suggested something to get it out!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 23, 2010 6:40 pm

have had a total of 3 sleep studies in sleep labs.

have obstructive sleep apnea, CPAP low pressure prescribed.

horrible time trying CPAP. sleep was poor, mask fit was poor. ended up returning the machine.

now going to try a dental appliance (costs around 750).

my 02 sats drop a bit.

for me, i don't think it has an impact on my migraines.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down