migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting study

5 posters

Go down

Interesting study  Empty Interesting study

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:04 pm

Study showing significant differences in the nerve sheaths of migrainuers.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-11-migraine-linked-defective-insulation-nerve.html
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Interesting study  Empty Re: Interesting study

Post  Mini Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:00 pm

This is very interesting article (and concept), I just wonder if there are other studies confirming these findings.
If indeed there is possibility that we are missing this "coating" on our nerves, perhaps new treatments could be found, in time. I just wonder why the research is done by plastic surgeons, and was not discovered in all the research on M done by various neurologists the world over.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:26 pm

I wonder if it means our nerve sheaths are weak/ damaged due to heriditary or other factors, thus leading to migraines ? Or if the migraines themselves created the damage? I don't think they can tell at this point.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:16 am

Very interesting study and would explain why the Cefaly is quite effective for many since it effects the trigeminal nerve. I sent it along to my doctor, she still hasn't responded to my request for a Cefaly.
Kem10
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:46 am

Since MS is a demyelinating disease, I wonder if there is any connection....
Kem10
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Interesting study  Empty Study

Post  Harvey Chim Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi I came across your post by accident. I am an author on the study. There is a powerpoint presentation on my website at the University of Miami Medical Center which may provide more information on this study. I think it shows a good reason why migraine surgery is effective in relieving severe migraine headaches. Would be happy to answer any questions you have on this.

://surgery.med.miami.edu/plastic-and-reconstructive/migraine-surgery

Harvey Chim

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:31 am

Hi All,

Thanks so much for posting.

This is an interesting article. I'm not terribly surprised that nerve abnormalities are present in migraineurs. Migraine can really mess with any part of the brain. I know that the cranial nerves play a huge part in migraine. The two periods of remission I've had in 17 years occurred after bilateral radiofrequency and after the occipital nerve stimulator was implanted. It also gives us a clue as to why Botox can be helpful- it paralyzes the nerves. I'm very glad that more research is being done. This is just another piece in the migraine puzzle.

Pain free days,
sailing
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down