migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are we turning into Dr Spock thanks to migraine...

+5
Anna's Mom
tecky
lentils
Almostangela
Senna
9 posters

Go down

Are we turning into Dr Spock thanks to migraine... Empty Are we turning into Dr Spock thanks to migraine...

Post  Senna Sun May 02, 2010 10:29 am

Strange but this is quite true. Remember Dr Spock who had green blood?
Have you checked yours lately.

Apparently doctors were horrified to find that patient on whom they operated, had dark green blood pouring out of his vein.

The reason was that apparently he was suffering from M, and was taking too large dose of Sumatriptan - 200mg a day, and this was the cause.

If yo want to read more about it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6733203.stm

Amazing!
Do some of us have green blood in our veins?
I know that I never need to take more then one Imitrex in any 24 hours, but it makes you shudder all the same.
The things that M does to us.

Just when we think we know all about it...
Do you think our blood gets green?

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Are we turning into Dr Spock thanks to migraine... Empty Re: Are we turning into Dr Spock thanks to migraine...

Post  Almostangela Sun May 02, 2010 11:53 am

Wild I must have had green blood yesterday.

I knew we were special What a Face alien
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Are we turning into Dr Spock thanks to migraine... Empty green blood

Post  lentils Sun May 02, 2010 1:40 pm

I wonder if the patient was getting relief from 200 mg or was it a futile effort to control M?
I was once advised by my GP to take up to 200 a day when I stopped getting relief from one tab, instead I stopped taking it altogether.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Are we turning into Dr Spock thanks to migraine... Empty Re: Are we turning into Dr Spock thanks to migraine...

Post  Senna Sun May 02, 2010 2:12 pm

I take it the green one on the right is you - taken yesterday, Angela?

Lentils, I think it was probably the right decision for you. Some people respond to one kind triptan, but no other, so it is worth trying when one does not work.
Were you able to find any other relief instead?

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sun May 02, 2010 3:21 pm

I always admired Spock's ears. When can we expect to develop those? At least it would be an outward sign of what we're suffering with (in addition to the green blood). lol!

What next? alien
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Sun May 02, 2010 3:31 pm

Anna had a neuro who told her she could take up to 300 mg. Imitrex per day.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Sun May 02, 2010 3:34 pm

I should add that when she saw him, she was probably on six or more preventatives.

He told her to stop them all cold turkey (that day).

And the next day he wanted her to start a bunch of new and different ones.

I'm surprised she didn't go into shock or something, when she did this.

Eight years ago...

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Mon May 03, 2010 3:04 pm

Sorry Cheryl, this is appaling.
But then I must admit, that I cannot comprehed the way that medication is so ofter heavily overprescribed in your country. It horrifies me at times.
I think we are sometimes underprescribed here, but I do not know which is worse.

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Tue May 04, 2010 11:26 am

I just have to say here that it was Mr. Spock who had the green blood and Dr. Spock who told us how to raise our children. Mr. Spock never had any children, no little Spockie juniors running around. Mr. Spock would say that it is not logical for humans to have green blood. Then he would bid us, "Live long and prosper." Yes, I'm a TV addicted sci-fi geek!

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Tue May 04, 2010 6:13 pm

We can never be sure that Spock never had children. Think about all those planets he visited with all the exotic alien women he encountered. Razz

The Enterprise was a huge ship and probably had a lot of broom closets to.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed May 05, 2010 7:40 am

HA! When I first read the title I was wondering what spanking our kids had to do with migraines. Can you tell I'm not a trekker?
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Wed May 05, 2010 9:23 pm

I think "House", too had an episode with a patient yielding green blood from Imitrex
also I remember our own case of "Spockiness":
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/06/08/health-green-blood.html

so we have quite a number of cases of 'green' from Imitrex!

btw my first thought was also of Dr Ben Spock,
and while reading I was confused until the very end almost, lololol
although I do know Star Trek, but I am not a Trekkie

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Thu May 06, 2010 1:27 am

Thanks for the further info, Risa.

I think maybe we are not: "the race of pointy-eared, logic-seeking Vulcans." but we are definitely the logic-seeking creatures here when it comes to trying to resolve the mystery of the migraine condition, and maybe when we finally find the final answer how to cure it, the red blood will be returned to us all.

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu May 06, 2010 11:57 pm

what a coincidence - anybody watched Jeopardy tonight?
It was a Million Dollar Celebrity Invitational Tournament episode, with Jane Curtin, Cheech Marin and Michael McKean.

Somebody answered a question about a hand sing but got it all wrong because he said "who is DR..." and Jane got it right as she said "who is MR Spock"!

Noona by Jove you know your Trekkie stuff - indeed it's MR Spock not the DR! you would win this one hands down! Smile

btw I think Michael was a big winner in this round. way to go Michael! good luck tomorrow!

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Fri May 07, 2010 8:08 am

Yes, Risa, I would have known that one. Too bad I couldn't make some money from it! It would be nice to just have a real life where I'm not watching so much TV.

I'm with you, Senna, it would just be great if there weren't such a phenomenon as green blood from taking Imitrex. Can you imagine what we've done to our bodies in the search for relief from migraine pain? I can't take any triptans because I hit the point where it bothered my heart. I guess I can see why that would happen because it would have to be affecting your blood's ability to carry oxygen which would starve your heart. Yikes!

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down