migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question On Manners Here and There

+18
Hal
alli
estre004
Senna
theresae
HeelerLady
Paradox
Ivy
tecky
Almostangela
Brenda
crt
marion
milo
survivor
LizzieB
pen
Richard
22 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Question On Manners Here and There - Page 4 Empty Re: Question On Manners Here and There

Post  Brenda Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:02 am

I can't imagine growing up in a world with no jello salads or jello pudding. LOL Such staples here in the US. I also spoke to someone from Australia about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. He'd never heard of them!! When I told them what it was and how common it is here, he was kind of grossed out. lol
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Question On Manners Here and There - Page 4 Empty Re: Question On Manners Here and There

Post  pen Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:10 am

Unfortunate name isnt it?? Very Happy
Does sound like an unfortunate affliction....

It is a steamed suet pudding with dried fruit, currants or raisins.
You have it with custard.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:13 am

Brenda wrote:I can't imagine growing up in a world with no jello salads or jello pudding. LOL Such staples here in the US. I also spoke to someone from Australia about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. He'd never heard of them!! When I told them what it was and how common it is here, he was kind of grossed out. lol

We can make jello salad by using Jelly Brenda, but everyone thinks it is weird.
Why I have no idea given we eat pineapple or apple with pork.
It is the jelly thing they cant handle.....we love it.

I have been eating peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches all my life .
You need the jelly, otherwise it sticks to the roof of your mouth.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:23 am

pen wrote:Unfortunate name isnt it?? Very Happy
Does sound like an unfortunate affliction....

It is a steamed suet pudding with dried fruit, currants or raisins.
You have it with custard.

Sounds like what I feed the birds in the winter.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:25 am

It kind of is Linda.
Personally I hate it, I dont care for "puddings" hate suet.
My husband and elder daughter love it.

We also have Jam rolly polly

cheers

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:30 am

I'm sure you would like American "pudding" if you haven't already had it.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:48 am

I have had most American things Linda.
Many years of friends here (until last 10 years),
and two trips over have given me reasonable culinary experience.

I am sure there are things I have missed though.
Not been East, only west.

As a family we are into American things...my influence I suppose.
We wanted to move there 20 years ago, but America didnt want us.

Sad

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:12 pm

sliced raw potatoes

RAW potatoes? you eat raw potatoes? interesting.
Never heard of that... gotta try sometime.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:15 pm

CluelessKitty wrote:
sliced raw potatoes

RAW potatoes? you eat raw potatoes? interesting.
Never heard of that... gotta try sometime.

Risa

I never cared for it, but often when I was growing up and Mom would be slicing potatoes for dinner, she'd munch a few raw slices as she went.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Olee Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:06 am

I hate that I didn't jump into this thread sooner. I'm originally from Savannah, Georgia with a mix of Southern and Irish background, so Sunday dinners were always something to look forward to. It was awesome to have the entire family sit down together on Sunday and eat a big meal, like a holiday of sorts. No tv, no shopping, just sharing a meal. We always had a mix from week to week, fried chicken, mash potatoes, corn on the cobb, home made biscuits and yes we would have our sweetened ice tea. With us living in Savannah, there was always seafood being served as well. Blue crab, shrimp, lots of good stuff. On the special days we would have a low country boil, which is where we boil a mixture of potatoes, sausage, corn on the cobb, shrimp, and crab for hours. We put down brown paper bags or newspapers on the picnic tables and pour out the mixture onto the table where everyone dips in. I still try to have those dinners on Sunday even now. My wife and I always plan one big meal on the weekend so we as a family can sit down and share time. There's just nothing like choosing the meal, cooking, and most of all eating.

Manners are so important and yet seem to be more of a skill these days than a natural behavior. My wife tells me to this day she enjoys that I open the car door for her, even if we are just going grocery shopping. I always open her door, let her get in, and then walk around to my side, it's what I was taught as a young boy. I always hold the door going into a business for her or any woman, or elder. Yes I get the response sometimes of, I don't need your help. But what I am really doing when I hold the door is respecting you. It amazes me to see men of all financial levels and ages make their partners run through the rain to the car when leaving a business. The first time I told my wife to wait on the curb underneath the awning when it was raining while I get the car, she was shocked, I thought it was sad. I really thought about this the other day when I was entering a restaurant and an elderly couple was leaving the building, he using a walker. I stopped in my tracks, and held the door for them until they were outside the building. The husband thanked me and made a comment that there were still some gentlemen in the world. I was flattered but saddened at the same time, because of what the statement meant.

Just for a laugh, yes I do drink Coke, and to my grandparents it was cocola. My wife drinks pop, which I still don't know what that is. We're comedy relief for each other being from different regions. Sometimes I "fix" supper, although my wife says it doesn't need any repairs.
Olee
Olee

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:30 am

Ahhh, a breath from my past (and present). I, too, am a door opener - especailly for the elderly. I am the guy standing there holding the door while hordes race thru. LOL Your post brought back many pleasant memories of the soft Southern drawls of Virginia winding around the table after we fixed Sunday Dinner. In the midlands of Virginia and SC, we did not add seafood to our meals automatically - it was a holiday treat. Except for vacations.

We spent a few weeks each summer at En-Da-Tar ... my uncle and aunt's cabin on the Great Wicomaco River and the cheasapeake Bay. Heaven for us boys ... sailing and skiing and beach combing and crabbing and fishing - just ideal for boys. And every night was Sunday Dinner - everyone around the table who was there that day - fresh catch for dinner - crabs or oysters or fish or all three. No interent, no TV, no video games. Just family having fun together.

I am sounding like an old man - I love the internet - it allows me access to the world and to wonderful people. But I worry about the kids I love who think "fun" is a great video game. It bothers me.

thanks for sharing your Southern charm with us all.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LizzieB Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:26 am

It's good to hear some men still hold a door open. I'm probably old fashioned but I love chivalry and feeling protected. Mind you, I also want to earn as much as my husband (which I don't) so I guess I must be a hypocrite!

We still have a big Sunday lunch when the children are home, they seem to still want it and there's usually a good atmosphere, while we linger and chat. It's also the only day I make a pudding, something like apple and blackberry crumble. You seem to have a lot of pies over there - I'd like to try one Smile

Richard - keg beer is chilled but real ale has to be at cellar temperature (ie not chilled but cooler than room), it kills the favour if it's too cold. I hate the stuff but that's what my husband always tells me! Smile

Liz
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:59 pm

Ollee and Richard - keep up the good work. I love men to open my doors, walk on the curb side of the sidewalk, help me with my coat, etc. etc. I don't expect it (as times have changed and I would surely be disappointed), but it is so appreciated. Men that do not do this are missnig out, because the thoguhtfulness is most likey returned in a relationship and if it is a stranger, it just must make you feel good Very Happy I love you guys!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:28 am

I taught my son to open doors for a lady, or basically anyone coming behind him or who needs help. It is a lost courtesy and needs to be reintroduced. Keep up the good work all you men out there!

I think that one of the worst things "women's lib" did was brand certain courtesies as condescending. I personally like to have doors held open for me. I like to the civil courtesies that make life pleasant. I also like making the same money for the same job and being treated as if my brain is just as good as any man's. That should also be a "Common Courtesy". Hopefully it will turn out that way in the fullness of history.

I'm rambling.... migraine head is making my philosophical.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4