migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question On Manners Here and There

+18
Hal
alli
estre004
Senna
theresae
HeelerLady
Paradox
Ivy
tecky
Almostangela
Brenda
crt
marion
milo
survivor
LizzieB
pen
Richard
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Question On Manners Here and There - Page 3 Empty Re: Question On Manners Here and There

Post  Hal Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:38 am

Then I am SOL. That is "Sure Out of Luck" for you dirty minded people.
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Question On Manners Here and There - Page 3 Empty Re: Question On Manners Here and There

Post  HeelerLady Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:43 am

Hal wrote:Then I am SOL. That is "Sure Out of Luck" for you dirty minded people.

Now whatever would you mean? Wink My mother substituted Sorry for Sure. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:45 am

LOL, I have to get off of this forum. It is corrupting my mind. Besides, I have exceeded my posting limit and have chores to do. Ya all have a great day, ya hear.
Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:49 am

You heathens! You enjoy a soda or a Coke (generic for all soft drinks except ginger ale and tonic water! LOL ) But "pop" ?? Oh my, now that is just plain wrong! ROTFLMAO
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:07 pm

estre004 wrote:Brenda- it is "pop" for me also.

In England they are called "fizzy drinks"
In my house we call them sodas or pop as well, because we have had a lot of American influence.
(Lived near a USAF base as a kid).
But we have to say fizzy drinks or name them to our fellow Brits.
Mind you when I was a kid we called it pop.....bottle of pop. bom

Last edited by pen on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:34 pm

yep, fizzy drinks it is for us also pen.
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Risa,
Your description is pretty much the same as in our house...
Good idea to clarify what we as well as when we partake.

Smile

It may please you - or confuse Wink
- that back in Poland we used to have dinner at two or later, everyday on the account that it was usually the time when everyone has finished work or school.

But then, all our cutlery was silver even for regular everyday use Smile

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:44 pm

I actually forgot about that part Risa. Every Sunday my mom used to have us polish the silver before meal time and we used the good china. What a heck of a lot of work to be done to eat. I guess we didn't live in a rat race back then. I can't imagine doing that now. During the week we used "everyday" china but my mom always used linens and set a fancy table. I'm lucky if I do that on EAster Sunday now.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:57 pm

My grandfather taught me that food tastes better off of sterling silver. I think he was being rather silly ... but he did instill in me a love of sterling silver. they used it all the time ... but I use mine only on special occasions ... have to hand wash it so not for everyday around Ravenhurst.

But growing up, Sunday Dinner was mandatory attendence, table cloth, big meal with family. I rather miss it. But a nice Sunday Dinner is silly for a single guy whose daughter is grown up. Oh well, different times.
Richard
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Makes a big difference when you are the one doing all the work also. It was quite nice when my mom was doing it. She didn't work either. This is what she did. I would like that life, but those days are pretty much done for most people.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Since my daughters had to move back for a while...recession hit, apartment now rented out.
One of them got made redundant last year.
She does a lot of the cooking, great for me.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 am

Richard wrote:I may be showing my age and Southern roots ... but does anyone else do Sunday Dinner? A large meal at midday with a light supper at night? It is like a reverse of lunch and dinner on the weekdays. Just curious.

We always did this at my Mammaw's. Dinner was at 1:00 to give everyone time to get home from church and to Mammaw's house. It was fried chicken most of the time. That was the only time I ever saw electric skillets! I mentioned that to Mammaw one time and she said that was the only way she could get all the chicken done on time.

Mammaw was Mom's mom and Mom had 10 brothers and sisters.

Supper was generally very light. If my dad was home (he was in the Army) we had boiled eggs, sliced raw potatoes and saltines - which we called soda crackers.

I still cook Sunday dinner if my boys are home. I want to feed them a big meal before they scatter to the four winds. It could be anything. Last Sunday we had a fish fry and my husband's entire family was in. I think there were 16 of us. We had dinner at 1:00. Except for his two sisters. There families were here but they didn't show up until 45 minutes later. We ate w/out them.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:02 am

After reading the above post, I realized every time Sunday dinner was at my Grandma's instead of our house it was always fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy and jello with fruit cocktail. Always. When it was at our house I particularly remember in summer my dad barbequing roast chickens on the spit and churning homemade icecream. After Sunday dinner (lunch), we would take a ride in the country. What laid back times!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Did you all know that Jello salad is unheard of in England?
We called Jello Jelly for a start and ours comes as cubes of gelatin, nor crystals.
But no one would think of putting say pears in green jello and eating it with meat.

Personally I love it and we have had it many times (American influence as child from USAF friends).
But I still cant get anyone English to try it.

Not keen on it with gravy though... Very Happy

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:33 am

Pen - you don't put the gravy with the jello Razz It was put on a salad plate. Some people serve it as a dessert with whipped cream and there are hundreds of recipes made with jello. I hardly ever make it, but it was a big part of my childhood.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:43 am

estre004 wrote:Pen - you don't put the gravy with the jello Razz It was put on a salad plate. Some people serve it as a dessert with whipped cream and there are hundreds of recipes made with jello. I hardly ever make it, but it was a big part of my childhood.

I know Linda.... Very Happy

We dont even sell it here.
I also found out that you cant make an English trifle with Jello, it has to be Jelly.
But we love grape and cherry here and everything in England is boring orange strawberry and lime.

Ooh and the kids liked Jello pudding. We have nothing like it here.

Used to get Kool aid sent over for the grape and cherry.

Another useless fact. England doesn't have Kool Aid....

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:07 am

Have to admit that it surprises me that you don't have that stuff. They are almost staples here if you have kids. Do you want me to send you some? I will.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:15 am

Kids, smids ... I love my Jello Instant Pudding ... hunger, 2 minutes, dessert. With walnuts, bananas, or dried cranberries ... yum! You poor Brits ... warm beer and no jello - the Old World has it rough! LOL
Richard
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:23 am

Now you've got me hungry Richard -- when you mentioned the nuts and bananas. I will have to buy me some.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  nursebeth Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:48 am

Sunday dinner, every Sunday at my Mamaw's too ---- good times, a whole houseful of adults & kids................ and everything tasted better at her house Smile

Meals for me are breakfast, dinner & supper. But just a few miles away it's breakfast, lunch & dinner.......

now i hardly cook at all, maybe someday when there is a SO in my life or my sons actually come home for a visit!

beth
nursebeth
nursebeth

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:57 am

Oxford is a very multicultural city, so I have friends from all over the globe. Because we know these things are open to interpretation we all just clarify what we mean when inviting people over. But that still means some differences arise. I'd never turn up to a party or meal without a gift - wine, chocolates etc. Yet I know several people who think that as they are being invited to said party it is up to the host to supply all drinks etc and don't bring a gift.

We call our meals all sorts of things interchangeably in our house. And have adopted Hobbit terms for the ones that don't quite fit too. Our meal patterns aren't very fixed, so could be a combination of any of these :-

Breakfast - cereal or toast, maybe eggs or cooked breakfast sometimes

Second breakfast / Elevenses (used with irony as hubbies aunt uses this term a LOT!) - mid-morning snack usually with a cup of tea

Brunch - late breakfast, often eaten out of the home with friends

Lunch - small meal eg sandwich or soup at midday-ish

Afternoon tea - sandwiches, cakes and cup of tea usually eaten out of the home when relatives are visiting for something to do!

Dinner about 7-8pm ish - evening meal, largest of the day

Tea (as a meal not a drink) - often used interchangeably with dinner, but could mean a smaller meal than dinner served a bit earlier too

Supper - don't really use this term at all. If we have a later snack it is just called a snack, or second dinner!!

Generally have 3-4 meals a day, so not all of these every day or we'd be huge.

Sunday dinner we tend to call Sunday Lunch in my family, but it's served about 3-4 and is a huge meal. Doesn't happen all that often, just if we are having family get togethers. Usually consists of meat (and a veggie alternative for me such as a veg pie), roast potatoes, a few types of veg such as roast parsnips, kale, carrots and brussels sprouts, gravy and, my very favourite food, Yorkshire Pudding. Plus I love condiments such as horseradish sauce, cranberry jelly, apple sauce or mustard with mine.

Hubby and I rarely do a big Sunday dinner on a Sunday, but we sometimes do the same meal midweek or on a Saturday evening. No real reason, just if we fancy it.

Mmmm, really hungry now. Jacket potatoes tonight.

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:02 am

Just what is Yorkshire pudding? I believe it is English. Not unheard of in the US but not common at all.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:17 am

I hyperlinked to the wiki entry. Yorkshire Pudding

Good with gravy, but also good with ice cream and syrup on them. It's kind of (English) pancake batter mix. The batter is also used poured into a big dish with sausages to make Toad in the Hole (yum!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toad_in_the_hole

But just to confuse the matter English pancakes are a bit different to US ones - more like crepes, thinner and lighter, no raising agents in the batter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancakes

I love pancakes too, and I do make US style ones as well. Love wholewheat blueberry ones with soured cream.

All of the above are some of my very favourite foods *drool*

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks. I'm always up to trying something different.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:33 am

Ok....I'm curious about "spotted dick". Do you folks really eat this? What the heck is it? I have a can of spotted dick...but it's just for a good laugh. tee hee
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next