migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Made it through 1st day od new job!

+5
HeelerLady
Ivy
Paradox
tecky
30yrsofheadache
9 posters

Go down

Made it through 1st day od new job! Empty Made it through 1st day od new job!

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:38 am

I started a job in our school system on Monday as a Substitute Instructional Assistant. It involves mostly working with Special Ed. kids or Kindergarten. I took the job as a second part time job since my Petsitting is not bringing in much money. The interesting part of this job is the flexibility. You have your name in a databse that uses an automated call system.

When a job is available. the system calls you. You can accept the job (which is normally for that day) or not. You do not talk to a real person begging you to take the job. Alsoyou just choose from a menu of reasons you dont want a job, so you dont feel bad if you arent up to it. My first day I was in an Autism preschool class.

It was physically challenging with my Lyme disease, but I didnt get a migraine! I only worked 5 hours and that will be my limit for now. Have had to turn down offers yesterday and today due to head pain and joint issues. I thought this might be of interest to someone else looking for part-time work.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Made it through 1st day od new job! Empty Re: Made it through 1st day od new job!

Post  tecky Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:52 am

I'm happy for you in your new job, Cindy. Sounds like it couldn't be any better for a migraneur. I hope it brings you satisfaction and enjoyment. It sounds like a rewarding job. Very Happy

Becky
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Made it through 1st day od new job! Empty Re: Made it through 1st day od new job!

Post  Paradox Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:12 am

Cindy, that's so perfect! Congratulations! I substitute for a short while but I had a real person calling me and they would be very persistent when I turned down a day. I'd end up caving and going in on days I didn't want too. That's why I didn't do it very long. I told them I would only work certain days and it didn't matter, they were calling me everyday of the week.

Special needs kids are very challenging but the rewards you get are ten-fold.

Yay, Cindy cheers
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:00 am

Hi Cindy,
it sounds perfect for you and anyone else who needs flexibility!
I wish it could be adopted also in other fields.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:36 am

Cindy,

Sounds perfect. So glad you are able to take this on. Smile

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:06 am

That hadn't occurred to me until now but for those of you that have a hard time working, temp agencies would be an option. I worked for one in between jobs years ago. You can turn down jobs without any negative consequences. Some of them actually pay quite well also.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:07 am

well done you, i bet you are thrilled, one day at a time, xx
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks, everyone for your encouragement. This was the least stressful job I coud find. If I wanted more money, I could be a regular Substitute teacher, but it would be more responsibility and time. I will probably try again tomorrow unless I wake up feeling badly. I can actually block hours or days that they can call.
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 pm

I'm so glad your new job is going well. Flexibility is key to managing this stupid disease.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:25 pm

You are funny Ali - "stupid" disease. It is stupid alright. No function.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:24 am

Sounds like the perfect situation for you.

And a very rewarding job indeed.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out for you!

Congrats!!

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down