migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ham Radio Hobby

5 posters

Go down

Ham Radio Hobby Empty Ham Radio Hobby

Post  Hal Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:18 am

Does anyone know what Amateur (Ham) Radio is?
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Ham Radio Hobby Empty Re: Ham Radio Hobby

Post  Johnfd Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:36 am

My brother used to have a licence. HAM radios are radio transmitting stations run by amateurs usually run on a hobby basis. He had his set up in a shed in the garden and spent hours talking to people all over the world and recording his contacts. He also had a mobile rig he took to events and had an international call sign. He had to get qualifications at different levels to obtain licences to broadcast on VHF, short wave bands etc. I know he spent a fortune on equipment and made some stuff himself. He looked down on me and my CB set.

John
Johnfd
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:29 pm

Amateur radio, often called ham radio, is both a hobby and a service in which participants, called "hams," use various types of radio communications equipment to communicate with other radio amateurs for public services, recreation and self-training.[1] Amateur radio operators enjoy personal (and often worldwide) wireless communications with each other and are able to support their communities with emergency and disaster communications if necessary, while increasing their personal knowledge of electronics and radio theory. An estimated six million people throughout the world are regularly involved with amateur radio.[2] The term "amateur" reflects the principle that amateur radio and its skilled operators are committed to helping communities without financial compensation; whereas commercial radio operates for profit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio

My husband is a Ham. He also does a lot with amateur radio. He even built a tower in my backyard!

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:46 pm

One of the engineers I used to work with is a Ham operator. He's got a tower in his yard (in town).

He's met a lot of people by doing this. I think those that do Ham radio, really enjoy it.

Becky Very Happy
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:55 pm

Isn't that when Miss Piggy and Kermit do the breakfast show?
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down