migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone do photography as a hobby?

3 posters

Go down

Does anyone do photography as a hobby? Empty Does anyone do photography as a hobby?

Post  dizzyflower Mon May 16, 2011 11:28 am

Just wondered if anyone out there does old fashioned film photography out of us. I am just starting up with a darkroom which is a secondhand complete set, thinking I used to like doing it before I got sick and I might give it a go.
Can't remember if there were any triggers in this hobby, but I might come up with something worth doing so am gonna try.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Does anyone do photography as a hobby? Empty Re: Does anyone do photography as a hobby?

Post  mxgo Mon May 16, 2011 12:12 pm

I still use film, b & w 35 mm and 645, but, I have it processed in commercial labs. I then scan it into my computer and use PhotoShop. I should say I used to do Photography. I now seldom do it, since sitting in front of the computer puts my head in a bad position (headache time).

My avatar is a sample of my work, taken with Ilford 100 b&w film, Contex rangefinder camera, scanned with a 35 mm scanner, and I used PhotoShop to get the effect that I wanted; showing pain.

I also use digital cameras. Again, I don't do much anymore.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Does anyone do photography as a hobby? Empty Re: Does anyone do photography as a hobby?

Post  Mini Tue May 17, 2011 6:38 am

Yes, I do, but nowadays mainly digital. I loved b/w photography in the past and developed pictures myself, but it was difficult to get the paper and all the developing equipment so like my camera it has been all lost.
Now, I love my digital camera (Lumix) as I can carry it with me wherever I go, and I taking pictures gives me much satisfaction. I belong to a club and we meet monthly for exchange of ideas about photography.
I love it.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Does anyone do photography as a hobby? Empty does anyone do photography as a hobby

Post  dizzyflower Tue May 17, 2011 6:54 am

It is interesting to see that none of us have the same make of camera as each other.

my dslr is a Nikon, and my slrs are yashica and chinon. I intend to get any paper etc I need from the internet.

It's a real shame that the computer screen causes you problems, I like the photo, it does show pain very well. I used a similar technique with some of my daisy photos, but I put smiley faces on them, it's not my best work.

i think that i have been missing something relying so heavily on digital for the past few years. i am looking forward to geting back to B&W once I have sorted out how to set everything up, well, mostly how to keep light out of where I am going to put the stuff.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Tue May 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Martin, I forgot to ask - what is the image on your avatar? Is it taken from a sculpture, and if so what is the work and where is it?
It represents suffering very well. Good work.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Tue May 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Mini, I went on a photography field trip with a local photography club (View Point Gallery of Sacramento) to the Gladding-McBean Clay Plant. They make clay products, mostly sanitary sewer clay pipe, tile, and some pieces for buildings. The plant is over a hundred years old and located in Lincoln CA, about an hour east of Sacramento, CA.

My avatar is a clay head, like European churches used to use to decorate the buildings, that Gladding-McBean uses to show what they can do and what they use to make in the past.

Here are a web site, look at the Gladding-McBean Albums, where you can get an idea of what you can see at the plant:

http://www.genekennedy.com/albums

Great field trip, I have quite a few photos from the place.

Martin

Last edited by mxgo on Tue May 17, 2011 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : incorrect web site for viewing clay plant photos)
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Tue May 17, 2011 11:45 pm

You mean gothic Gargoyles?
This explains expressiveness of the head. Very appropriate to describe how migraine feels.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Thu May 19, 2011 8:14 am

Mini said:
You mean gothic Gargoyles?

Yes, that is the word I was looking for, I could not remember how to spell it.

I also have a Lumix DMC-LX3; great Leica lens. After using it, I can understand why people are willing to spend all that money on Leicas.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down