migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Photography as a hobby

4 posters

Go down

Photography as a hobby Empty Photography as a hobby

Post  Mini Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:24 am

I love taking pictures and this is one hobby that still allows me to enjoy many happy moment despite migraine.
Taking pictures of landscape views in different weather, special people and occasions, holidays and travels, flowers and plants in my garden changing every day, but most of all, little children who grow up very fast and can bring smiles to my face on the worst days.

I have a little pocket digital camera, Panasonic Lumix, which is fine for my puprose as it is very light, but I am quite hopeless at reading instructions, the language itself makes my mind go blank, so I could do with some useful tips.
I do much of my photograpy by trial and error, and generally get quite decent results, but I know I could do much better.

So, I wonder if anyone else here is interested in photography too, and i you have any tips about taking pictures, such as the ones that I worked out for myself.
Here they are:
it is best to take pictures in the later part of afternoon when the light is warm,
backlit flowers can look semi-tranparent and fascianting,
or that it is best not to overwork software, like Picassa or others, as the quality of the end result deterioriates with each save.

Thank you and Happy Snapping!

Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Photography as a hobby Empty Re: Photography as a hobby

Post  Olee Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:31 pm

I also enjoy photography as a hobby. I've been hooked since childhood and have enjoyed taking shots of family members and landscapes all my life. I've had numerous film cameras, most point and shoot and a few SLR. For the past 6 years I've been using a Sony digital point and shoot that works great, and I still use it today. I finally have started using a DSLR thanks to an awesome Christmas present from my son. It's a Nikon D3000 and I am still learning it's capabilities almost a year later. Photography is something that helps me escape. As far as equipment, it really doesn't matter as long as you enjoy the hobby. There was a photo I was shown last year that won a museum photo contest, mind you there were hundreds of entries, the key is that it was taken with a camera phone. I personally like to concentrate on the composition of the photo. I photograph mainly landscapes, wildlife, family, pets, architecture and I do it for myself. That's why it stays a hobby.
Olee
Olee

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:04 pm

This is how I approach photpgraphy, just my own enjoyment.
It reminds me of beautiful moments which I might otherwise forget. I love it, it makes me happy. It reminds me of happy times.
But I am no good at transfering it on my computer, or sending it here though, but I woul love to see some your pictures Olee if you can post them here?
Nikon 3100 was the camera I was thinking of buying perhaps if I get organised.

Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  GSDtravels Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:58 am

I also love photography and I've joined a local group. Try meetup.com and search for a group in your area. This group meets occasionally, but they have a weekly contest that you can participate in from home, so it's free and you get a critique of your work. The best part is, there are photographers from every walk of life and it's a free learning experience! I don't like to read myself and was amazed at some of the things my camera can do, I just needed somebody to show me how to use it. Very Happy
GSDtravels
GSDtravels

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:08 pm

I have just bought my first SLR so I am currently on a very steep learning curve. To celebrate I went on a bird watching adventure for three days which was wonderful. Having no knowledge of birds, it was so distracting from health/stress issues to be learning to use the camera and learn about birds.

Up till now I have also had a little compact digital, which I've taken out at weddings and events and to my delight many brides have chosen my photos for their wedding albums!!!

The only tip I can give you is get in close. If you can focus as close as possible on your subject the results are much more dramatic usually. A face is usually more interesting than a whole body to look at.

Light I am just learning about. Direct sunlight in your face will mean a shadow on the face of your subject. So you want as much light as possible but never hash direct sunlight.

As I said I am very much on a learning curve, hope you get as much enjoyment as I do.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:07 pm

Thank You very much for your tips, Marion. Especially the one about getting close.
I also find faces, and genuine expressions fasciating, best when the subject is unaware of being "caught". However this makes me feel at times quite intrusive so I tend to keep my distance.

But I love taking pictures, it is such a great distraction, when I am not feeling well. Capturing joyful moments, beatiful sights or events to remember makes me really happy.

I must admit that I am no good at learning all the technical stuff, since digital cameras are getting more and more complicated at the same time, as offering more and more possibilities - it can be quite overwhelming.

I am glad you enjoy photography, too.
It would bey great to see some of your pictures (I am not sure how to post mine here, though).
Mini
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down