migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phrases I'm tired of hearing

+23
Dawn
alli
02R96
rileyoday
LizzieB
Ivy
Anna's Mom
pen
Jewishmother
Stillhurtin
AuntieBubbs
theresae
dizzyflower
marion
milo
Johnfd
moominamy
tecky
HeelerLady
crt
LG
Almostangela
Paradox
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Phrases I'm tired of hearing - Page 2 Empty phrases to puke by

Post  rileyoday Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:24 am

I was going to post " I think Im too sensitve I dont want people to say anything " but now that I have read these, and recognize them,

I was right DONT SAY ANYTHING TO ME.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Phrases I'm tired of hearing - Page 2 Empty Re: Phrases I'm tired of hearing

Post  theresae Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:47 am

LizzieB wrote:

‘Surely there’s something ‘they’ can do’, still irks me more than anything.

Liz flower

yes that irrates the hell out of me!
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:17 am

Cheryl: What you said +10!!!

I've heard that so many times, it's just ignorance. My daughter once had a reaction to amoxicillin (turns out she's allergic to it), and she was given a steroids to counter the effects. We mentioned this to a neighbor and you would have thought we had shot her up with heroin! For god sakes it was a weeks worth of a declining dose (appropriate for a 2 year old); we weren't stacking them like bodybuilders do!!!

Myself, I have no tolerance for the vibe I get from certain family members about my issues. i really don't care anymore, but it still pisses me off. But ya know, what comes around goes around. As everyone ages, there's a good chance chronic pain is going to enter into their lives too. My guess is they'll be reaching for meds just like I do.

Maybe then a bit of enlightenment will hit... Suspect
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:53 am

Ivy wrote:

But, above all I hate those who state: "oooohhh yes! I often have migraine. I MUST TAKE AN ASPIRIN every time I get it to make it go away".
I confess I have to count up to 1,000 to avoid verbal fights with these people who don't have any right to use the word MIGRAINE...Evil or Very Mad

That takes me to the edge too. I really have no comeback for that and have to bite my tonge. I say nothing because I can't be sure that they don't have a mild migraine.

Or when (as others mentioned above) to tell you to try an asprin or exedrin for migraine, like you are too stupid to have thought of that first! For that comment I tell them I am past that and on antiepiliptic drugs, imitrex and taking codeine for the pain. That usually gets a stunned look.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:54 am

Just think positive... Go outside for a walk and get some exercise....

Make me what to puke. Oh yeah.... I just a happy little camper with a screwed up brain and nervous system.

I have a hard time being outside as even the slightest breeze triggers the TN. Pain in my face that just increases the longer I'm out and then triggers a migraine. I have to wrap my face in a scarf to even walk from my car to the store. And that only work for a little while... so yeah, I really want to go outside and "get some fresh air".
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Oh there are quite a few phrases...
1. It's all in your head.
2. It's just a headache...you're not dying for crying out loud!
3. Must be nice to sit on your duff all day long.
4. You only get migraines cuz your lazy and don't want to do anything.
5. What are you trying to avoid today Dawn?
6. Oh, Dawn's having another pity party.
7. I'm sorry but we don't know why you get migraines, and we can't help you.

The absolute worst is having family members keep calling you to talk about their trivial problems after you specifically told them NOT to call cuz you have a migraine and talking on the phone is pure torture! Or having a husband who answers the phone and says Oh sure you can talk to her, she's right here! What makes it worse...NO ONE IN MY FAMILY HAS MIGRAINES BUT ME! So trying to get them to understand is draining what little energy I need to have to tolerate the pain! So...I quit caring what they think, and stopped trying to explain myself! If they call after I have told them that I have a migraine, and my clueless husband gives me the phone anyway...I just say "I'm sorry, but I don't want to talk to you right now, which you would have known if you would have LISTENED to a word I said before...don't call me, I will call you....GOODBYE...LOL bom

I truly believe that people who do not suffer with migraines can try to be sympathetic, but can never truly understand what a migraine does to a person...I gave up long time ago trying to get people to understand. This is me, I suffer from migraines. I don't expect you to understand, I don't even expect you to care, but I do demand that you to leave me the *#@!!! alone when I am suffering from a migraine...If you choose not to...well, I have a saying...Hell hath no fury like a woman with a migraine...Bug her at your own risk, and don't say I didn't warn ya!

Dawn
Dawn
Dawn

http://www.greenourliving.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:36 pm

Oh, yeah, I hate all those:

"Have you tried X, its homeopathic."

"So and so's daughter/son/wife/etc. tried X and was CURED. You should try it too." (Usually something homeopathic and useless, and herb, or a root, or a vitamin. My apologies to those of you for whom these things work, but they don't work for me.)

"You should try acupuncture."

"It just seems to me that they should be able to 'do' something by now." (as if there should be a time limit. If I've been going to a nuero for this long, why haven't they been able to cure me?)

"You know, sometimes you just have to put up with it. I do."
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:38 pm

Dawn wrote: This is me, I suffer from migraines. I don't expect you to understand, I don't even expect you to care, but I do demand that you to leave me the *#@!!! alone when I am suffering from a migraine...If you choose not to...well, I have a saying...Hell hath no fury like a woman with a migraine...Bug her at your own risk, and don't say I didn't warn ya!

Dawn

Have to say, right on! You just made my day and thank you!!!
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:44 pm

Auntie bubbs;

I have heard that too. I even got desperate enough to try B12, B6, B2, and magnesium, cuz "migraines are laughably curable, and these vitamins will take your pain away." I was told by my family that if I didn't try the natural stuff then I didn't want to get better.

And about acupuncture...uuummmm, I don't know about anyone else, but I can't tolerate combing my hair, or even touching my head! So common sense would tell me that having someone stick a freaking needle in my scalp wouldn't feel very good...but unbelievably I have been told that it feels good! HAHA, not by a person who suffer with migraines though...go figure!
Dawn
Dawn

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:48 pm

Magnesium and B2?(riboflavin) have actually been clinically shown to lessen the severity of M. However it doesn't work in all folks. Sort of like excedrine - works for a few and if I had nasty occasional ones, perhaps it would have helped....
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:51 pm

HL, I have heard that, but they doesn't work for me. And the experimentation is an expense I can't afford. Not that I want to explain all that to every person who wants to go into how vitamins worked for their aunt Harriet Very Happy

Now acupuncture... I should tell them, acupuncture? right. I can't afford my meds, let alone expensive acupuncture. Of course, they'd probably tell me to pay for the acupuncture, not the meds! Like that would happen.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:11 pm

Yeah, the vitamins didn't work for me either. They are sitting on top of my microwave collecting dust.

Yeah...cost of accupuncture. Not going to happen - I could go get a massage once a month and have it cost less and probably be more effective. Any free suggestions I am all for What a Face
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:17 pm

quote Stillhurtin

"I thought about this thread today while talking to my kids...how bout phrases we are tired of...that come from within"

"Mommy has a headache
Mommy doesn't feel well
Mommy needs inside voices right now
It's just too bright
MY HEAD HURTS!!!"

Isn't that the worst? I feel so guilty because my kiddos (ages 4 and 6) suffer right along side of me. I am constantly feeling guilty over the time wasted on these migraines that could have been spent enjoying them. I do feel that way alot, but I do my best to try to enjoy the time that I do get to spend with them...also, God bless my hubby who constantly reminds me that it is not my fault, I didn't ask for this, I am forced to deal with more than most have to deal with...and not ever question whether or not I am a good mommy and wife, cuz I am. He constantly tells me he will hang in there as long as I will...don't give up Smile

Dawn
Dawn
Dawn

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:40 pm

Here are my personal favorites:

"But, you don't look sick."

"Just take an aspirin."

"Buck up, it is just a headache."

"If you got off all the medication, you wouldn't have as many headaches."

"Migraines- there are treatments for that now."

"You must have done something to cause this."

"It is alln psychological."

"If you have headaches this badly, you should not be allowed to go to school." (roommate from another cultrure.)

"You are just a drug seeker- leave and make room for a real patient." (ER doctor)

"The way to treat migraine is to go home and sleep." (ER nurse practioner.)

"It is just psychological. You are an addict and need to be in rehab." (Idiotic neurologist.)

And my personal favorite:
"It is only a headache."

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  ShelliB Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:52 pm

LizzieB wrote:

‘Surely there’s something ‘they’ can do’, still irks me more than anything.

Liz flower

Who are "they", where are "they" and what is this magic "they" possess? Twisted Evil I get thrown this comment so often from everyone, even ER nurses!

I also hate the
Why don't you try...
Botox
Chiropractor
Vodoo (seriously!)
Exedrin Migraine (of course!)
Another doctor
Herbal remedies
And so on....
ShelliB
ShelliB

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Yep...... my least favorite is, "Take some excedrin migraine. It always works for me"
Right up there with.... I get migraines all the time. You should go jogging that's what I do and it helps. REALLY? how can I jog when the jarring of me walking is too painful to stand?
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:29 pm

Brenda are you kidding me? JOG?! If I jogged, wow. Suspect
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:55 am

I have another one:

CHANGE YOUR PILLOW

Drives me nuts
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel328 Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:42 am

"It's all in your head."

DUH PEOPLE... I know it's in my head... and I want it out!!!!

"Think positive thoughts.... think about yourself without a migraine.... think migraine-free thoughts."
That's my dad. He has no idea what I'm going through. UGH! I want to throw a brick at his head & tell him to think positive thoughts & maybe it won't hurt when the brick hits his head.

Rachel

Rachel328

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:46 am

Haha Rachel, I don't know what is better..your dad with his positive thoughts or my dad. One day he said to me, "Well geez, I don't know. Maybe your just going to have to give up on this one and realize this is going to be the way it is for the rest of your life." My jaw just dropped to the floor. Honest, but my god...could it be any more doom and gloom!?! Shocked
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:01 am

Hey Rachael...Do we have the same dad?? LOL! My father believes in that mind over matter crap too! I was always told that it's all in your head! If you think you don't have a migraine, then you won't have one!

I got him back on that theory though...when he broke his foot, I told him, well dad, I think you're faking...if you "think" you don't have a broken foot, then you really won't have one right??? Never heard that saying come out of his mouth again LOL!

That being said, I do believe you have to try to stay positive when your suffering with a chronic illness...Not saying that you're not going to clothesline someone for being an insensitive jerk while your sick...although, that would definately boost my spirits, especially with my family where I am the only one who suffers with migraines, so everyone in my family turns into that insensitive jerk!

I can't say that my life is boring, that's for sure! Wink

Dawn
Dawn
Dawn

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:23 am

Ivy wrote:I have another one:

CHANGE YOUR PILLOW

Drives me nuts

yep i have done that, even changed our bed!
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2