migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What ethnical group do you belong to?

+23
sailingmuffin
ache25
CluelessKitty
theresae
crt
Anna's Mom
LG
estre004
Mule Kick
AZgirl
Brenda
AuntieBubbs
LizzieB
rileyoday
mxgo
Jewishmother
lynette823
Almostangela
HeelerLady
pen
tecky
Paradox
Ivy
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What ethnical group do you belong to? Empty What ethnical group do you belong to?

Post  Ivy Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:37 am

I am sure that this survey has been made in the past on this board, but since there are many new friends who recently joined, I find it interesting to ask the question again. My curiousity is purely scientific as I have the feeling that migraine is mainly spread among Asian-Europeans (i.e. "white" people).

Apparently there are no Afro-American sufferers on this board and I've never met one face to face, but it can be a case. I remember in the past a few Hispanics at Ronda's and I personally know some Indians who are migrainers. I don't have clues about native Americans.

However, I have the impression that the ethnical group called Asian-European is the most prone to migraine.

I belong to the European group. I'm white, browned haired, green eyes.

Bye
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

What ethnical group do you belong to? Empty Re: What ethnical group do you belong to?

Post  Paradox Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 am

I'm caucasian, blond hair, blue eyed. My ancestry is 1/2 Swedish, 1/4 German, 1/8 Irish, 1/8 French.

There's rumored to be some American Indian as the French Canadian fur trappers that my grandmother descends from didn't bring their women with them!

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

What ethnical group do you belong to? Empty Re: What ethnical group do you belong to?

Post  tecky Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:23 am

Brown hair, blue eyes: 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Swedish, 1/2 Heinz 57 (like Charlotte, French Canadian ancestry, German, and a little everything else).

I've often wondered about the possibility of ethnical origins or genetic markers that predispose us to migraine disease. I don't think I've ever seen any information on studies about this.

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:01 am

Ivy, we must be esoterically connected. I had this conversation with my daughter just yesterday.
I also was wondering, assuming there is anywhere in the world with consistent weather, what the migraine rate is like there...
We are constantly told of and blame weather conditions, but I find this depressing.
Can they give me a pill to protect me from the weather? Where do I go to escape it?

Interesting point though.

Step forward and welcome to any oriental or afro-Caribean, or Asian migraine person.

I am white blue eyed fair haired. Heritage English, Irish and German.

Should add, NO-ONE in my entire family has migraines.....

Last edited by pen on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:37 am

I've been wondering about this as well but for another condition (not something that is a problem, just a nuisance) and wondered if they are connected in some way.

White, blue eyed, brown hair. Heritage, 1/2 german, 1/2 (mix of Irish, English, Native American, German and possibly another European).
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:47 am

100% dutch
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  lynette823 Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:01 am

1/2 italian 1/4 german, 1/8 native american 1/2 heinz 57 european

I have dark brown hair, dark brown eyes and the family members that have had migraines in the past that I know of are all 100% italian - all dark hair, brown eyes

lynette823

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:17 am

100% Ashkenazi Jew
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:22 pm

I often wonder if a certain demographic groups that have been isolated until these last few 100 of years of technology/advancement (ie; tibetans or inuits) who may have had no history of migraines, but now do because of a new stressful society and filled with access to food chemicals and poisons in the air.

How much did my grandmother suffer in comparison to myself?

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:30 pm

Mexican ancestry w/indian (Mexican), French, and Spanish. French (who were with Maximillan, when Mexico was taken over by the French army) on my dads side But, mostly Mexican Indian.

My Mom had migraines earlier in her life. One of my sisters has had migraines since she was 16 years old, she is now 65.
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

What ethnical group do you belong to? Empty ethnic group

Post  rileyoday Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:17 pm

white male irish , mother and sister suffer mildly occasionaly. 10 aunts uncles 40 cousins and i dont know
of any other suffering. I have 2 children 24, 22 without M also.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  LizzieB Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:33 pm

White, fair (hmm a bit ginger), green eyes, English/Scottish/Irish. Brother also has migraines. Son occasionally.
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:05 pm

I can see the validity of asking the ethnic question. I'm predominantly hispanic.

I may be/am probably being hypersensitive, so I'm getting on the soapbox a bit... but I don't see what difference hair color, eye color has to do with whether one gets migraines or not.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Bubbs, I think it was more to the point of, who gets the most migraines.
Is there any difference in ethnic origin??
For instant do Eskimos get them??
If so, is it because of their ethnic background or where they are.
if they moved to say England would they then get them?

Dont think the original question mentioned eye colour etc.
Just people adding their own bits in.

There must be some clues somewhere, and we do clutch at straws, but I am sure no offence was intended.
Just doing our own bit of research as the people that should be doing it apparently cant be bothered.

Very Happy

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:32 pm

We just need a celebrity to be as miserable as we are. Misery loves company. Wink But at least they may have oodles of money to fund research.

I sure didn't mean anything by description of coloring...it could be a factor on some level I suppose depending on heritage.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:54 pm

I just had that same conversation with my friend in utah.....
We need a Michale J Fox....Bug difference to Parkinsons.
Its not good telling us John Kennedy had migraines, sadly he isn't here any more.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:39 pm

I'm 1/2 french, 1/2 german. My mother's side is French. My aunt got terrible migraines, my mother too even though she refused to call them migraines. She just referred to them as sick headaches. she wouldn't call them migraines because they weren't as bad as mine or my aunt's. I also have a couple of nieces who get them occasionally. thankfully, not as much as I do.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:08 pm

I don't know how to say this but to come right out and say it.

Eskimo in Wikepdia has this excerpt in it:

"In Canada and Greenland, the term Eskimo has fallen out of favour, as it is considered pejorative by the natives and has been replaced by the term Inuit."

I know the term Eskimo is used a lot in the world still, but I cringe when I see it being used. I was taught that this is rude. So, when in Canada, this word causes offence.
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:42 pm

100% Polish
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Almostangela wrote:I don't know how to say this but to come right out and say it.

Eskimo in Wikepdia has this excerpt in it:

"In Canada and Greenland, the term Eskimo has fallen out of favour, as it is considered pejorative by the natives and has been replaced by the term Inuit."

I know the term Eskimo is used a lot in the world still, but I cringe when I see it being used. I was taught that this is rude. So, when in Canada, this word causes offence.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I use the term. I had no idea that it was perjorative.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 am

Heinz 57 European.

ΒΌ German; but mostly English, and Scottish (some by way of Ireland); with a tiny bit of Danish and French.

Brunette hair, blue eyes, and freckles. No one in my family with migraines, that I know of.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:44 am

Interesting.
It seems that all migraine sufferers on this board have European origins. Just a case?
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:11 am

Oh Auntie Bubbs, I'm so sorry I didn't mean to offend.

I threw in my eye color because I was told once that people with light colored eyes have more problems with photosensitivity, something about some type of slit in the iris (please don't quote me! I'm pulling this out of a M affected brain).

You're right, hair color would have absolutely nothing to do with. Sorry for being a dumb-dumb.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

What ethnical group do you belong to? Empty ethnic group

Post  rileyoday Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 am

I thought of the viking football player who was stricken with M. Im sure they have tried EVERYTHING to get him on the field sparing no test or expense . I also think
Emmit Smith of the cowboys suffered and probably saw alot of experts.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:12 am

German, Scotch, Irish, Dutch and English. I do work with an African American that gets migraines.
Someone brought up celebrities. There are actually a lot of celebrities, athetes, etc. that get migraines.
It seems most of the people on this forum are from the US, Canada or Europe. I'm assuming that is because of easy internet access and education.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next