migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abortants for Silent Migraine/Chronic Daily Headache?

5 posters

Go down

Abortants for Silent Migraine/Chronic Daily Headache? Empty Abortants for Silent Migraine/Chronic Daily Headache?

Post  hoytesara Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:30 am

I'm 25 years old and trying to do my PhD in chemistry. I've had headaches and other migraine symptoms pretty much constantly for the past 18 months. It started out as dizziness, then became headaches and generally feeling crap. I was initially diagnosed with migraine-related vertigo, and have since worked out that my headaches are a combo of migraine/tension. I don't often get a 'classic' migraine, with intense pain. Instead, I almost constantly feel lightheaded/foggy/achy/exhausted with a low-grade headache (3-4/10 mostly, but varies). Having read multiple lists of non-headache migraine symptoms, I'd say I probably have about 80% of them at some point, if not constantly, every day. Recently, I've had a lot of success with the tension component by going to a physiotherapist, which is a huge relief.

I've been on a low dose of amitriptyline for a while which helped, but haven't been able to get to a high enough dose to really work as i get incredibly fatigued even at low doses. I've now switched to topiramate (I tried it last year with no success, but since having sorted out the tension headaches so thought it might be worth a try now that I just have the migraines). However, I'm still some weeks away from being at an effective dose, and am feeling pretty awful most of the time (I can definitely say that the amitriptyline was helping!).

I don't really take pain meds, partly because the few I've tried don't really work and partly because I don't want to be taking them all the time because of rebound problems and other side effects. I generally only take acetaminophen and ibuprofen (usually together). Diclofenac and naproxen make my headaches worse. I've never tried triptans, but I'm not sure if my headaches are ever severe enough to warrant taking them. What I'm looking for is something that thwarts the other non-pain symptoms of migraines. It's very difficult to do lab work when your head is spinning and it feels like you have a cold, even if your head isn't pounding! Does anyone know of anything that helps with the other aspects of a migraine?

(note, in addition to amitriptyline and topiramate, I've tried nortriptyline, hypnotherapy, elimination diets, yoga and other regular exercise, all with varying successes)

hoytesara

Back to top Go down

Abortants for Silent Migraine/Chronic Daily Headache? Empty Abortants for silent migraine

Post  dizzyflower Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:59 am

Hi.

This sounds horribly familiar. Sorry to hear you are going through this too. I came back onto the board today to see if there were any of us with silent migraine that are successfully treating the condition. My experience so far is that side effects of meds get in the way somehow, but there has to be something out there. The only thing that is helping me on a really bad day is taking something for the dizziness like sea sickness tablets, but i believe that for some people they can aggravate another attack another day. I used them on Monday to get me home safely. Hope you find something soon.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Abortants for Silent Migraine/Chronic Daily Headache? Empty Re: Abortants for Silent Migraine/Chronic Daily Headache?

Post  Tamsha101 Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:58 am

i'm in the same boat. I get daily aura (dizziness, tinnitus, numbness, tingling, irritability, foggy head and fatigue) with neck pain once in awhile. I am still trying to find a preventative. I've had migraines since I was 16 but this daily stuff for the past year. My neurologist said perimenopause and stress is the cause. You're too young for the peri but I can imagine your schooling is very stressful. I tried ami with no success - had minor success with nortriptaline but am tapering off it now to try Inderol. My neuro said unfortunately there really isnt anything to take pertaining directly to aura. Triptans do not work for this and taking too many over the counter drugs is not good - can cause rebound.

His directions were:
1) no OTC of any kind (Advil, Tylenol etc.) unless absolutely necessary
2) drink lots of water
3) exercise a minimum of 3 times a week
4) reduce stress as much as possible

All easier said than done I know. I have had some luck with yoga, massage therapy and acupuncture. This is a terrible disease to have - no quick fix!

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Abortants for Silent Migraine/Chronic Daily Headache? Empty Silent Migraine

Post  shaespitzer23 Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:17 am

I just needed to ask what "silent migraine" means, because it sounds like thats what I have. I have had my share of the 3 days in bed migrains...but not constant like a lot of migraine sufferers. I think I have what is called "silent migraine" if I understand it correctly. I know I was rebounding for 2 and a hlaf yrs from taking excedrine. I had intense sinus headaches, but even my ENT told me that after my sinus surgery he didn't believe the headaches would end, because he thought i was also having chronic daily headaches or migraines plus rebound. He was correct. After the surgery, the sinus pressure was gone, but I had ended the exedrine and I went into 3 full migraines in a 2 week period. Been on Bayer Migrain ever since November of 2012 and I know it's making me rebound but its my bandaide right now. I'm up to 8 pills a day (your only supposed to take 2) and its helping me to function but I don't feel good. My neck hurts all the time, along with my whole body, I get tingling feelings here and there, I'm so tired and out-of-it, and I don't do well in the evenings..I wear down and my head hurts. The day-time I do better as far as my head goes...but I still have sharp pains in my head about once every few hours like somethings trying to break through. I feel like my head is ready to go, but the high amounts of bayer are keeping it somewhat subdued. It's around the clock so I think it's a combo of "silent migraine" if I'm correct and rebound. I know I have to get off it and see if this migrain diet I've been on four a month can really work and then try to introduce a preventive. Actually the one you mentioned, amitryptiline I believe is the one I was going to ask my neurologist about I'm going to see soon. I'm scared about the withdrawl period. I may be off here....but am I correct that "silent migraine" is what I'm experiencing?

shaespitzer23

Back to top Go down

Abortants for Silent Migraine/Chronic Daily Headache? Empty Re: Abortants for Silent Migraine/Chronic Daily Headache?

Post  Jewishmother Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:28 pm

The way I define a silent migraine is a migraine with aura and little to no pain. I have yet after dealing with aura symptoms for over 35 years found anything (abortive or preventive) that impacts them. The best I can manage is being aware of my triggers and when the aura symptoms happen to not stoke the fire and find a quiet, dark place to lay down and let them pass.
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down