migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Triptans for daily silent migraine

+2
rileyoday
Tamsha101
6 posters

Go down

Triptans for daily silent migraine Empty Triptans for daily silent migraine

Post  Tamsha101 Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:20 am

Has anyone had success with triptans for these headaches? I get chronic daily migraine with tons of aura but very mild to moderate headaches. I am now off my Cymbalta as it wasnt doing me any good and I didnt like the side effects. I am still taking 20 mg of nortriptalyne. Doctor gave me trials of Replax, Axert and Maxalt. Tried all 3 and the only one that minimally helped was the Replax - kept the symptoms at bay but didnt take them away totally.

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Triptans for daily silent migraine Empty triptans for daily

Post  rileyoday Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:42 pm

I do not think anyone has posted complete relief from using a triptan. Its good you tried several. Can you increase the dose ?
I used 100 mg Imitrex the 25 and 50 mg did little. I often think some preventives I did not try long enough. Though I would not take any with bad side effects.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Triptans for daily silent migraine Empty Re: Triptans for daily silent migraine

Post  dcook60 Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:53 pm

i've used one or another since they first came on the market, about 18 years ago. since there are seven of the triptans, please see if you can try all of them.

am not sure about this, but at least two are generic, imitrex (sumatriptan) and amerge (naratriptan). you could get samples of the brand names ones, perhaps.

only two of them work for my daily migraines, and that seems to be the norm; only one or two work and the others do nothing. they do NOT take away all my pain, but do make me functional.

i still work p-t at an advanced age. of course, lots of time i'm in terrible pain at work, but i can't let it be known, as i assist old/disabled folks, and i dare not be in worse shape than they are!

i will never again try preventives, as they've all made me worse. but that's just me. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:56 pm

i will never again try preventives, as they've all made me worse. but that's just me. dianne

No Dianne, it's not just you. It is many of us... Sad

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:28 pm

Amerge did nothing for me. I am having better luck with Frova which has been able to stop a number of them. Before that I just had to live though 48 hours of migraine, no matter what. So it's good to have something that has at least some shot at stopping it. (Probably about 70% if I take the Frova at the same time as an Oxy or take two of them.)
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Triptans for daily silent migraine Empty triptans

Post  lentils Mon May 09, 2011 7:41 pm

My migraines have changed from raging headaches to the silent type and triptans stopped working at the same time. I'm not sure if it's a co-incidence. Ergot drugs are working well for me for the silent type of migraine, but I'm having a difficult time getting them in the US. I just read a paper that was written in the 90's that states that triptans will work better if patient is also taking magnesium supplements. It is in the book "Migraine in Women".

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  Tamsha101 Mon May 09, 2011 8:15 pm

I have silent migraines too. Which ergot drugs are you taking?

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Triptans for daily silent migraine Empty silent migraines

Post  lentils Mon May 09, 2011 8:45 pm

cafergot

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down