migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Severe nausea after eating...

+7
crt
Petzi
pen
tortoisegirl
CluelessKitty
Brenda
Paradox
11 posters

Go down

Severe nausea after eating... Empty Severe nausea after eating...

Post  Paradox Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:06 pm

What might it be? It's not all the time but more often than not. Today I had a glass of milk with lasagna with extra cheese. I was miserable and bloated within ten minutes.

I've never been lactose intolerant...my favorite drink is milk. Is that something that can develop with age? Any other ideas? I have enough nausea from my head, I dont need it from my tum too. pale

I have my colonscoptomy Monday and see if there's any further damage from the diverticulitis. So tired of Drs and tests and now new symptoms...
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Severe nausea after eating... Empty Re: Severe nausea after eating...

Post  Brenda Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:50 pm

Lactose intolerance can develop as you get older, from what I've read.

I also get nausea sometimes from my acid reflux. Gall bladder can cause it too, as can food allergies and probably any other number of things. I wish I had answers for you. That's such a miserable feeling. Sad
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:44 pm

Could be LI... the test is very easy, you just need to fast 4 hrs then you simply blow into thin plastic straw for a few seconds twice, that's all.
Worth checking out.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:45 pm

oh, no sorry, that's for H.Pylori, lolol

but the test for L I is also similar, and quite easy.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:27 am

Any other symptoms? If you have bloating, gas, and burping (sulfur type taste) too, it could be a small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). Common in patients with IBS (especially those with fibro). One study showed almost half of IBS patients may have this as responsible for all or most of their symptoms. Diagnosed with a breath test (drink some laculose and they take breath samples every 20 minutes for 4 hours or so to test in a machine, and treated with antibiotics, but many gastro doctors don't even know of this...I was lucky that my first gastro visit they thought I should be tested). I think the breath test also can find glucose or lactose intolerance in addition to the methane & hydrogen. I had that and after treatment my worst IBS symptoms went away (including nausea), but I think it might be coming back, or at a minimum I still have IBS or something (its very stubborn to treatment...probiotics have been known to help and I'm on those). I was getting the nausea pretty low grade all the time, which I attributed to my 5-6 small meals a day (vs. just getting it after eating if you eat 3 meals a day). I would get bad attacks of nausea with cramping before having to go to the bathroom. Pretty miserable. If just the nausea after eating, especially with dairy, I'd cut out dairy for a few weeks and see if the symptoms subside, then do a heavy dairy meal and see if they come back strong. I'm trying to explore more food allergy/intolerance issues. Yes, you can develop lactose intolerance over time, especially if you have auto immune stuff going on. I had joint & muscle pain (diagnosed with fibro), exzcema, and the SIBO develop all within a few months early this year. Good luck!

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:36 am

Are these home tests Risa, they sound interesting...Do tell more.. santa

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi Charlotte,

Under the best of circumstances milk together with a cheesy lasagne isn't exactly easy to digest, especially in light of your recent tummy troubles.

Try to go for something your system finds easier to cope with. I am sure there are plenty of dietary recommendations for diverticulitis sufferers.

Frohe Weihnachten

P santa
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:19 pm

Oh Charlotte,

How awful! On Christmas Eve, too. It's just not fair. And you're getting a colonoscopy Monday? That means you have to fast and do the clean out the day after Christmas? You have my sympathies.

I had surgery once on Christmas Eve. Actually, it wasn't too bad. The staff wasn't busy and they felt sorry for me so I got extra special treatment and a great dinner.

Hugs,
Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:43 pm

No, no Chris...I had the test LAST Monday. I posted this last week.

The test went fine. Two polyps removed that were benign. He said the diverticuli were still slightly swollen and show obvious signs of the diverticulitis. He said everything looked good and I don't have to follow up.

But, I think I may book an appt for the almost constant nausea after I eat. Try to find out the cause.

Oh, and yes, Chris.... The prep for that test was not pleasant at all. In fact I threw up the last 4 oz of the 2liters of yucky stuff I had to drink. But luckily I had restricted my diet for a couple days before the prep so I had enough to be sufficiently cleaned out
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:39 pm

Sorry Charlotte,

I should have been paying more attention. Well, at least I'm glad your test was last week. It really would be awful to do a colonoscopy prep on Christmas weekend.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Pen, the true L.I test can be done only at the lab:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003500.htm

at home you can pretty much (and pretty accurately) determine if you have it or not by first excluding
then adding the dairy to your diet.

http://www.gicare.com/diseases/lactose-intolerance.aspx

People hardly ever realize how much lactose is in the daily diet - even the medications contain lactose.

Thus the amount we consume cumulative -ly can be quite significant for someone who is lactose intolerant,
hence this frequent or even forever unexplained gurgling, burbling, gas and what-not in the plumbing..

Risa

CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Severe nausea after eating... Empty Plenty of fibre for diverticulitis

Post  Mini Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:29 pm

One thing about diverticulitis is that you really need to eat a lot of fibre in your food. This is really important.
Plenty of fresh vegetables, jacket potaoes, and bran in any form. As well as porridge, and only brown bread, avoding white flour. Eat plenty of pulses (beans, lentils etc).
Also avoid all processed foods and sauces, as they contain plenty of chemical additives (which are also no good for migraine) which irritate your intestines and stomach.

Last edited by Mini on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:46 pm

I have drastically changed my diet. I find if I eat approximately 10 prunes, an apple, and a bowl of oatmeal everyday I can keep things, um, moving.

But, still having problems with the nausea. But noticing more and more it's after a glass of milk. I LOVE milk! My favorite beverage!

It's been soooo cold and icy I haven't been able to walk and exercise helped a great deal with keeping my bowels moving. With my back I'm rather limited to walking. So I'm anxiously awaiting the roads clearing (last time I went out I fell. Luckily it was so cold I had two down jackets on that padded the fall. But, with the two jackets on I'm sure I rather looked like a caterpillar trying to get to my feet! Laughing
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:58 pm

How about trying some Lactaid milk? See what happens.

lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Severe nausea after eating... Empty milk sensitivity

Post  sunnyrobin Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:33 pm

Sorry-I know this is an old post, but I began boiling my milk, letting it cool and then keeping it in a glass container in the fridge. A research dr. I knew said that milk from the store, even though pasteurized can still have salmonella and other things. So I take a heavy pan and bring it on medium heat to a rolling boil then pour it off into a glass jar. A high bacteria load in the body can bring on my migraine symptoms and boiling the milk (which I also love by the way) really seems to help. I also have started a low tannin diet, so instead of decaf tea I use hot water with boiled milk and organic sugar if I want something hot and sweet. Seems to be working well for me. I also take a plant based digestive enzyme with meals that I couldn't be without.
Best wishes,
Sunny

sunnyrobin

Back to top Go down

Post  kathy Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:26 pm

Try this test for lactose intolerance. Don't eat anything after midnight and only drink a glass of milk in the morning. If you have the symptoms it's a lactose thing. You have to consider all the female issues that could cause these symptoms also.
kathy

kathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down