migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For those of us with daily migraine.....

+6
sherri b
Migrainegirl
Petzi
chrissypalgal
rileyoday
dcook60
10 posters

Go down

For those of us with daily migraine..... Empty For those of us with daily migraine.....

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:04 pm

for those with daily migraine. How do you keep going. Why do you keep going. I have been asking myself these questions for some time now. Especially since I have tried my last option. And it has not worked. (Botox) I can no longer fool myself by saying perhaps the next thing will work. Because I have now tried the next thing. There is nothing now. The idea that perhaps in 20 years they might find something means nothing to me. I am not 20 years old. So daily migraine is how my life is going to play out. It has already been 11 years. And many years of sporadic migraine before this. I am getting tired of my four walls. There is one tiny speck of hope. That the second botox treatment will help. But what are the chances..... And that is not until February. The trick is to last that long.

Back to top Go down

For those of us with daily migraine..... Empty Re: For those of us with daily migraine.....

Post  dcook60 Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:05 pm

dear gail,

it is soooo easy to get into the hopeless frame of mind. i totally understand, as i was in the same boat, and actually still am. 41 years of migraines now. but 17 years ago, when imitrex came on the market, my life certainly changed for the better a huge amount. i continue to take one triptan or another almost every single day. (imitrex quit on me after 4 years).

they do not take the pain away, by any means, but put it in the background enough that i can have a life.

i wish i could send you a whole bunch of positive thoughts and ideas. maybe if enough of us did that for you, your situation would seem more hopeful. "one day at a time" seems so trite and cliche, yet it's the only way to live, and to try to enjoy small things in each day

i try not to be a pollyanna, because i have also been in the pits! but there is no doubt in my mind that you WILL find something; if not botox, then something else, because you will not give up! dianne

dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

For those of us with daily migraine..... Empty for those with daily M

Post  rileyoday Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:13 am

Gail , I had almost daily M for 6.5 years. I really thought every week was going to be my last. I had no relief from anything, no help from friends or family. Even lost my job. I had dozens of drs. and scripts.

I finially got some relief in the intensity of the M with 5 - HPT. But my real help came from one visit with a GP dr. who was filling in for a new dr. I had seen once. I was complaining of carpel tunnel and metioned my M meds. He said try clonodine 3 x day and it worked right away.

So I have had this releif for one year now and I take it daily 3 times but also it works as an abortive if I start to get M.

My point is it could be your Next appointment or your next new dr. I hope it will be so. Please try another perspective soon.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

For those of us with daily migraine..... Empty Re: For those of us with daily migraine.....

Post  chrissypalgal Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:53 am

I know it may sound like the same old thing but for me my FAITH is the only thing that keeps me going. I have lost friends and family due to my chronic migraines, have lost jobs, and now may loose my house. But Jehovah God has been the one solid thing in my life, he even gave me my husband. I know for a fact that if it were not for his love, God, that I would have given up years ago.

I just hold onto hope that one day we all will be free of pain. FAITH.

I know times are tough, you are stronger than you think, how hard it may be, hold onto that and don't let the pain inside you win.
chrissypalgal
chrissypalgal

http://throughthewordsofchronicpain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:15 am

Gail,

I think I vaguely remember you contemplating getting a kitty? Have you abandoned this idea?
Getting a little fur bundle will certainly not cure you of your migraines, but it will definitely lift your spirits tremendously. I can wholeheartedly recommend kitty-therapy. I love my cats like mad and they give so much love and affection. Rosie my girl cat comes running every time I am in tears. I don't know if she just follows her instinct and reacts to a distress call, or if she really feels empathy and wants to comfort me. Whatever it is, it is lovely and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I feel your distress in every one of your posts. I hope you will feel better soon.

Hugs

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Gail

I agree with rileyoday, even when you think you have tried everything, if you keep trying one day you will surprised that something works, even something you don't think will. I was at my wits end after 3-1/2 years of chronic daily migraine. I was afraid I would have to sell my business and lose the ability to travel or do anything fun or worthwhile. I was pretty desperate when I tried the natural progesterone and vitamin plan I am now taking. I am not big into natural remedies, but after none of the drugs worked or made things even worse with bizarre side effects, and my second nuero threw up his hands in despair, I figured what have I got to lose? At least it wont hurt me. And I was really surprised when it did work! No more chronic headaches everyday. I still seem to get 2 per month, but that so much better than before. I can live my life again and be relatively normal for my family. I am truly thankful for a lot this year.

So if you have not tried this approach (migraine-headaches-information.com for more details), I recommend giving it a try. (And I'm almost 50, so it's not just for younger women). But if not that, then maybe one if these other approaches will work. But don't give up. Because that is no way to live and there are still a lot of approaches out there and more on the horizon. Not just 20 years out.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:58 pm

I so much agree with Chrissy, My faith, and my church family. So many of them pray for me and understand me.... I am so thankful God has given me people who are sincere and love me even when I can't be dependable or even get to church half the time.

My faith keeps me from loosing it, I'm sure of it. It has been so hard this past week... ugh! One minute at a time.

I know it may sound like the same old thing but for me my FAITH is the only thing that keeps me going. I have lost friends and family due to my chronic migraines, have lost jobs, and now may loose my house. But Jehovah God has been the one solid thing in my life, he even gave me my husband. I know for a fact that if it were not for his love, God, that I would have given up years ago.

I just hold onto hope that one day we all will be free of pain. FAITH.

I know times are tough, you are stronger than you think, how hard it may be, hold onto that and don't let the pain inside you win.he time.
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:02 pm

Petzi is on to something too. My little doggie knows excatly when I am sick, he comes and licks my forehead and then lays beside me and sleeps with/watch's over me. What a little blessing he is to me!
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:55 am

Sherry B,

what kind of doggie have you got? Aren't pets just the best? Their love is so wonderfully simple and consistent. They don't judge you, they don’t think you are uncool, they don't mind if you look and feel like a zombie. As long as you treat them kindly they will shower you with love and affection. I find it is so much easier to get along with animals than with humans. It sounds a bit weird, but this is they way I feel. I don’t mind being a crazy cat woman.cat

P
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:29 am

Petzi,

I totally agree with you! I have a little black Shi-Tzu he is just like you said, loves me unconditionally, and is so much more understanding and easier to be around that my human friends!
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:39 am

SherryB,

Shi Tzu's are adorable. I would love to have a small doggie too, but I can't do this to my kitties. They would hand in their notice and leave.

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

For those of us with daily migraine..... Empty Therapy Dogs

Post  pilot57 Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:23 pm

I agree that pets are amazing!

I have dogs which I consider to be my therapy dogs (nothing formal though)...a yellow lab (my bed buddy...takes naps with me and snuggles close when I cannot stand the daily pain any more) and a beautiful senior citizen Golden Retriever.

We have an amazing cat, too, but I am allergic to him, but he tries his best to love me anyway.

Animals are an amazing gift to those of us who spend so much time at home, alone and in pain. I can never see myself without puppies!

Ann

pilot57

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:58 am

Hi All,

I have had chronic daily migraine/ New daily persistent headache for 13 years now. I am only 3O. I have tried everything. Medically, the things that have helped most have been:
-implanted occipital nerve stimulator
-medications-tylenol 3, morphine, zoloft, zanaflex
-IV depakan

Other than that- I must say that I agree with chrissy on FAITH. It has gotten me though everything. Supportive friends and family are also a huge reason that I am able to survive. Max, our dog really helps too.

Other things
-escapist reading
-everyone here

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:58 pm

I have two cats and two dogs, and I don't believe I could go on without them. Especially my little cats, who curl up under the covers with me when I am in pain. It is a lot less lonely, and their purring is very soothing to me.

I try to look at all the good things in my life. I have a lot of them. I have a beautiful house, an incredible husband. I get paid to do something that I would do even if I didn't get paid. I eat good food and have snuggly warm blankets. I look at the balance of life and decide that migraine is on the other end. It's me paying my dues for the wonderful things I have, if you will. It helps me go on.

The other thing that helps me go on is the refusal to give up hope that this will get better. You just can't predict what tomorrow will be, even if you know what many yesterdays were like. I hold onto this dearly, because if I didn't I'd be in a very dark place.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:43 pm

Great words of encouragement jwar! I agree totally!

Hey sailinmuffing, my dog's name is Max too! I love him so, so much! They are so loyal and loving. I know he is a gift from God. flower
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

For those of us with daily migraine..... Empty Daily migraine and botox subjects

Post  in the dark Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:43 pm

I just read earlier postings that struck a nerve – as I have been feeling quite hopeless as well – having lost virtually all friends and family (even my 85-year old M.D. father who recently insisted on a ‘note from my neurologist’ verifying my chronic complex migraine disorder diagnosis – which he thought sounded like a bunch of ‘hooey’ – this and I am over 50-y/o). And even still he won’t accept my frequent aphasia and confusion. But what I wanted to share is my experience with Botox. For many years - since childhood - I frequently had 'just' migraine with aura – I tried (heavy doses of) Botox in the early 90s initially for cosmetic reasons – injected in my FOREHEAD, I was one of the early ones who noticed that it ended my migraines – before it was accepted by the profession.

I continued this Botox for 10+ years with great success; until onset of chronic complex migraine disorder (3 years ago) – a dramatically different animal. It was my experience that Botox efficacy varies greatly depending on site of injection (‘type’ of migraine one has) and the doc administering it. Since onset of complex migraine I have not been responsive to Botox; one neurologist insisted on injecting me in the back of my head – occipital area – another used far less quantity than previously used, however my (initial) success, for whatever reason, was injected above my eyebrows – an area that reacts after I am once triggered. I guess my point is that Botox isn’t necessarily a one-time only chance (although the cost can be prohibitive as it has become so with me). I am depleted.

in the dark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down