migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Live bald eagle video cam from Santa Catalina Island CA

+5
HeelerLady
Paradox
lesherb
crt
Brent
9 posters

Go down

Live bald eagle video cam from Santa Catalina Island CA Empty Live bald eagle video cam from Santa Catalina Island CA

Post  Brent Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:49 am

CRT posted the barn owl vid cam and I was checking out some others and found this eagle cam with two hatchlings.

http://www.sportsmansparadiseonline.com/Bald_Eagle_Nest_Cam_P0SF.html
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Live bald eagle video cam from Santa Catalina Island CA Empty Bald Eagle cam

Post  crt Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:33 pm

Thank you so much Brent! Soon, we'll have a whole collection. I could easily watch the birds all day long. It would love to have multiple monitors and just indulge. Unfortunately I wouldn't get anything else done.

Thanks again and thanks for the tip on the archives.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Live bald eagle video cam from Santa Catalina Island CA Empty Re: Live bald eagle video cam from Santa Catalina Island CA

Post  lesherb Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks Brent! I just saw an eaglet peeking out from under his mommy or daddy (the tag looks like the number 85....don't know what's up with that!).

£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Live bald eagle video cam from Santa Catalina Island CA Empty Re: Live bald eagle video cam from Santa Catalina Island CA

Post  Brent Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:38 pm

82 is mom. A couple hrs ago dad brought up some kind of seabird for lunch.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:40 pm

They're snoozing right now. Does the scenery look so serene?
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:45 pm

This is really cool...however I can't have it up at home. My dogs heard this birds squawking and got all upset. Abby was washing my face as it was making "hurt" noises and they were looking all over for the source of it.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:39 pm

I have two windows open side by side. One with the owl and the other the eagle. So all day long we can glance over and see what's going on. The male eagle has brought a couple fish up missing their heads. It looks like dad gets the head and the rest for mom and the little ones.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  LizzieB Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:07 am

Now Brent, do you think I've got all day to watch these webcams - Very Happy Very Happy

Yesterday evening (UK time), I was watching the biggest barn owl chick trying desperately to squeeze it's way out from under its mother but she kept pushing him back again!

Love it, thanks.
Liz
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:15 am

I really enjoyed watching the eagles and eaglets. The tenacious, curious little eaglets were so cute trying to squeeze out from under mom or dad to look around. I was struck by how alert and observant the mom and dad are. They spend little time sleeping. Mom and dad's communications with each other were cool too.

Thanks for sharing this site.

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Live bald eagle video cam from Santa Catalina Island CA Empty thanks

Post  lentils Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:15 pm

i love watching these. I sent the links to my kids and grandkids.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:54 pm

I watch this all the time, I have the window open even at night. I love the scenery, how peaceful.

I did notice though it is a tad bright at night. I often see night vision as a green tint so I am questioning if they have a light on them all evening. If so, I kind of wonder if that is cruel. I certainly wouldn't want a light on me while I was sleeping. I don't know much about cameras or photography so maybe there is such thing as white night vision though...I am hoping someone can chime in and make me feel better about this.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:32 pm

They use small infrared LED lights that the birds (or any other animals) can't see. The camera chip picks it up and changes it to visible light minus any color. Point your TV remote at your face and push some buttons, you won't see any light. Then turn on your digital cam or camcorder and push remote buttons while it's aimed at the camera. You will see a flash of light each time you push a button in your camera LCD display.

That is what they use. They would never do anything that would be disruptive to an active nest. My next game camera trap I get will have a bank of 100 IR LED's for night pics. The one I have now uses a visible flash which can scare some animals off.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:19 pm

Thanks for putting my mind to ease about that Brent. I kind of figured since they are animal lovers they would think ahead of me..I just wanted to be reassured..Cool technology!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:59 am

I keep the eagles up on my computer most of the day too, while I'm listening to audio books. I can hear the nature sounds in the background, and it's so soothing. I can't believe how much the eaglets grow day to day.

Mama, Daddy and the two eaglets have really impressed me with their family dynamics, alertness and activity.

This is so much better than watching real-time human TV--humans could learn a lot from the eagles.

Becky Very Happy flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:18 pm

This and the barn owl cam is making me want to put one up myself. I live way out in the sticks and we have three different species of owl. It would only be a matter of time before a pair would claim the box. The web cams are not too expensive and I know how to build the IR LED light bank.

The little thinking wheels in my head are turning. That means something usually happens. What a Face
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:16 pm

wow, that's awesome brent. thanks for the link.

Back to top Go down

Live bald eagle video cam from Santa Catalina Island CA Empty Eagle and Owl cams

Post  crt Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Brent,

I'm thinking about an Owl box too. If you go ahead and put one up, please talk about the construction here.

Thanks,
Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Right now I am sourcing the camera, IR lighting and cables needed. The cam I am looking at is the new Microsoft Life Cam HF wide screen. It has a omnidirectional noise canceling mic and auto focus. The reviews on it have been very good.

I have built several red cedar bird houses and such and like working with it. It resists rotting and insects and has a very nice rich red-brown color when a finish is put on. It's also not the cheapest wood either even though it grows abundantly right here in Western WA.

I can send you my plans for the dimensions when I get them finished up.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down