migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with DVD Player Purchase

3 posters

Go down

Help with DVD Player Purchase Empty Help with DVD Player Purchase

Post  lesherb Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:34 am

Hi folks,

I am one step above illiterate when it comes to DVD players. We have 2 of them hooked up right now and I can operate them. The one in the living room is an HD-DVD player which came with surround sound. Not too long after that obtaining this player, we heard that Blue-Ray was deemed the standard.

I have a subscription to Netflix. The DVDs from them play on our player so I assume they're not Blue-Ray. Netflix also has an option of streaming movies to your TV to watch (instead of watching them on the computer or waiting for them to arrive in the mail).

My husband's employer rewards the employees with "points", which can be used to purchase items at a specific catalog website. Among the items offered there, are DVD players. I can weed out some as not being what I want but to give you an idea of my challenge, the total number of items is 102!

We have an HDTV. I am hoping someone here can help me select one that has these features:

1. Ability to play Blue Ray DVDs.
2. Ability to play regular DVDs.
3. Ability to use Netflix's 'straight to TV' video playing

I can't tell if some of these Blue Ray players can play regular DVDs. I also want to make sure I am getting the best picture (HD) I can. I guess Blue Ray has HD integrated into it, right?

If anyone is willing to help me select a player, I could weed out the ones that I know don't fit the bill and just show you the ones I am considering (by sending you the info about it via email).

You can post to me here and then we can do this via email.

Thank you for reading and a great big thanks to whomever chooses to help me with this (if someone does). You're the best!

With appreciation,
£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Help with DVD Player Purchase Empty Re: Help with DVD Player Purchase

Post  Paradox Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm DVD illiterate. Can't work it no matter how many times Hubby shows me. Have to have my mentally handicapped son do it for me. Computers? I'm a whiz. DVD's and VCR's? No can do.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks for posting anyway Sad
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:07 am

DVD Dummy here too.

Steve H at Best Buy told us that BlueRay is HD by its nature and the BlueRay was the standard fo HD. So I know that BlueRay is the way to go. Other than that - go to BestBuy (their employees do NOT work on commission), find yourself a young and handsome Geek, and talk with them about DVD's ... those young fold at BestBuy are real smart and love to talk with you. Just do not mention that you will be buying with points thru Herb's employer.

Bon Chance
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks, Richard. I remember learning all about VHS VCRs back in the '80s by picking the brain of an employee at an appliance store. I learned all about why 4 heads were better than 2 and things like that. Then I went to the discount appliance store across the street, and made my purchase. I saved $300! (VCRs were going for about $700 back then).

I understand that Blue Ray is the standard much as VHS became the standard between it and Beta. I just don't understand the initials after the names of the products. There isn't a Best Buy in our hometown and I don't venture out of town alone (don't like to drive far nowadays). So I'll have to see if hubby is game.

Thanks again!
£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down