migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Viking footplayer/migraines

5 posters

Go down

Viking footplayer/migraines Empty Viking footplayer/migraines

Post  estre004 Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:26 pm

http://wcco.com/vikings/percy.harvin.migraines.2.1852709.html

Thought I would share this since it was in the paper today. At least it brings about awareness.
I know we have discussed him in the past.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Viking footplayer/migraines Empty viking player with M

Post  rileyoday Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:16 pm

There are a few others also. I think that they and their team drs have tried all known treatment and have searched for any new treatment. They talked about it on the air alot a couple of years ago when they where in playoffs.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Viking footplayer/migraines Empty Re: Viking footplayer/migraines

Post  Cathy Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:50 am

I find it interesting that he went to the Mayo Clinic but seems to be no better. My mother thinks if I would just go to the Mayo Clinic they would "fix my head." I have been to migraine clinics who said I have already tried all the standard treatments and there's nothing more that could be tried.

I have a lot of respect for him that he has kept going with the migs. I can barely sit at my desk and he's running around on the field playing football. These things just hit anyone, don't they?

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:52 pm

The Mayo Clinic has this mystique that it's the "golden orb" of all medical information. Don't get me wrong, they are very good at a lot of things, but like my doctor told me they're not necessarly the best place for migraine problems.

Funny thing is I'm sitting here at the Mayo Clinic writing this... What a Face
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:48 pm

No way!

My impression of Mayo--they are very efficient Smile

They send great reports to the patient and the PCP/GP Smile

I personally would trust what they have to say about MRI's (if they do them).

It can be hard to get in for migraine disease. Even if your doctor tries to get you in. They turn people away and tell them to get care closer to home.

They turned Anna away ten years ago and sent their form letter saying "Get migraine care closer to home," and we live fairly close to Mayo! They took her five years later when she got her Chiari diagnosis. I firmly believe in my heart if they would have seen her when we first tried to get her in, they would have found her Chiari and she'd be a lot better off today getting quicker treatment for it.

Their neuro told us they usually do not take migraine patients who have been to other migraine clinics.

They prescribe the same meds everyone else does, with the exception of opioids. The neuro said they have no magic formula there.

They probably prescribe less meds (at a time). They are conservative. They tell people that Diamond prescribes too many meds at once.

They never hospitalize anyone for migraine disease.

They have a good chronic pain rehab program if you are up to that, if you can hang around Rochester for three to four weeks, and if you can afford to pay for hotel and meals during that time, as it is not inpatient.

Those are my personal impressions!

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:48 pm

My husband loved the quote from Childress about not giving up.

He said that is a quote for the ages.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down