migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scared Daily Migraines

+3
HeelerLady
marion
mfanton2010
7 posters

Go down

Scared Daily Migraines Empty Scared Daily Migraines

Post  mfanton2010 Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:49 pm

I'm scared right now, because I've been having daily migraines and it seemed to have started after I've had some GI issues. This past Tuesday I went to the ER because I was having pain my chest and abdominal area. It turned out I had a lot of "bowel" in my colon and a lot of gas trapped. The ER doc gave me a stool softener and some pain meds and told me to get in touch with my GI doc. I'm having an endoscopy next week because I've had a recurrence of GERD.
Can daily migraines have any connection to GI issues? I'm thinking of calling my neurologist to see if I can see him and get an MRI because daily migraines seem very suspicious, like there is something else going on.
As I think I mentioned in my intro, I do suffer from anxiety and I notice my migraines get really bad when I'm having an anxiety attack. Since I have complicated migraines it makes my anxiety go through the roof at times and my meds take a bit to work. I hate taking Immetrex every day because I don't know if it's effecting anything.
I'm just scared, but I don't want to keep going to my doctors, because I've been going to them, it seems almost every other week for something.

mfanton2010

https://www.facebook.com/littlemissdisaster?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Scared Daily Migraines Empty Re: Scared Daily Migraines

Post  marion Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:07 pm

I think most of our problems are connected. Migraine, IBS, Addisons, Hashimotos, Allergy..... Some of these are now confirmed autoimmune, and once you have one you're more likely to have others.

The thread re anti-histomines the other day I found interesting that so many people use them and find some relief. It tends to suggest a lot of people do have allergy problems and that their antibodies are overreacting to allergens causing sinus or sleep problems.

We call our allergens for migraines triggers, but I'm coming to the conclusion they should be called allergens too and that the migraine is some sort of anaphelactic reaction.

If you are having tummy problems on top of the migraine, you probably fall into the autoimmune sufferer group as well in some way or another.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  mfanton2010 Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm trying to convince my doctor to check me out for fibromyalga (sp) but she is one of those doctors that doesn't believe in it. I'm also thinking part of my migraines might be caused by allergies because I have sinus issues too. I should look into taking Benedryl to see if it helps, it's helped me before with my sinuses.

mfanton2010

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:14 pm

First of all...deep breath. Smile I have daily migraines and I don't know why and have for the past 9 months (doctor doesn't know why either). I don't know if migraines are related to GI issues - it could be a stressor that brought it on, but frankly I have no idea.

What I would do is to make an appointment with your neurologist. Tell him what is going on and see what he wants to do. An MRI is pretty standard course of action - rarely do they find anything but it's good to rule things out. I don't know if you are on any preventative medications, but that may be where they start - as well as give you a few items to combat the symptoms. I would also see if they can give you something to combat the anxiety - if you have a problem with it and it's exacerbating it, probably worth while to look into.

Don't be afraid to keep seeing the doctors - it's not your fault if there's something wrong. You realize you need help and not seeing them would be rather foolish. Sort of like if your sink is leaking and you do nothing to fix it and pretty soon the sink is falling through the floor from the water rotting the floor - please take care of yourself as the longer you put it off the worse you are going to feel.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:56 pm

mfanton2010 wrote:I'm trying to convince my doctor to check me out for fibromyalga (sp) but she is one of those doctors that doesn't believe in it. I'm also thinking part of my migraines might be caused by allergies because I have sinus issues too. I should look into taking Benedryl to see if it helps, it's helped me before with my sinuses.

I have fibro it has nutty effects which could be caused by anything. The constancy and the tender points are the only way to tell really. As for the Dr not believing in it...common problem but not acceptable, has been accepted for many years now.
Change your doctor I guess. MIND YOU> There is no real treatment for FMS. Very little success, so the diagnosis is good to put your mind at rest, but not much else.
To answer you question about GI and migraine. Yes.. They say they are co morbid. I say they are part of the same problem.
Google "gut brain" I KNOW my migraines effect my gut and vice versa. I have IBS as well.
Dont be scared, just try to get a diagnosis. If you get anxious, especially if you have IBS or Fibro, it will exacerbate the symptoms.
Happy to tell more, but its 2am here, I need to sleep.
Take care and try not to worry.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  mfanton2010 Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Thanks everyone, I feel really touched by how many people here care and I'm a newbie here.

mfanton2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Most of the time, I have daily migraines. Years ago when I was pregnant, I had 2 months straight of a bad migraine. Then it just went away on its own.... Wish it would do that now.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:29 pm

mfanton2010 wrote:Thanks everyone, I feel really touched by how many people here care and I'm a newbie here.

stick around!! This is a really really good support/ discussion forum. Lots of responses... Very timely.... And personable too. We are a close bunch and yet we are always expanding!! Smile

I hope you feel better. At least for awhile... Everyone deserves a break!!
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  mfanton2010 Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:01 pm

After I posted this, my migraines haven't been that bad. I think it's related to the GI issues I've been having. I go in for an upper GI endoscopy on Wednesday morning to see what's causing the GI issues.

mfanton2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Jangel Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:22 am

I too have GERD and chronic migraines, as well as fibromyalgia and am hypothyroid. Sheesh.

Anyway, the gut and brain are definitely interconnected. Our gut has more neurotransmitters in it than our brain does! I find that the anxiety makes all of it worse and could even be a contributing factor.

Chronic stress also affects how our brains work, how our neurotransmitters work etc.. In my case, I think it sent me over the edge, from a condition that had occasional flare-ups to one that is now chronic. My theory, but one that makes sense considering what I've read. Oh yeah, and hormones too....

Keep educating yourself. This forum is great for connecting with others and learning about others experiences. It's helped me alot.

Good luck with the endoscopy - I've had 2 - luckily nothing found - just regular ol' acid reflux.

Peace,
Jane sunny
Jangel
Jangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down