migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

botox reaction, is this normal?

+4
Kflacy
mattie
Migrainegirl
ConcordGrape
8 posters

Go down

botox reaction, is this normal? Empty botox reaction, is this normal?

Post  ConcordGrape Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:26 pm

I've had botox 2 times.

The first time I told the nurse "I hate needles", she reassured me it would be fine, and I kept my eyes closed the whole time. I had no idea it would take so long, and halfway through I started to feel lightheaded. By the end of it, I almost passed out, and had to lie down in the office until my head cleared.

The second time, my Dr gave me the botox, and he had a med student watching. Feeling like an "expert" because I already did this once, I stupidly did not close my eyes, and felt totally shocked to see the needles coming at my face. The doctor took much longer to administer the botox, and kept asking me to change position, "look this way, now turn around, sit in the chair here". I also informed him that last time I almost passed out, and this time I felt myself slowly losing consciousness while he was doing it. I began to sweat, lost hearing in my right ear, and then when I spoke my concern, my voice sounded distant, and I was confused. Overall, I did not pass out, but was taken to another room to lie down until my head cleared.

Both times the nurses and doctor reassured me, "this is normal" and "it's just your nerves". But is this normal? I haven't been able to find any threads about it on here. I thought they were referring to "my nerves" meaning anxiety, but now I think maybe they literally meant it was my nerves reacting to the botox injection?

Thinking about it now, the sensation reminded me of the one time I had a seizure. Especially the sweaty/loss of control part. It was scary.

EDIT: Maybe next time I will bring headphones and listen to a song I love while I get it done...
ConcordGrape
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

botox reaction, is this normal? Empty Re: botox reaction, is this normal?

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:00 am

Hi, I did the Botox also a few weeks ago. I too am seriously afraid of needles and kept my eyes closed the whole time (which I recommend regardless).

I did not think it was that bad. Yes, it stung (like getting novicane shots at the dentist). And there were an awful lot of them. I was sore for a few days. But if it works, I would probably do it again.

I did not pass out or get light headed, which I have done in the past. Perhaps I'm finally overcoming this? So yes, I would say it is your reaction to shots in general causing what you felt, rather than the Botox itself. I totally emphathisize though. I've had that reaction most of my life.

Still deciding whether this is going to work for me. I did ok, despite a lot of overseas travel which is always hard on me. and then got a searing migraine a week later. I think there must have been nitrates in the sausage I ate. Ok since then.

The biggest complaint is my face looks weird. One eyebrow is now a little higher and it's made my eyes look mean. Like a bit of a Klingon across the forehead. Thank goodness I've got bangs. But still! I thought this stuff was supposed to make you look better, or at least not worse! It's always something....
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  mattie Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:35 am

The symptoms you describe are what happens to me when I'm having allergic reaction to something. It has nothing to do with my nerves or being afraid because I don't mind needles. I give myself injections. After all it is a toxin. If it happens the third time you will know for sure whether it's nerves or allergy. You're braver than I. Good luck.

mattie

Back to top Go down

Post  ConcordGrape Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:26 am

Mattie, I had ruled out allergic reaction because I assumed it would be what you expect--swelling, itching, runny nose, something more "typical". But now that I search more online, fainting, and loss of hearing are symptoms. I am going to call my doctor and ask about this. I am torn because the Botox worked for me the first time, and will probably work better this time, but since my reaction to it was stronger, I don't know how I feel about going back a 3rd time.

So the real question is, what is scarier: an immediate (mild?) allergic reaction to Botox, or missing out on an opportunity to knock out migraines for a large chunk of time. I hate that I am even asking myself this right now...

And Migrainegirl YES! The first time I got it done I looked at myself in the mirror and then screamed in horror at first sight of how my eyebrows had changed. Of course, my eyebrows didn't move when I was screaming, and this caused me even more shock. I then spent the next 10 minutes trying every possible expression I could think of, and also kind of enjoying my new abilities to raise just the outside of my brows. Laughing It gets old though, and I do miss my old expressions. Friends also get a kick out of my lack of eyebrow movement, so at least it's a source of entertainment.
After 3 months the eyebrow movement pretty much all came back. But I think if you keep getting it done your eyebrow muscles will lose the ability to move (think super botoxed movie stars).
ConcordGrape
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

Post  Kflacy Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:48 pm

I am not afraid of needles and I think it is anxiety that caused your reaction. I did have a severe allergic reaction to Botox and it was rash, hives and bruises all over my body that lasted a month. If it helps with your migraines then try the headphones to keep you relaxed.

Kflacy

Back to top Go down

Post  ConcordGrape Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:58 pm

Hey K,
Thanks for writing. At the time I was taking lisinipril as preventative and it has kept my blood pressure fairly low (though not too low). So I think you are correct. The little bit of nerves caused my bp to drop, and then I almost fainted. I asked my primary care and he told me to have it done in a chair where I can rest my head (doubtful), and elevate my legs (more likely). I'll most definitely bring music next time.

PS. I think the botox is still working. I've been so aggressive with treatments that I really don't know what IS working, but my headaches have improved enough to go for a third round once this wears off.
ConcordGrape
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:32 am

I haven't done botox, but I had a cortisone injection to my wrist that was really bothering me. The injection took much longer than the typical injection, and the longer it went on the more I started struggling with cold sweat and rapidly tunneling vision. I know my reaction is related to anxiety about needles, since I did as you have and tried to watch. My doctor said that if I had to repeat the injection, I'd want to lie down and close my eyes before and during the injection.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  kloos Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:58 am

Definitely normal. I had the same reaction when I tried Botox (which didn't work). I then tried the occipital nerve block which was 4 injections and wow, that was trippy, I had to rest for about 20 minutes before the nurses were happy to let me out of the hospital. Oh, and that didn't work either.

kloos

Back to top Go down

Post  lavenderfield Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:54 pm

Botox is expensive! Have u tried getting a rmt massuese to work on your "suboccipital muscles" located in the back of your neck. When they get tight I get migraines. They can loosen this area. Also tennis balls help. Have u tried this?

lavenderfield

Back to top Go down

Post  ConcordGrape Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:41 pm

Update: Got botox a 3rd time and did not faint! I stopped taking lisinopril a few months ago and so I think low bp was the issue. Phew!
ConcordGrape
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

Post  fxky Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:46 am

Hi, I've been having botox injections for almost three years (since I was eighteen) I am super afraid of needles because a rather traumatic experience I had with a nurse when I was four years old and I also get lightheaded pretty easily. Still I've learned to cope with the botox injections, I've realized they're nothing like vaccines in the arm or butt. To prevent getting light headed I eat well the night before the application and get a good breakfast. I suggest you to look into the pros and cons of botox, if it really works or you then think about this being only every few months and that it's better than a migraine. Also it depends a lot on who is applying the botox. I've always gotten it applied by my neurologist and never by a nurse, I feel very confortable with him and he's very good at applying and not causing pain.

fxky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down