migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone work in the health professions?

+3
Sara79
Angela0611
ConcordGrape
7 posters

Go down

Anyone work in the health professions? Empty Anyone work in the health professions?

Post  ConcordGrape Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:23 pm

I ask because I'm thinking about Pharmacy school. This is a 4 year commitment and consists mostly of science-based curriculum. There are also 3 year accelerated programs that are year round.

I tried to go to landscape architecture school (master's) and left after a semester because I was getting migraines every day (and forced to work with them). The unpredictable, intense work schedule was my downfall. I worked 12+ hrs a day with 0 days off, with irregular eat/sleep patterns. I sure you can imagine how high my stress levels were...
ConcordGrape
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

Anyone work in the health professions? Empty Re: Anyone work in the health professions?

Post  Angela0611 Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Why don't you start as a pharmacy tech and see how you like it. I have friends who start as pharmacy techs and move up and some have gone back to school to become pharmacists. But they don't suffer from migraines. But it is only an 8 hour shift.

Angela0611

Back to top Go down

Anyone work in the health professions? Empty Re: Anyone work in the health professions?

Post  Sara79 Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:13 am

I'm a respiratory therapist, and work in the hospital setting. Feel free to ask about the workplace if you've got any specific questions

Things to keep in mind: every hospital and commercial pharmacy I've seen has florescent lights, if they're a trigger, you might want to look elsewhere; also twelve hour shifts are the norm for the hospital setting, and I've heard some retail pharmacists speak of shifts that are even longer.

I work nights, it makes my commute easier, and they dim the lights on the units around 10 PM, so I don't have as much trouble with the lights. It also makes the hospital less crowded, the only caregivers there at night are the critical ones, so I'm not battling with OT/PT/speech/social workers....

Hope the info helps

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  ConcordGrape Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks for your responses. I am definitely going to try a few days shadowing to see how I like it, and if I do, get a job as a pharm tech.
I'm not sure if fluorescent lights are an issue for me. I've worked in several office environments but I've always had migraines, so its hard to pinpoint those as the cause. The more I think about this, the more I feel like the headaches will be a problem (this could just be because I have a migraine right now!)
If I think of some other things I'll send you a message Sara, thanks again!
ConcordGrape
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

Anyone work in the health professions? Empty Medical librarian

Post  doximom Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:14 am

Hi -- I am a medical librarian and I absolutely love my job. As a migraine sufferer I am able to look up so much information that might help. I would say go forward and do whatever you want to do as if you did not have this problem! Don't let it stop you! If there's a day that you can't get to school, so be it. Even if you have to explain to the teacher. My rule is, unless I feel like I'm about to die, I don't let them stop me!

GOOD LUCK!

doximom

Back to top Go down

Post  girlnamedgoo2 Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:33 pm

I am a new graduate nurse. I have worked a a CNA (certified nurse aide) for 7+ years before I got my RN. I went through an accelerated program. It was hard, but I can usually control my migraines with abortive meds. As others have said, the fluorescent lighting is terrible. Also, the noise level. I often continue to muscle through a migraine while at work, and I sometimes worry about the "migraine fog" affecting the care I provide. Nursing was something I really wanted, so I find a way to make it work. Best of luck to you!

girlnamedgoo2

Back to top Go down

Post  ConcordGrape Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:06 am

Great answers, all around. Thank you everyone for the encouragement Smile

I spent a lot of time talking to pharmacy students and reading about programs and ultimately decided it wasn't the right fit for me. But I have now settled on OT, for various reasons. There is a lot of job flexibility--can work in schools, clinical settings, nursing homes, professional offices--it is a very social role, and job demand seems to be increasing. I spent the past year working in tech, living by my laptop, and hated it. So many headaches, and I always desired to speak to people face-to-face.

I can really see myself using my talents as an OT, I just have to take a few college prereq's, the GRE, apply, and oh ya know, survive 3+ years of a masters or doctorate program *headache-free* Razz
ConcordGrape
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

Anyone work in the health professions? Empty Re: Anyone Work in Healthcare Field

Post  micheletroyer Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:06 pm

I have a degree in OT and passed my OT boards in 2006.  Unfortunately, the migraines got too bad and I only worked for a total of one year.  My OT program was wonderful working with me through reasonable accommodations -- that's why I preach getting them; they made it possible for me to finish the program in good standing.  BTW I went to Newman University in Wichita, KS.

I've found that a lot of OT "techniques" have helped me recover more quickly from my hemiplegic migraines, and I am no cost to myself.  Smile

During my 2nd affiliation of 3, I posted my resume on Monster.com.  I had 5 calls within 15 minutes of posting.  There is a real need out there for OT's and many companies are willing to pay generous salaries, sign on bonuses and moving expenses.  You just have to sign a contract to work for the company for a set amount of time (mine was three years), or repay the bonuses given at hiring.  The first hospital that hired me merged with another hospital, so I was let go of my obligation to repay the bonuses.

It's a wonderful, exciting profession, and I don't regret going through the program for one minute, in spite of the increase in migraines and hospitalizations.

Good Luck to you CG, and I hope you find OT as flexible and interesting as I have.
micheletroyer
micheletroyer

Back to top Go down

Post  kiohaa Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:01 am

I'm not sure if fluorescent lights are an issue for me. I've worked in several office environments but I've always had migraines, so its hard to pinpoint those as the cause. The more I think about this, the more I feel like the headaches will be a problem (this could just be because I have a migraine right now!)  If I think of some other things I'll send you a message Sara, thanks again!??

kiohaa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down