migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prevention and Self-Treatment.

2 posters

Go down

Prevention and Self-Treatment. Empty Prevention and Self-Treatment.

Post  glan Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:42 pm

About 10 years ago I was treated with Beta Blockers for about a year, since then I occasionally get strong migraines including nausea. This and a fistful of other incidents drove me away from modern medicine and I came to investigate reasons and solutions for myself a little bit once in a while.
I usually try to prevent vomiting as I usually get better faster that way.

Maybe these lists will help someone out there, maybe someone may also have something to add to it, but please refrain from recommending any artificial chemicals.

Following things seem to cause my migraine, sometimes a single trigger, but usually a combination of them:
-Oversleeping
-Too many candies
-Lack of nutrition
-Too much staring at a screen
-Sitting in an overheated room
-Crooked body posture

Following things seem to help preventing and treating my migraine:
-Fresh air
-Movement, moderate fitness
-Straight body posture
-Relaxed body posture
-Frequent meals, especially carbohydrates and water

Following things seem to help treating my migraine:
-Head postures: Keeping your head facing all the way to either side, leaning it all the way to either side or towards the backside. Sometimes I use a hand to apply additional pressure, but don't be rough, after all it is your neck and forcing it into a certain direction while in a relaxed state can be dangerous.
-Lying with your neck and/or spine in an overextended position, for example by placing a pillow beneath your neck/spine.
Usually the pain ceases a couple of seconds after applying these techniques, and only as long as staying in that certain position.
UPDATED:
-Pure salt
-Coffee (I drink it with milk)

I am not a professional so I can't say why these "yoga style self-treatments" work for me but from my experience with regular medicine and whatever else "doctors" have to offer, I thank god I figured out these ways to literally escape the pain most of the time.

Last edited by glan on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

glan

Back to top Go down

Prevention and Self-Treatment. Empty Re: Prevention and Self-Treatment.

Post  Seaine Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:31 pm

I went to a biofeedback person once and she taught me how to do that, it only works so well though once the pain is bad enough. I do like to sit in a hot bathtub and close my eyes, althought a lot of people say heat makes their migraines worse... It often helps if I eat something while I have a migraine, even if I feel awful and don't want to eat I make myself and it ends up helping. When I was a child my migraine would go away after I threw up, but not anymore. I also try to keep from throwing up as now it just makes me more miserable.

My triggers are:
- Not getting any sleep at all, like only 3-4 hours
- Eating or drinking anything with red #40 food coloring (investigating MSG as well currently)
- Exposure to something I'm allergic to (worse than seasonal allergies)
- Loud noise over an extended period (used to work in a dog kennel)
- Being hungry for too long
- Taking a painkiller like Aspirin and then withdrawing from it
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  glan Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Apparently, not only a sodium shortage, but also too much sodium can cause migraines....
http://www.livestrong.com/article/277354-sodium-deficiency-migraines/

glan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down