migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Work and migraines..

+4
tdu
Migrainegirl
ZomigMan
massageguy
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Work and migraines.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Work and migraines..

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:00 pm

I've had to give up all the preventatives I've tried due to weird side effects.
I am taking vitamins and supplements which have helped me more.

On the positive side I have not had side effects from Triptans. Just 2 I tried were not effective. Frova works about half the time but I need to take Oxycodone with it.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  ZomigMan Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Oxy... just FYI, I was reading a study published in the journal Headache that found that migraine sufferers who use opiates and barbiturates, including butalbital, codeine, and oxycodone to treat their migraines are actually at higher risk for developing chronic migraine (having migraines 15 or more days per month).

I was given an Rx for butalbital for cluster headaches (mis-diagnosed) many years ago and they made me downright suicidal. I tossed them out in a hurry. I also found that I got migraines after being given morpheme and dilaudid when I was in the hospital with a colon attack 2 years ago. I was being fed intravenously with no food for 3 days, so it was not any food that I ate.
ZomigMan
ZomigMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:24 pm

Yes, a number of doctors are down on opiates these days. But honestly it is the ONLY thing that gives me any pain relief. I use a low dosage. And we have ruled out migraine rebound. I get them whether I have had any Oxy or not. The only thing cutting out the Oxy did for me was create a lot more days of being miserable and non- functioning. I honestly would be prematurely retired without it as I would be unable to work even at the level I currently am ( which is no where near 100%).

As with everything it seems, we all react different. I am very worried about this latest no-pain reliever trend. It will take a lot more even further ruined lives before they figure out that's not really helping people either. If they can't fix this nightmare, the least they can do is to provide some relief so we can have some semblance if a life!! (sorry, sore subject)

Last edited by Migrainegirl on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Migrainegirl wrote:Yes, a number of doctors are down on opiates these days. But honestly it is the ONLY thing that gives me any pain relief. I use a low dosage. And we have ruled out migraine rebound. I get them whether I have had any Oxy or not. The only thing cutting out the Oxy did for me was create a lot more days of being miserable and non- functioning. I honestly would be prematurely retired without it as I would be unable to work even at the level I currently am ( which is no where near 100%).

As with everything it seems, we all react different. I am very worried about this latest no-pain reliever trend. It will take a lot more even further ruined lives before they figure out that's not really helping people either. If they can't fix this nightmare, the least they can do is to provide some relief do we can have some semblance if a life!! (sorry, sore subject)

Oxy has also been very effective for me if taken at the right time. I have never had to increase the dose I have had to take of it, and I am very careful not to abuse it. It's the one failsafe drug I have that can 'get me through' a days work if I have to take something to plow through. I get minimal side effects, and 4-5 hours of relief probably 80% of the time. I don't even get close to that with Triptans unfortunately, and I get intolerable side effects with them as far as working. Luckily my Dr knows my history, knows how little of them I use, and is very understanding. But I get the third degree every time I pick up a prescription from the pharmacy because of the stigma these meds have now. But I am not exaggerating when I say Percocet is probably the reason I have been able to keep a job for the last 8 years. Every treatment is going to be different for every person.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2