migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

has anyone used CBT to combat migraine?

+3
Paradox
pen
dizzyflower
7 posters

Go down

has anyone used CBT to combat migraine? Empty has anyone used CBT to combat migraine?

Post  dizzyflower Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:37 am

I was wondering if anyone had found that CBT helped? It is on the possible treatments list so wondered if it was worth a try.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

has anyone used CBT to combat migraine? Empty Re: has anyone used CBT to combat migraine?

Post  pen Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:27 am

I have been having this since the summer. Sadly it hasn't helped one bit.
In fact the stress from trying to keep appointments (they are very hot on this) with chronic migraine has actually forced me to drop out.
IMHO I don't think this can be of help to anyone with anything more than occasional migraine.
they give you tasks to do, that put me under a lot of pressure and depressed me being reminded that simple things I would be doing,
like walking the dog, might be deemed part of a remedy.
I just felt frustrated and irritated that she couldn't see I would be doing these things if it weren't for the migraine.
Sorry to be negative, but they just dont understand the migraine thing at all.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

has anyone used CBT to combat migraine? Empty Re: has anyone used CBT to combat migraine?

Post  Paradox Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:34 pm

What is CBT? I'd look it up myself, but I'm on a dial-up connection that takes FOREVER when I google.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:35 pm

paradox wrote:What is CBT? I'd look it up myself, but I'm on a dial-up connection that takes FOREVER when I google.

Charlotte

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:01 pm

I have been doing CBT since late August. My reaction is similar to Pen's......the exercises put more stress on one who is dealing with some level of chronic migraine pain.

An example of one of the exercises is "active remembering" where you remember everything you did, beginning with waking up, the day before. My memory is so poor, I can barely remember what I just did, let alone remember what I did yesterday. This required too much concentration and frustration. I was unable to complete this type of exercise.

The only part of CBT that may be of some benefit is the meditation and deep breathing. These aspects are probably good for anyone.

Trying to practice CBT when you are suffering a pain level of 8-10 is pointless. All you end up concentrating on is the pain and pounding of your head. It's difficult to think of anything else.

Becky Sad
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

has anyone used CBT to combat migraine? Empty CBT does it work?

Post  dizzyflower Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:44 am

Sorry you have had such a bad response. I get the impression it is practised by people who are not necesarily trained in treating migraine patients in a lot of areas.

I looked up the courses tat you have to do in this country to be a CBT practitioner. You seem to have to already have a psychology degree and a doctorate before you can do the university modules and there are not very many of them trained each year.

After putting this on the site I contacted a registered CBT practitioner who emailed back to say he honestly didn't think it would help. He said he heard that some people think they get help from hypnotherapy but he doesn't know much about it but thought it might be worth asking around. Has anyone tried that?

I also watched a programme called "Fix Me" which was about people with neurological problems for various reasons in a clinic. They seemed to be doing cognitive behaviour techniques there.

A lot of them were like the theraputic routines I used to do with special needs kids, I can't see them working on myself. Surely seen as I naturally gravitate to using those techniques in life I'm probably already doing the stuff when I can.

Operative words being when we can.

I am on a waiting list for this at some point but in a propper migraine center for which I will have to travel for a day there and a day back. staying over night. On the up side I will not be paying for it out of my pocket, but does anyone think it is worth it?

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

has anyone used CBT to combat migraine? Empty What I mean is has it worked for anyone?

Post  dizzyflower Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:46 am

Sorry I missed this bit of previous posting.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:16 am

Well it hasn't worked for me. I have just been dumped because due to migraine I cant keep up with the process.
Cheers, waste of 10 weeks and struggling for 8 appointment when I could have been doing something else.
I am not impressed. These people need to be taught about the limitations of migraine.
Razz Mad

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:33 pm

I'm one of "these people", and do CBT on a regular basis. I work with anxiety, depression and schizophrenia though, not persons with chronic health problems.

I too would say that you would need a very specific therapist that has specialized in doing CBT with chronic pain.

I do, honestly, believe in the process and have seen it really, really help people with anxiety and depression.

Our clinic has also used it in a group setting for fibromyalgia with a fairly good response.

Much of CBT can be done on your own.

Many areas offer online self-help type programs.

CBT is meant to change the way you think about a situation, so it changes the way you react to a situation. This can be applied to all areas of life.

I often find myself reviewing some of the stuff I teach day in and day out when I catch myself thinking negatively on my really bad pain days. But really....on a day anywhere higher then a six out of ten, much of what I know by heart goes right out the window.

I would recommend finding a cheap or free way of exploring CBT for migraines before I would suggest putting a large sum of cash into it. If a person has mood issues as well though, I would highly recommend it.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Very helpful response Milo thank you. I wish you were nearby. Sadly I think the process as offered to me is very basic. The therapist spent a lot of time telling me what was outside of her expertise. We spent 6 weeks assessing, so I havent actually had any help at all. Now, because I missed 2 appointments I am out. I do have Fibro and IBS as well, but doesn't mean I dont do my best, and shouldn't mean I cant have the therapy should it?

Thats what I mean by these people needing to understand migraine. It is always going to get in the way. Perhaps the process could be adapted, or be less rigid. Also the tasks given just depress me. I am doing my best, and giving me more things I fail at is counter productive. However I self referred becauseof Health related anxiety. Now she tells me I dont have it. But the clinical psychologist said I do. Sorry if my posting sounds a bit irritated.
I am pretty miffed.
Thanks, really
Pen
Razz

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:30 am

This post's topic made me laugh out loud in puzzlement.

To some people, CBT means something very, very different. So the CBT in the title had me VERY curious.

There is a lot of fascinating information in this thread ... but I do not believe from the little I read that CBT would help me at all. Glad the process and skills are useful to others though.

Last edited by Richard on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzyflower Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:39 am

Milo thankyou for your really useful reply. When you consider I would have to travel from one side of the country to the other to get the correct CBT I really appreciate your ideas.

Pen especially thankyou for sharing your experience with it. I think you might have gone where I'm on the waiting list for. Would you mind if I emailed you? Sorry they were not of any help. I didn't realise they take such a lot of time assessing us. It isn't very understanding of them to cancel you off the course, i'm really disgusted with them. You have every right to express your annoyance about such a negative experience. I hope that something else is working for you and you hadn't had your hopes pinned purely on this. Take care.

Diane

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:42 am

head not good today but feel free to email, no problem

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Rachel328 Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:25 am

LOL cause I know what Richard is talking about.

Causing undue stress to a migraine patient is just wrong. And then the actual exercises are for lowering stress? That doesn't make sense.

I can see doing these things at home once you know how to do them right. I have a biofeedback tape that I use nightly with deep breathing.

Rachel

Rachel328

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:22 am

I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with as far as links go to access some starter CBT.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:54 pm

I have been given a copy of CBT for dummies....it aint much like what they have been doing or rather not doing with me....
Thanks Milo Very Happy

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:00 pm

Just to clarify though, the words are Cognitive Behavioral Therapy correct? Thought I should clarify as there are an aweful lot of therapies out there.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:17 pm

[quote="milo"]Just to clarify though, the words are Cognitive Behavioral Therapy correct? Thought I should clarify as there are an aweful lot of therapies out there.[/quote

You got it Milo. Dead right.

pen

Back to top Go down

has anyone used CBT to combat migraine? Empty Pen I can't find your email post to option

Post  dizzyflower Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:04 am

Pen

How do I email you on this new forum? Not all of us have the email post icon, myself included. Any ideas?

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down