migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migraines/headaches, depression & overeating

5 posters

Go down

Migraines/headaches, depression & overeating Empty Migraines/headaches, depression & overeating

Post  Chucky Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:04 am

Hello all,

I used to feel like I was 'somewhat' coping when dealing with my migraines/chronic pain. However, especially over the last year, I feel like I'm in a downward spiral in many ways. Like I reached a breaking point and everything is crashing down....

One thing in particular that I have noticed is getting worse is after each 'serious' migraine (such as the ones that leave you crying - rocking back and forth in a fetal position in the shower, trying not to throw up), is I am compensating more and more with food after the attack. This uncontrollable impulse begins when I start to feel relief (as I get bad nausea/vomitting). I cannot stop stuffing my face especially with foods that are high in carbs / sugars and never feel full. I know I do this in search for emotional 'comfort', even though I know it doesn't help and only leaves me feeling disgusting and guilty. Each morning I wake up saying to myself 'get back on track today'. Easier said than done - as it has mind of it's own and when I'm like this, I cannot stop... I need to gain self control when I'm in this state!

Then.. if I get through a few weeks without pain, I am able to start exercises again, feeling better about myself and then the implusive eating slowly minimizes - but only until another migraine comes along then I'm right back at the bottom again.

How many of you out there do something similar to this? What has your experience been like? Has anything helped decrease/control food cravings/impluses? Yet another issue to deal with, just what I needed... No

-Christina

Chucky

Back to top Go down

Migraines/headaches, depression & overeating Empty Re: Migraines/headaches, depression & overeating

Post  lissy Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:56 am

Hi Christina

This is so real to me as well. I know exactly what your saying. When your on a high from no pain everything is on track and then it takes just 1 migraine to head down that spiral again. I eat when I'm depressed and living on my own doesn't help that. I get quite lonly and although my friend circle has improved (as a result of months of hard work with a psych) they are not there at night time. Sometimes I just want a hug or someone to talk to. Its so hard to deal with. Talking about how I'm feeling with my psychologist is helping, he's slowly breaking down the walls and barriers I put up. Not sure I can offer any advice other than hang in. My naturopath has just put me on a herbal called glucofactors which is supposed to help with sugar cravings so I'm helping maybe that will help.

Good luck,
Lissy
lissy
lissy

Back to top Go down

Migraines/headaches, depression & overeating Empty Re: Migraines/headaches, depression & overeating

Post  Chucky Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:38 pm

Hello there Lissy,

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

I too live on my own. I'm okay when I'm with people, but the moment I get home I just repeatedly head for the food.

It's a catch 22 for me, when in this stage I just want to be comforted and hugged like you mentioned. But in reality, I isolate myself as the last thing I want is to have someone around. Doesn't make sense!

I am on a waitlist to see a psychiatrist (psychologist's are too expensive here). No expectations but looking forward to it.

The glucofactors you mentioned. Can you tell me what brand it is? I have searched nutrition stores and cannot find it here. Looking online I found http://www.metagenics.com/products/a-z-products-list/Gluco-Factors are the ingredients similar? (there's a contact in Canada) I'm willing to give it a try as well; have nothing to loose at this point!

*hugs* sunny

-Christina

Chucky

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:12 am

Chucky,
Have you had your blood sugar levels checked?
Just a thought.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  lissy Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:08 am

Hi Christina

The one I am on is by bio ceuticals and looks a bit different to the metgenics one (although I do use metagenics products and they are very good). This is the one I am trying: http://www.bioceuticals.com.au/product.aspx?function=displayproduct&productid=143

I know what you mean about isolating yourself - I do exactly the same thing! What is with our brains!!!!!!! Strange, psychologists here are the cheaper option (well not cheap but in comparison!!!).

Good luck and if you need to chat, just send me an email.

Lissy
lissy
lissy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sunny Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:45 am

Have you ever asked your doctor for medicine for the nausea? Sometimes the nausea is worse for me than the head pain is. I get so intensely sick, and when I have a migraine for several days I will lay in bed and not eat for several days (so my problem is sort of the opposite). I end up eating garbage (like sugary cereal) but teeny amounts of it, just to get pills down.

Anyway, maybe if you can get your nausea under control during a migraine, you won't feel as tempted to overeat after. My doctor gave me Zofran, and it has helped me a lot. I can now force myself to eat something during a migraine, so I'm not quite as wiped out. Plus I think having a little something in my stomach when I take the pills helps with the nausea too.

Best of luck to you!!

Sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:53 pm

I also live on my own, but frankly it is opposite for me - I only ever eat much when I am in company. When I have visitors I always cook too much food and then I eat, or if I go out and I am offered nice food I will certainly eat too, but when I am alone at home, I do not feel like eating much. Why bother to cook. I do not have much apetite - my head hurts.
I do not exercise, but I have no weight problem.

One thing I have definitely noticed specially over festive seasons is that carbohydrates, and especially all white flour and sugars are definitely habit forming.
You start with one piece of cake, or one piece of toast and you must have anoter one. You can never have just one.
Then if you have cake one day, so you crave the same the next day, and two pieces the day after, and so it goes. Soon you want cakes every single day.

I know many people who do that every day; my friend bakes cakes every day and complains that she is too fat, and she does not know why, becasue she has only salads for lunch and walks every day. I love cakes, but I am not keen on baking them, so I bake them only when I have visitors. I also know that carbohydrates are like drugs, they create very strong cravings, very, very quickly, so I am aware of that fact.

I also like sweet tea, and at the moment I am trying to reduce the ammount of sugar in my tea, to a minimum. It is a slow progress, I try to do it gradually because cutting it out completely did not work for me, but I am sure it can be done.

I know that because we suffer with this horrid condition we need some comforting, we need something to keep us going when we feel low. But it is no good if it makes us feel even worse, so perhaps we need to try to make little changes and get better oraganised to make sure that we keep something else at home, like plenty of fresh tempting fruit for example, instead of all the carbs for the time when we crave sweet things.
Also dried fruit selection which is quite chewy can be very, very nice, once you get use to it, or bags of plain non-sweet pocorn or other things like this, to give you something else to bite.

You need to find alternatives - exercise can be difficult when you feel low, or when you are in pain, but having right kind snacks at home is important.

IT is not easy trying to be strong when your body keeps letting you down and when you are in pain, but you can start with little things, little changes, baby steps and these little changes will begin to make you feel gradually stronger, and better.And things will become more easy for you.

And living alone is not always so bad, after all you could be living with someone who makes your life even more miserable in a dreadful marriage and dreaming of being free.Being alone is not always bad.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down