migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good news about Zoe-not migraine related.

+2
tecky
30yrsofheadache
6 posters

Go down

Good news about Zoe-not migraine related. Empty Good news about Zoe-not migraine related.

Post  30yrsofheadache Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:27 am

Many of you here know of my daughter Zoe's difficulties with migraine and depression. We had some good news yesterday. She got into the first school she applied to:Tulane. Not one of her first choices, but a good one. We did not visit yet and dont know anyone who has gone there. Anyone have anything to say about Tulane or living in New Orleans? It is soooo far from VA (a drawback for my hubbie and I, but a plus for Zoe). We are waiting to hear from the other 9 (yes 9)schools before we decide. My favorites are UVA and William and Mary. Money is a real issue for us, so that will be one of the deciding factors.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Good news about Zoe-not migraine related. Empty Re: Good news about Zoe-not migraine related.

Post  tecky Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:25 am

Congrats, but I hope you can find one closer to home. I think it will give you more peace of mind, Cindy. flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Good news about Zoe-not migraine related. Empty Re: Good news about Zoe-not migraine related.

Post  30yrsofheadache Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks Becky. I do worry about her and the migraines. She cant take any preventatives and only has Fioricet to take. I remember my parents having to come and get me from college twice, about 3 1/2 hours away because of migraines. Its always something to worry about.
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:20 am

I know someone who teaches there. He loves New Orleans. Don't know about the school. Why is it that she can only take Fiorcet?

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:06 am

She only takes Fioricet because she has hemiplegic migraine. Also she cant take a lot of preventatives because they cause depression. She had a bad spell with it last year. I think we are both going to try Botox if we can get it approved by insurance. I really hope we find something to help before she goes off to college. Thanks for the info on New Orleans.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:44 am

Hi,

That is sonderful- please congratulate Zoe for me.

I am in Alabama and know a good many people who went to Tulane. All of them loved it. The only drawback I can see to Tulane is the fact that it definitely has a reputation as a party school. I only mention this because parties and migraines don't mix, or didn't for me. But two of my biggest triggers are loud noises and flashing lights- so I usually avoided louder parties. (I attended Rhodes College, a small liberal arts school in memphis and loved it.} I also met great friends who would on occasion have to drag me to the ER for a bad migraine.

The one thing that I would suggest is getting a disability qualification. All Zoe would need is a letter from her doctor that states she has migraine. This would allow her to make up any work missed due to migraine and also provide leniancy in attendance.

It sounds like she is looking at some wonderful schools. I know she will go well wherever she goes. Please keep us posted.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:47 am

Thanks, Sailingm. Its good to hear that people like the school. I had heard it is way up the list of party schools! Luckily, so far Zoe shows no signs of enjoying that lifestyle. I am really more worried that she will not get out of her room enough. Between being naturally studious and the migraines its difficult. I hope she has an outgoing roommate.I didnt know you went to Rhodes, Zoe is applying there also. I will look into the disability letter, I hadnt thought of it. I always get good advice here, no matter the subect.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:18 am

Hard to let your baby go so far away!

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:28 am

Congratulations! I don't know anything about Tulane but my nephew went to William & Mary. He loved it. Jon Stewart and Glenn Close went there, too. ;-)
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi,

Yes, I went to Rhodes and absolutely loved it. (Graduated in four years, something my doctors said would be impossible.} If she ever wants to talk about it, PM me and I will be happy to email her. It was a great school for me. (I also know the name of a good neurologist there.}

The disability qualification was no problem and I would highly reccomend it for Zoe. It would be helpful at any school she decides to attend. I found it helpful both in undergraduate and in graduate school. So, please look into it. If she doesn't need it, great.

I am sure she will fit in and find some good friends, just as I am equally sure she will get out of her dorm room.

Pain free days,
sailingm

sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down