migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Machine Gun Weekend

4 posters

Go down

Machine Gun Weekend Empty Machine Gun Weekend

Post  nursebeth Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:49 am

Headed to Knob Creek this weekend.
http://www.knobcreekrange.com/machine_gun_shoot.html

I figured Marc and Hal might find it interesting Smile

Beth
nursebeth
nursebeth

Back to top Go down

Machine Gun Weekend Empty Re: Machine Gun Weekend

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:24 am

Awesome Beth!

That would be a hoot. I don't have a Class III (maybe someday) but there are several fun implements I'd like to buy--as an investment too.

I've been slowly adding to my collection, but haven't been to the rifle range for ages.

Wow, that's awesome.

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  nursebeth Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:28 am

My uncle lives not far from Knob Creek, we will be staying there and shooting at his range as well.
He has his class III license and a few machine guns of his own, so it'll be a super fun filled weekend!
I am psyched about the night shoot most of all bounce

beth
nursebeth
nursebeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:45 pm

Wow! A machine gun weekend at a place that is called Knob Creek!!! Interesting name ..... (sorry, but I just could not resist)

I don't mean to offend, but to me this is as alien as .......... well I am actually struggling for a comparison. What a cultural difference.

It does remind me of an American ex-boss of mine, who wanted to get through Heathrow Airport with a couple of antique rifles in his luggage. He was seriously shocked that he wasn't allowed any and could not understand why he caused a major security alert. He was lucky that this incident happened before 9/11.

Enjoy the shootn ....

Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:59 pm

yes petzi, we enjoy our shooting sports.

along with porsches, i am an avid fan and collector of firearms. i enjoy target shooting, along with supporting my 2nd Amendment rights.

knob creek is a fantastic display of fully-auto MGs along with some other fun stuff. note, there are extremely rigorous checks done to acquire a fully automatic firearm, yet alone a semi-automatic firearm.

you truly have to be an upstanding citizen. it takes time and money--serious money. the ammunition alone is blows away medication costs, LOL.

one item i'd love to add is a British Bren Gun and a German MG42.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:31 pm

dunno about guns, but Beth love your tat !!!!!

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:31 am

Yes, I know passions run high in the US when it comes to guns.

Here it is a non-issue. I don't know anybody who is into guns. Money or no money. Houses abroad .... yes, cars ..... yes, art ..... yes, wine .... yes, netjet .... yes (although that got scaled back a bit since the crash). I have one friend who is into hunting, but he is an aristo and you know what they are like. It’s part of the aristo lifestyle to hunt, but even that is frowned upon now. Fox hunting for example has been outlawed in the UK a couple of years ago.

Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:22 am

You are right, Petzi, it is very cultural differences.

It would be alien to me to live where I couldn't own a gun. I too enjoy target shooting. I am also quite capable of protecting my children, livestock and pets from predators.

The idea of owning a home abroad is very foreign to me. I really can't imagine why anyone would want that hassle.

My husband and sons would envy you your weekend, Beth. Enjoy.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  nursebeth Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:46 am

I grew up in a very firearm-friendly atmosphere (being the only child of a gunsmith) but was always taught to have the utmost respect for them, just as my children have been taught.
I learned to shoot KY long rifles when I was about 3, before I could even shoulder one (as they are much longer than a 3yo) my Dad would kneel in front of me and place the rifle over his shoulder and i would shoot. I would carry a possibles bag to school as a book bag Smile yea I was/am a nerd.
This weekend was my idea, much impressing the BF Smile after changing the channel the other nite to watch Top Sniper, he said "I should just get it over with and marry you" LMAO (i acted like i didnt hear it)...
I overheard him describe me on the phone to a friend as "a guys girl" Laughing
What can I say? I love the smell of gunpowder.........

beth
nursebeth
nursebeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:34 pm

Definitely a part of our culture, and ultimately it is part of the pentagon's defense of this nation--any invader would face devistation from an armed population. Admiral Yamato feared an invasion of the U.S. would be disasterous due to civillian ownership of firearms.

I specifically and enthusiastically support my right to defend myself and my family. I don't hunt but like to target shoot.

The historical aspects is fascinating too. Firing some of these weapons that fought in the most significant battles in history is interesting and fascinating at the same time.

I learned at a young age how to safely handle firearms and to respect them, and followed up later with classes. That's the big key.

I learned a lot from my dad from his military training. I just haven't learned how to earn an expert badge in grenade toss. affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi Porsche Fan,

I am in two minds about fire arms. Living in crime ridden London I would feel a whole lot safer if I had a gun under my bed. Especially when my husband is off racing. My home has a great security system directly linked to the police and panic buttons galore, but I still sleep uneasy and feel vulnerable. I pack my kitties into the bedroom, bolt the door and keep the baseball bat close. Despite the draconian laws in the UK regarding harming their oh so precious burglars I would not hesitate to use it if threatened.

On the other hand, if I manage to get my hands on a fire arm criminals can get them too. So we are back to square one.

What really disturbs me is the fact that kids are being taught how to use a gun. The image it conjures up is too disturbing to even contemplate.

But then you will probably find it equally shocking to see a bunch of naked people prancing around on prime time TV before the watershed. On German TV it is nipples and swearing galore. Nobody bats an eyelid, because they are all so used to it. I have been living in restrained Great Britain for 14 years now and I am not used to this amount of nudity and swearing anymore (blush).

You have guns we have nipples. There you have it Very Happy

P.

Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:26 pm

Petzi wrote:Hi Porsche Fan,
What really disturbs me is the fact that kids are being taught how to use a gun. The image it conjures up is too disturbing to even contemplate.

I think you might have a different image of kids and guns than I, for one, do. All of my sons learned gun safety from an early age. All of them know that all guns are ALWAYS considered to be loaded and are treated accordingly. It isn't a matter of kids being taught to kill. It is a matter of kids being instructed properly in a sport.

In my mind's eye I see the grin on my son's face when he managed to keep them all on the target. I see him listening earnestly as his father lovingly explained the dangers involved and the proper techniques. I see the deep concentration as they worked to remember everything Mom and Dad had said and the extreme joy when they received their first rifle and knew Mom and Dad trusted them enough to give them this responsibility.

For us it really isn't a paramilitary setting. It is a skill that is a pleasure to develop and useful to have.

I suppose if I lived in Europe I would have to ban television from my home because I don't allow most curse words and none of the slangs for body parts to be said in my home. It sure is amazing how joined the world is these days but how different at the same time.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:33 pm

My aunt’s husband had a brother. When they were little boys the brother accidentally shot himself with his father’s hunting rifle. The little boy did not survive. It happened at Christmas. From then on Christmases have been banned in the family because the parents could not get over the death of their son.

P.

Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  nursebeth Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:08 am

Such a tragedy about the little boy........

My boys grew up shooting trap through their 4H club and loved every minute of it.

As far as the criminals getting weapons......... well it seems like they are always able to obtain things that they need to contribute to their illegal activities.
IMHO gun laws don't make us any safer, but stricter punishment for those committing the crimes do (or have the potential to, if/when they are enforced).

beth
nursebeth
nursebeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:44 am

Yes, I guess you are right when it comes to criminals.

Taking of cultural differences: Germany doesn't have a speed limit on the Autobahn (freeway). Yes, it is true. It is perfectly legal to go 280kmh if your car can manage and you have the nerve. Porsche Fan what do you think about that?

I know the speed limit in USA is about 65mph. Measly stuff. I think the Germans would collectively throw a hissy fit if they wouldn't be allowed to go full blast with their precious Porsches, Mercedes and BMWs.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:20 pm

There's always a way for the bums in any country to get around a system--and they do.

As for speed limits, yes here they are low, expect for a couple states that have 75. If memory serves some states in the west may have a bit higher in some areas.

A good chunk of the Autobahn has speed limits. Depending on traffic, you can still blow your Porsche out to 180 or 200+ if you can, LOL. Hopefully Germany can keep a good deal of their Autobahn unrestricted.

Their highways are much better than the U.S. Every 2 years (might be sooner now) everyone's car has to go through a really tough inspection process. It's a lot more stringent that state inspections. You wouldn't want a bunch of beat cars from Ohio go screaming around you at 100.

Most BMWs, Benzs, & Audis stateside are speed-governed to 130 mph. Some of these cars have limiters to 155, or a bit more.

I didn't break 105 today. Gotta blow out the cobwebs!

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:38 pm

Yes, the Autobahn does have speed limits depending on traffic, construction work, how tricky or curvy the road is or weather conditions. But there are enough stretches to give it your all. Fastest I dare to go is 190kmh (but only in the middle of the night and when I am the only one on the Autobahn). Hubby obviously has no such inhibitions. He is an obnoxious driver really!

I remember from another life that the equivalent of TUV and driving licence are ridiculously easy to obtain stateside (at least in California where I spent some time when I was a teen). I paid 10 bucks for my driving licence and the test consisted of a multiple choice form and driving around a parking lot. Easy really! Coming back to my native Austria they sniffed at my the Californian Driving Licence (surprise!) and I had to go and get an Austrian version. Cost an absolute fortune, a month at school (in the evenings) and a minimum of 20 hours driving with the instructor. I was lucky enough that I gathered enough driving experience in the US, but there are plenty of poor souls who fail the test and have to go through it again.

You are also right with the TUV - very stringent and no excuses. The TUV was the bane of my life when I was younger. There was always something up with my dodgy old cars and the repair costs have been punishing.

So, tell me .... are you going to learn how to toss a grenade? bom

P.

Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down