migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gluten Free Diet

+7
MaryAnneLive
milo
ajg33nyc
30yrsofheadache
pen
estre004
02R96
11 posters

Go down

Gluten Free Diet Empty Gluten Free Diet

Post  02R96 Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:57 am

Anybody try this?

I've heard about this "miracle cure" for everything from body aches to dandruff, so I'm skeptical if it will help my situation, but I'm willing to try it.
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Gluten Free Diet Empty Re: Gluten Free Diet

Post  estre004 Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Haven't tried it but just last weekend I talked to someone who did, and she said it was a miracle for her fibromyalgia (sp). Maybe worth looking into.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Tried it for a couple of weeks, not long I know, but it was horrible and no change.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:36 pm

I would give it a try. There is some evidence now that even if you dont have Celiac disease, gluten can cause Neurolgic symptoms in sensitive people. The diet is not dangerous and is not that hard anymore. I had a huge improvement in my health after finding out I had Celiac disease and going GF. I had Fibro like pain, CDH,extreme fatigue, and digestive problems. These cleared up with the diet until I got Lyme disease! I wish there was a diet for that... If anyone needs GF pointers, I am willing to help.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  ajg33nyc Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:48 pm

I have been on a gluten free and dairy free diet for around a month! I have been seeing a "functional neurologist" who did extensive blood,stool, saliva,and urine testing on me. We found i was VERY gluten sensitive and dairy sensitive. If one's body is allergic to gluten or dairy it causes inflamation in the intenstines which is not a good thing. i was diagnosed with "hermicrania continua" which is unilateral chronic migrane by a reg neuro and met this new doc who takes a different approach! I feel better with the diet its difficult to follow most foods are from whole foods which is very expensive. I was informed by my doc that it could take up to months to rid oneself of gluten depends on the person! I think gluten is a great thing to rid your body of especially any chronic aches, in my case migraines since gluten causes inflamation which is not good for anyone! hope this helps
best
Anthony
ajg33nyc
ajg33nyc

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:58 pm

Cindy I think the fact that you are celiac might make a bigger difference.
Our whole family tried it together, for ease, and we hoped for improvement in my FMS/IBS or migraines.
or my daughter's IBS. I know 3 weeks wasnt long, but no one saw any improvement and we hated the bread.
Pasta was ok though. Tried baking with gluten free but everything was grainy....I guess if you are celiac you try a bit harder.

I was amazed at how common gluten is. I hadnt realised its in mayo and all sorts.
My dad was a baker and taught me all about gluten, but I dont remember a lot after all these years.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:15 pm

I was gluten and dairy free for almost a year. I did not feel any better or worse, though I found so much of my life was about food, as it's so tough to follow.

Now I follow a whole food diet as best I can, meaning I eat non-packaged food as often as possible. I buy everything I can at farmers markets as well.

One food item that did make a difference on my head and body aches was cutting out fake sugars. I did this several years ago hoping that it was the cause behind my migraines. The migs didn't go away, but I physically feel better when I don't have any in my system.

This means I have only real sugar, usually cane or agave and avoid all fake sugars including aspertame, sucralose/splenda, sugar twin, stevia (technically ok) xylitol (also ok) and all othe fake sugars.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryAnneLive Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:08 pm

I am gluten free. I did it 11 months ago to prove to my dad that it wouldn't help me. All of the testing for celiac and intolerance was negative. About 4 months in I started to notice that my joint pain was significantly reduced and over all body pain was reduced to a manageable ache.

It has not fixed my migraines. I still have daily pain. Some days are awful and some days are livable. But, overall body pain is better.

Good luck,

Mary Anne

ps. I am happy to give advice on recipes, what is gluten free etc. It is a little like climbing a mountain as gluten is in everything. But it was worth it for me in the end.
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:37 pm

I eat as little gluten as possible with the occasional pizza. It's not to hard for me to go gluten free because I already made most of my food from fresh ingredients anyway. Whole Foods is a good source for gluten free foods. The have a sandwich mix which is the best gluten free bread Ive ever had. It's not grainy at all. They also carry quinoa pasts which tastes just like regular pasta and doesn't get mushy like rice pasta. I grew up on pasta so that was one place where I struggles with gluten free but the quinoa pasta is great. And quinoa is a complete protein so is even healthier than wheat pasta.

I don't have celiacs but am definitely gluten intolerant. My IBS symptoms improved greatly wen I cut out gluten and milk. When I do eat gluten I can tell it wasn't a good idea within an hour or so. I do eat milk products like cheese and yogurt with no problems but milk, cream, ice cream all cause problems.

I don't see any improvement in migraines or fibro but anything that helps the IBS Is worth the effort. If you access to stores that carry gluten free products makes it easier. Whole Foods and Trader Joes are my favorite sources. [url][/url]
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryAnneLive Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:45 pm

What is the name of the bread mix Alli? I am always looking for suggestions! Have you tried Udi's new gluten free bread? It is so good even my non gluten free family eat it!

Mary Anne
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:00 am

Mary Anne, I love Udi's, too! Its so nice to be able to leave it on the counter and have it taste fresh. I made GF bread for my daughter and I for 15 years. She no longer needs a GF diet, but I do. I still like homeade bread (I have an easy soft wrap bread that I like), but Udi's is handy to keep around.
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:09 am

Alli, sounds as if being in America might make this easier.
Our supermarkets have a couple of things. If you dont feel like cooking, its down to making it easy.
I havent seen any good mixes for bread or anything. We used gluten free flour, tried rock cakes and bread...
I liked the rock cakes, but no one else did. The bread, and rolls went in the bin...

Sounds better there, and if it helped IBS, I'm in.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:22 am

Pen, Actually, it is just starting to get easier here. Since Celiac is more well recognized in the UK, there are many GF products there. Also, if you get a Celiac diagnosis, you can get GF products by Rx. All drugs are GF by law there (at least I was told that by a pharmacist there). I wish that were so here, it is extemely difficult to get this info here. When I visited England, Scotland and Wales several years ago, most restaurants were understanding of the GF diet and I found much tastier foods at the stores. Do you live out in the country?How long has it been since you tried GF food? Might be worth another try if its been a while.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:49 am

Gluten free helps me immensely, though I do occasionally eat it. I think an important facet of a gluten-free (or any other) mode of eating is to avoid packaged/processed foods as much as possible. When I am cooking almost everything I eat from scratch and consuming whole, unprocessed foods I go for very long stretches of time without headaches. When I fall off the wagon - as I did this weekend due to moving houses - I am always punished for it. In this case I ended up with a 4-day long marathon of migraine hell.

I have no problem investing the time and money - both of which are considerable - in eating as cleanly as possible, because it truly does work for me. YMMV
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:31 am

jwar - I think I may give this a try. Certainly nothing to lose and more healthy.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Gluten Free Diet Empty where does one find "udi" bread?

Post  dcook60 Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:51 am

i'd like to check it out; found nothing about it online. anyone? thanks, dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Gluten Free Diet Empty GF diet

Post  charmed quark Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:14 pm

I did this for over two years because a doctor told me my digestive problems were from gluten sensitivity. The diet did help my digestion, eliminating about 50% of my problems but it was a lot of work. I basically had to cook all my own food - very little eating out. You never know if the french fries you are eating are contaminated with bits of breading from the chicken patties.

I made a decent pizza crust and great coffee cakes but never found a good bread recipe or any commercial GF bread that I liked. Udi's bread just came out in my area and it is great. Wish it had been around two years ago. Now I can order GF pizza at a local pizza joint. It sure has become easier.

In my case I didn't notice much migraine change. Finally, I got fully tested for celiac and was found negative. The doctor put me on probiotics and told me to avoid wheat bran and whole grain bread - only eat white bread. These tow things made a huge difference even though I now eat a lot of wheat. Apparently insoluble fiber gives me a lot of trouble.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:16 pm

I don't remember the name of the bread mix. I think it might be 365 but I am not sure at all. Next time I go shopping I'll post the brand. It comes in a green or pale orange box with a check pattern. The brand makes pancake mix, brownie mix, and several more cake, cookie etc mixes that are all gluten free.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:54 am

Dianne, udisglutenfree.com The company is called Udi's. Happy GF eating.
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down