migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

glueten free diet

+4
Ivy
Hal
Brent
pen
8 posters

Go down

glueten free diet Empty glueten free diet

Post  Guest Thu May 27, 2010 5:24 pm

Has anyone tried the glueten free diet? Just curious. I did it for 5 weeks loyaly. It had no affect. Did you have any luck?

Back to top Go down

glueten free diet Empty Re: glueten free diet

Post  pen Thu May 27, 2010 5:50 pm

Gave up after a week, not long enough I know, but I was starving.
Hard to find things to eat, and the gluten free stuff....except for the pasta we didnt like at all.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Thu May 27, 2010 10:05 pm

I have a friend that has celiacs so she is gluten free. What is interesting is she is almost 50 and has never had a weight problem, she's skinny but healthy looking. Makes you wonder how much gluten adds to weight gain for some of us.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Thu May 27, 2010 11:47 pm

Interesting Brent. I would love to loose about 65 lbs, but it is hard. Maybe I should look into this stuff.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Fri May 28, 2010 12:12 am

I agree with Brent. It's great for loosing weight, but for most migraines it can make no difference.
There are several conditions where migraine is a secondary symptom to other important diseases (i.e. celiac disorder). In most cases, migraine is the primary illness and there's no direct influence by food.

I went 12 weeks on a gluten-free diet. I liked it and I lost one size. I felt very well but migraines were not touched. What I found different was the response to abortives (quicker with less side effects) and the faster recovery after an attack.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

glueten free diet Empty gluten-free and weight loss

Post  charmed quark Fri May 28, 2010 4:25 pm

Many severe celiacs gain weight when they go on a gluten-free diet. The damage to the cilia of their small intestine by gluten reduces absorption of nutrients and they have a hard time getting enough nutrients and keeping weight on.

I'm not a celiac but gluten sensitive. I gained weight when I went gluten-free because my stomach settled down and I could eat without fear of severe GI upsets.

I think my migraines are slightly better on a gluten-free diet, but it's not a big difference. It could just be that I'm sleeping better without all the GI problems.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Fri May 28, 2010 5:01 pm

DH also gained weight when he went gf. And I can just about plan for it, if he boo-boo's, 3 days later he WILL have a migraine. He's been a diagnosed celiac since age 22, and a migrainer since age 12...hmmmm...linked?

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnConnor12 Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:32 am

gluten free diet have some deficiencies associated with it.After the implementation of a gluten-free diet there can be many persisting deficiencies, which can be “due to slow or incomplete healing of the small intestine, failure to eat foods rich in needed nutrients, eating too much fiber with meals, thus binding nutrients, Helicobacter Pylori infection, small bowel bacterial overgrowth, giardia, or other infections and parasites”. Many gluten-free made products are not fortified, enriched, or have all the nutrients that the natural sources contain, thus these products are especially low in folate, iron, and fiber.
JohnConnor12
JohnConnor12

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:33 am

I was looking up info on Peripheral Neuropathy and there is a lot of research showing a connection between neurological problems, ie pain!, and gluten intolerance. It doesn't have to be bad enough to be Celiac's to give you problems. Two nights ago I had a big plate of wheat pasta (as I was out of quinoa pasta) and the neuropathy in my legs and feet was agonizing that night. I'm still in more pain than I was last week. It kind of sucks.

So I am back to completely gluten free to see if it makes any difference in my pain levels.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down