migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! Really dry skin

+2
Brenda
Paradox
6 posters

Go down

Help! Really dry skin Empty Help! Really dry skin

Post  Paradox Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:00 pm

I've been soaking in the bath tub so much because of my back (which by the way, is osteoarthritis of the L4, l5 &S1) that my skin has gotten so dry that I've broken out into a rash on my stomach and calves. I've tried putting lotion on it but it STINGS and doesn't help much. So now I have a aching back and itchy body. Any suggestions? Crying or Very sad

Charlotte (aka Joan...I'll keep using that for awhile til y'all get used to it)

Believe in kisses - Eve Ensler
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Help! Really dry skin Empty Re: Help! Really dry skin

Post  Brenda Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Try Eucerin. Get this thick kind in the tub. They gave that to my hubby when he was in the hospital and his skin was soooo dry. It even healed up the cracks on his heels. Very important since he is diabetic.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:26 pm

Try some Tea Tree oil. The backs of my hands frequently crack due to dryness.

Try to find an alcohol free lotion then it should not sting as much.

Mule Kick
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Help! Really dry skin Empty Dry skin

Post  Sara79 Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:44 pm

If you can, find either cocoa or shea butter. It's thick, like crisco, but you can put a bit in the tub with you, so your skin can soak up the moisture while you soak your achy back. It will melt into the water, so you won't have a glob of heavy lotion in the tub, but be careful getting out afterward, it can make the tub a little slick. You can also just rub it into your skin and let it soak in.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:48 am

Charlotte,

I've heard that oatmeal in the bathwater is supposed to help too (haven't tried it myself because I avoid baths and take showers). It was something recommended when my oldest son was little and suffered a lot with eczema.

Also, apply the Eucerine immediately upon getting out of the bath. It will seal in the moisture. Eucerin was what the doctor suggested for my sons's eczema, as well.

When my back (upper back in my case) is bothering me, I love a hot shower. Never was one for baths. The water pouring down on my back is almost (not quite) like a little massage and the hot water feels good.

Have you tried Icy Hot back pain patches on your back. They've given me some relief.

Hope this helps. Please take care,

Becky
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:31 am

You know, maybe it's not all lack of creams and lotions- maybe it's the dry air due to the cold wintry air
and all that heating.
maybe a good humidifier would go a long way with alleviating your symptoms, apart from good moisturizers?
beside that I don't have any more better ideas...

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Help! Really dry skin Empty Help

Post  Paradox Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:17 am

I tried the Eucerin and the tree tea oil. The Tree tea was a little strong for my sensitive skin (next time I need to dilute it with vegetable oil). The Eucerin seems to be working well. I'm dreading starting my water therapy tomorrow though.

Charlotte (I have to get my fingers going in the right way to type that)
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down