migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Violent Video Games and Kids

+5
Cindy*W
crt
Chairish1976
lesherb
Richard
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Violent Video Games and Kids - Page 2 Empty Re: Violent Video Games and Kids

Post  Guest Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:16 pm

richard,

to each is own--i see where you are going.

i don't think a boob viewing or a soldier throwing a grenade in a videogame is really going to cause problems. it's the depth and scale which makes them questionable.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:39 am

I am very torn on this subject.
On one side I think that violence is always a bad example and can't understand the need for it.
On the other side I don't like censorship and I don't think that a red label on PC games solves the situation nor it keeps kids far from violent games. I'd rather say that censorship and red labels intrigues kids and teen-agers even more. At that age breaking the rules and doing something "prohibited" is highly exciting.

In my opinion, the problem is at the source. Why do we have to use killing, blood, shooting and corpse to thrill? There are many other situations to stimulate and intrigue the need for adventure and adrenaline.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:41 pm

I just want to clarify that the kiids I am mainly concerned with here are 12 and 13. the boy who plays all the time is only 12. If he were 16, I may not have as strong an emotiional reaction to these games.

Yes, if something is against the law, some kids may find a way to play these games anyway ... kids are using drugs and getting high at ever younger ages.

But not all of them ... or even a majority of 12 year olds break the law to get high. IF the State prohibits the sale and rental of extremely violent games, then far fewer kids would be spending hours playing them.

I do find it ironic that our Governor - Arnold Swartzenegger - made his millions starring in extremely violent movies. but he signed this law prohibiting the sale and rental of extremely viiolent games to kids. I guess his movies were rated in such a way as to prevent kids from watching.

Another aside ... I watched "Avatar" yesterday and enjoyed it. That movie is rated PG-13 ... suitable for parents to decide that 13+ year olds could watch in the theater or at home. Yet the most exciting parts of the movie celebrate extreme violence ... arrows through the heart, knives slashing critters and folks, ships being blown up and thrown into cliffs to explode ... LOTS of violence. And emotionally, the audience is led to celebrate the violence by the "good guys" against the "bad guys".

I enjoyed "Avatar" But that level of celebratory violence for a 13 or 14 or 15 year old? I am torn. It is a very beautiful movie ... stunning in its technical creation. But it is very violent. Hmmmm .... much to consider. Such as why did I enjoy this violence so very much?
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2