migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ethical Charitable Giving

+4
CluelessKitty
Almostangela
Paradox
Richard
8 posters

Go down

Ethical Charitable Giving Empty Ethical Charitable Giving

Post  Richard Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 pm

I and some friends are trying to decide on the ethical reaction to a charity. Assume as true:

This charity is national (probably international) in scope and well known. The participants in this organization believe that non-white people are not as good as white people. They believe and preach and teach that all non-white persons are sinners unworthy of the Kingdom of Heaven. They believe and preach and teach that all non-white people will end up in hell. They actively support laws that cast non-white people as second class citizens - without all the rights abd legal privleges of white people.

HOWEVER, this is an organization that really cares about the poor and people in trouble. They run numerous shelters for homeless people AND let non-whites use ALL their services without criticism. Some non-white firends of mine have had to do community service and chose to help in this organization. My friends report that the members of this organization are kind and respectful. They enjoyed the work they did with this organization.

In times of real trouble, like hurricanes or floods, this organization is always there ... with food, clothing, a listening ear ... anything to help the white and non-white people affected by the disaster. In fact, some of this organization's charitable services are specifically tailored to serve a majority of non-white people. There is no doubt in my mind that the people of this organization do a tremendous amount of good each and every year ... to white and non-white people in need.

Yet, this organization does teach and preach that non-white people can't go to heaven and ought to be subjected to apartheid type laws of second class citizenship in all countries around the world.

Should I, and other people who care about the human rights of non-white people, contribute money to this organization? I am confused on this issue.

I am interested in your opinions.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Ethical Charitable Giving Empty Re: Ethical Charitable Giving

Post  Guest Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:20 pm

hmmmm, i'd say no.

sounds like situational ethics to justify contributions.

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:08 pm

I wouldn't and I don't and also believe I see the point you are trying to make.

This is where mine and hubby's charitable contributions go:

www.bassetrescue.org

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:30 pm

I wouldn't touch them. It would be giving power and strength to something that you know is wrong and would be allowing it to grow. I know a group like that and friends and family are in it. Call it charity, but in many situations, it is a business. There are so many charities out there that are smaller and are trying and caring just as much, but sincerely do want to help, that it is not needed to put you money into something that doesn't feel right. The intent must match the action otherwise I'd walk away. A lie dressed up in an angel costume is still a lie.

That's my take on it when I hand over my cash.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:49 pm

The participants in this organization believe that non-white people are not as good as white people.

No, that's discredits them right then and there. It's supremacy.
Would you support a homophob who treats you with utmost respect but tells you you are beneath him because you are gay?

It's still disgusting.

It's like telling you "well, you are but a swine, but you are a hungry swine, so there. pat pat"

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:21 am

Howdy

For the word "white" substitute the word "heterosexual" or the word "straight" and you have the Salvation Army. that is the charity I am talking about but used race as a clearer discrimination than gay.

No one can doubt or discredit all the great work the Salvation Army does in the USA and elsewhere. Here at Ronda's we have consistantly advised folks in trouble to contact the Salvation Army for help when necessary - and our friends here have really been helped.

For years I have boycotted them ... but now I am not too certain. "you shall know them by their fruits." And the Salvation Army does amazing things for the poor, the destroyed, AND for people with AIDS and HIV. All without a hint of homophobia in service provision.

Do I boycott them because of what they say? Or do I reward them because of what they actually do? This year, those red kettles are calling to me. You know? Do actions really speak louder than words?
Richard
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:50 am

Hmmm...I didn't realize that. I always give quite generously to the Red Kettles. Shocked

That is a quandry.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:32 am

I found out about this this year when I heard about it on a local radio station. I would not donate to them because you just can't let attitudes like that go. There are many other charities and food banks that desperately need funds so your choices are numerous. I personally like to donate to local charities so that the people in my community are that ones being helped.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Jana Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:01 pm

I wouldn't help them. There are plenty of other organizations out there that do not discriminate. The Salvation Army may not kick you out if you're gay and shop there. They may even help you in other ways, but they wouldn't hire you. Or if they did, they can fire you because you're gay. They reserve the right to discriminate in much the same way that the armed forces do.

Honestly though, all morals aside, $8-10 for a used pair of jeans just isn't right in my opinion. When you're working and you can't afford to shop at the Salvation Army, there's a problem.

Jana

Back to top Go down

Post  Olee Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:04 am

Richard when I read your post it really made me think. I can see where that would be a huge tug on the heart. All views aside, the Salvation Army does so much for the homeless and assist so many needy families, with no interests as to race,religion,gender, or sexual orientation as far as I ever knew. But as you say their doctrine teaches something else. I guess we could look at some other charities that way as well, the Catholic church would be one of the largest charities in the world helping to feed the hungry, house the homeless, but their doctrine teaches against homosexuality. Maybe we should look at some of these charities and be glad that in a true time of need they exist with the resources they have to extend them to the needy with a blind eye. Needless to say that's a true compromise when someone like you is willing to help a charity that does not include you in their eternal plan. I applaud you and hope you find comfort in assisting them or maybe just another charity out there that operates with love in their heart, love that is extended to EVERYONE and also includes them in their future.
Olee
Olee

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:26 pm

I had a strong feeling it was the SA. The way you describe how they treat people is the way Christ taught, right? Don't judge, lest ye be judged. I am not familiar with their hiring practices. So I can't comment about that.

I also don't know how the homosexual prohibition is ever going to be reconciled with so many Christian sects in this country. I wish all mention of it could be redacted from the Bible like a bad Dick Cheney memo. It's so insignificant as to not being worth a mention, don't you think? Why does anyone care what another does with his or her body? Plus, why is there no mention of female homosexual behavior? Does that mean women get a pass? Or am I wrong. If I am right about this then I think this should be exploited (in the right way, of course) I love you

I know someone who belongs to this organization. If she is an example of the kind of people who run things, then I am more apt to give them the benefit of the doubt.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:30 pm

For the word "white" substitute the word "heterosexual" or the word "straight" and you have the Salvation Army.

No way!? Are you serious? Are you kidding me?

Do you actually have proof it's true, not a wide spread rumour?
I have given to their kettles a little here and there every Christmas not knowing that!

I, however, am having a hard time believing that it is their basic philosophy, not just some vicious gossip or opinions of some few individuals belonging to this organization...
affraid

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:19 am

Howdy Risa

It is a very known fact. Widespread. I am surprised you are surprised. But then again you live in Canada and thus are not daily inundated with homophobic news and views.

My problem is the wisdom of Jesus which I believe to be very true: "You shall know them by them fruits." I am not sure it matters what an organization says as much as how that organizationacts. And the Salvation Army (USA version - well, really the California version) is all I know. But here, the SA does not discriminate in their services at all.

Other organizations do indeed discriminate in their service provision - the Roman Catholic Church being the best example in the USA currently.
Richard
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:31 pm

My apologies Richard, I wasn't paying attention. of course when it comes to sexual orientation dicsrimination, it is not suprising to me that many organizations, religious most of all, are homophobic.

What I've "lost in translation" during the course of discussion is, I misunderstood that the charity which 'participants believe that non-white people are not as good as white people' is Salvation Army.

But once I re-read the replies, I recognized where I went wrong. So, it's not SA you were talking about at first, right?
Do you think you can tell who, then, so I won't unknowingly support it.

Now, back to anti-gay and other anti- ...? charities.
Gosh darn it I don't like it either, but suddenly I've realized I probably won't find an organization that is fully free of some kind of discrimination, or do I?

Is World Vision discriminatory at some level? I hope not as I sponsor a child thru them.
Although they probably are since this is probably religious chairty, at least in part. Most likely Christian.

Oh gosh darn it all. Can't we all exist in peace.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down