migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ethical Voting Dilemna

5 posters

Go down

Ethical Voting Dilemna Empty Ethical Voting Dilemna

Post  Paradox Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:50 am

As many of you know, my 21-year-old son is moderately mentally handicapped.

Yesterday, I was voting in our state's primary election. My son was with me. While they were flipping through the registrations I saw my son's name. I guess he had been registered at school. My first reaction was "no, he can't vote", he is about as un-informed as they come in regards to politics and he would just be voting the way I told him too, which would basically give me two votes.

But then my second thought was that this young man has lost two jobs in the last year because of budget cuts to the disabled, and if anyone deserved representation he did!

I let him vote. The election judge let me assist him, even to the point of filling in the ballot, as he has mild cerebral palsy and has poor dexterity.

I had him vote for candidates that I knew supported programs for the disabled. When I didn't know anything about the candidates I let him pick who he wanted (kinda cute, his brother has a very common first name, and any candidate that had that name got his vote!)

The one I feel kind icky about was for our local sheriff's election. I have VERY strong opinions on who I wanted and I had him vote for who I wanted.

I discussed it with his older brother, who is a Special Ed. teacher, and he said "It's not really much different from you telling Dad how to vote every year" Embarassed He felt his brother should have representation.

I'm really on the fence about this. What do you think?

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Ethical Voting Dilemna Empty Re: Ethical Voting Dilemna

Post  tecky Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:15 am

I think you did the right thing, Charlotte. He deserves representation in the election as much as any of us--you were acting as an advocate with his best interests in mind. I support your decision.

Becky
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:54 am

I think you were fine too. As to picking someone by liking their name, no different from the way I pick when I don't know the candidate. I choose by their job descriptions, the ones I like get my vote. Helping someone who is not informed make an informed choice is not unethical, especially when you are having them vote for their interests. And who would know better than you what is in your son's best interests?

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:07 am

having your son vote is important--just the act of doing so reinforces that he is a member of society, and in good standing.

many have died for the ability to vote and i'm glad your son could. despite whatever info he gathers, it's a vote in our republic.

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:32 am

I agree with your son! You were just campaigning for who you believed it.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:50 pm

Coming in late. As an old political-operative and an American, I believe you did the right thing. Your son, the teacher, is absolutely correct. AND you are correct to help your son participate in the most American of all activities.

And I know MANY voters who vote for a candidate they do not know on a whim like they like his name. Nothing new there!

Well Done! Congratulations!
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down