migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sudden Return of Migraines

2 posters

Go down

Sudden Return of Migraines Empty Sudden Return of Migraines

Post  Halo23 Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi everybody, I hope somebody can offer some advice or at least comfort me. Let me begin by saying I've been fighting generalized anxiety disorder for the past 10 years due to life stressors and my job.

I've suffered from migraines with aura since I was 15 years old. They occured a few times a month back then and I would use a triptan to abort it, which look the edge off and I could carry on with my day. I slowly "outgrew" these monthly attacks, to the point where I was only getting around 2 attacks a year for the past 10 years (i'm 34 years old now). I had actually gone these past 2 years without any attacks, despite having a stressful job, ending relationships, exercising in extreme heat, etc... all the typical triggers you would think would lead to a migraine. But this past Sunday I have no idea what happened. I woke up extremely depressed (for no good reason), had zero appetite, found myself very short tempered that day. I forced myself to exercise outside (it was approx 95 deg out and humid), and sure enough when I got home I developed holes in my vision which I knew was the aura I hadn't experienced in over 2 years. I quickly took a triptan and laid down for a while. When I woke up the visual effects were gone, but I had a pounding left sided headache, numbness and tingling of my right face and right fingers - all symptoms I've experienced in the past. The head pain turned more to discomfort over the next 24 hours but never completely resolved. Tuesday same thing started all over again, I felt angry for no reason, depressed, no appetite, then the aura came and again I took a triptan which took the edge off but was still pain. Now today is Thursday. The whole day today my head pain was approx 2 out of 10 and certainly manageable, but the thing that worries me is I have persistent numbness of my left face and left upper arm. I'm aware of silent migraines, but I don't know if this is one long migraine that isn't going away and everytime the triptan wears off I feel the effects? Or if this is a bunch of individual migraines occuring daily just presenting differently. I saw a neurologist, he didn't seem overly concerned and called this a "migraine flare." He recommended Fioranil, which he says he has experienced terrific personal success with as far as symptom relief. Despite my anxiety, I know I'm not having a stroke - that's not my concernn. The visual auras/scotomas are what terrify me. They make me extremely nauseus and I literally can't see much for approximately an hour until they resolve. I should add this past week I have been under significant stress, plus it's been around 100 degrees outdoors every day, and I'm working a night shift schedule for the past few weeks (although I'm sleeping around 8 hours during the day so I don't feel tired at night). I know all the signs and symptoms and classical triggers are there, but I guess I'm just looking for some support. As someone who experienced migraines 1-2 times max yearly, I'm suddenly getting them daily for the past week and it is just worrying me.

Not to sound like a child, but I guess I just want someone to tell me that this numbness/tingling without the headache is normal and/or OK and will eventually go away. Has anyone had success with Fiorinal?

I really appreciate any advice or comforting words at this point, and especially appreciate if anyone took the time to read through my whole ordeal. Thanks in advance.

-Jason

Halo23

Back to top Go down

Sudden Return of Migraines Empty Re: Sudden Return of Migraines

Post  Jewishmother Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Numbness is a migraine symptom for me and though frustrating I can usually ignore it. My numbness is usually on the left side of my face and if it really wants my attention it travels down my throat. I also do not always have pain with my migraines......I have migraines every day but the pain averages about twice a week. What can you do to cut down on your triggers? I know that our endless heat does not help. When your visual symptoms hit is there anything you can do to minimize them? I hope that this flare-up resolves soon.........migraines are a formidable opponent and they do change over time and keep us on our toes!

It seems that you do have a prodrome that precedes your other symptoms - the anger, depression, lack of appetite. Recognize them for what they are and take the Fiorinal - don't wait. Hopefully you will be able to short-circuit the rest of your symptoms. Please keep us posted! Leslie
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down