migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New meds/Return of the constant pain

+3
HeelerLady
LG
thegirlwithbrowneyes
7 posters

Go down

New meds/Return of the constant pain Empty New meds/Return of the constant pain

Post  thegirlwithbrowneyes Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:59 am

The diamox i started has the same side effects as the Topomax. My face and lips are vibrating. I'm trying to give it a good shot.

The migraine pain is back with a vengence. It's so disheartening.

I managed to get up and go volunteer at a Pancake supper benefiting Relay for Life at my church. I just needed to do something for other people, no matter the pain i Was going through. My Mom was there keeping a close eye on me.

So since Diamox is like Topomax and so many of you have taken Topomax.....what kind of reactions did you have to the Topomax?
thegirlwithbrowneyes
thegirlwithbrowneyes

Back to top Go down

New meds/Return of the constant pain Empty Re: New meds/Return of the constant pain

Post  LG Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:04 am

Tingling, leg cramps, cold sensations, numbness. Mood stabilizer, no appetite, a lot of food tastes different, carbonated drinks taste bad,

Drink lots of water and pick up some potassium pills at your local vitamin store. The potassium might help you with your tingling, it helped out with mine. Water water water!!! You can't drink enough! Smile

Hope this helps, feel better!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

New meds/Return of the constant pain Empty Re: New meds/Return of the constant pain

Post  HeelerLady Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:23 am

It depends on the person. LG said it was a mood stabilizer but when I tried it - major, violent mood swings. I don't think I was on it long enough (or at a high enough dose) to have the other effects.

Water, water, water and a banana a day. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:00 am

Everything above and a feeling of being disoriented, depressed, stupid--the Twilight Zone. Good luck!!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:14 am

No bananas for me - major migraine trigger Sad

tingling, memory lapses, forgetting words, tiredness. Nothing too bad though. No loss of appetite that I noticed, but it must've been there because there was though def. weight loss. I didn't notice food tasting different.

Hope things work out!
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:27 am

Such a bummer, Laci!

Can you call your pharmacist and ask about your side effects, telling them why Diamox was diagnosed for you?

Pharmacists can be truly helpful, and they often know more about meds than doctors.

Plus you would hopefully get some answer pretty quickly.

I would consider a pharmacist the best "pro" to go to, for advice, for what is now happening to you.

I had a complicated question about a med last week. I went to the pharmacy in person because I was so concerned, and he looked it up in his gigantic drug book. He tried to give me the best answer that he could. I doubt a doctor could have done better with the question I was asking.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:33 am

As Cheryl said, a pharmacist is your best resource.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:23 pm

Crazy wild mood swings with terrible anger and anxiety, food tasted weird, carbonated drinks--yyyech! Weight loss, etc.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  thegirlwithbrowneyes Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:34 am

So yesterday (day 2 of Diamox) I woke up with a unrelenting headache. It was different than I'd had in a long time. Nothing I did or took touched it. I called the Doctor and asked if it could be a reaction to the 500 mg a day he'd prescribed me. They called back and said I should cut my dosage in have.

I took the smaller dose last night and this morning and I'm better today. I was able to have my Mom pick me up and take me to Ash Wednesday services because I never miss and it was really important to me. The side effects I'm experiencing now are the bad taste, and the tingling sensation mainly in my face, some in my fingers and hands. I can deal with that...honestly, I can deal with the tingling I just keep telling myself If I can get past the tingling maybe this will help.

I've got some bananas and some potassium supplements because I am really feeling sluggish and i'm weak. The doctor suggested the potassium. I'm drinking tons of water and urinating quite often. But so far today, no headache.

Tonight I leave for the weekend on a retreat called The Walk To Emmaus. I've been wanting to do this retreat with my church for a long long time and I had a friend sponsor me and pay my full tuition. So nice! I'm hopeful I can make it through this weekend without trouble from the head. I'm a little nervous because I can't have my cell phone with me at all. Which makes my husband nervous. They do it to limit your distractions. I'll be able to get in touch with my family if I need to through my sponsor.

So I'm looking for some pain free days!

LL
thegirlwithbrowneyes
thegirlwithbrowneyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down