migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About diet drinks

5 posters

Go down

About diet drinks Empty About diet drinks

Post  Mini Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:10 am

I have stopped drinking diet drinks years ago, when I discovered that they contain aspartame which is a huge migraine trigger for me and I did not like them anyway - the taste is always very flat.
But I know that diet drinks are often mentioned as a weight control measure here, so I thought that this article might be of interest:
http://uk.health.lifestyle.yahoo.net/Diet-soft-drinks-may-make-you-fatter.htm

I must say I was very surprised by this result, not at all what I would expect.
I wonder if diet drinks help you in weight loss, and if not, what is the point in drinking them, if they make you more fat.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

About diet drinks Empty Re: About diet drinks

Post  kathy Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:27 pm

I had the same issue with diet drinks. What is a huge issue for me now is parents giving children diet drinks. Ask any pediatrician and they will tell you not to give them to children.

I think they are saying that people tend to eat more thinking they can.

I wonder if they start to be like regular soda after years of consumption.
Just me thinking out loud.
Kathy

kathy

Back to top Go down

About diet drinks Empty Diet Drinks Are a Risky Business

Post  Carol Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:11 am

Diet soda is one of the worst drinks that a person can consume. I have consumed them in the past but will NEVER touch a diet soda again in my lifetime. I was experiencing forgetfulness, brain fog, and not feeling very well. When I quit drinking diet soda, my memory started returning, my thought were clearer, and I felt much better.

My husband consumed Diet Mountain Dew and Diet Dr. Pepper on a regular basis, and would constantly get migraine headaches. I told him the problem was more than likely the diet pop. He snarled and sort of chuckled at me thinking I was an idiot or stupid.

After continuing migraines and popping Extra Strength Excedrin for about two years everyday, I told him he was going to kill himself early. After a routine check up with his company doctor, she diagnosed him with high blood pressure and said he was a walking heart attack at 46 years old.

She told him to drink water and tea, and that diet pop was more harmful than regular pop. He has almost given diet pop up and is doing much better with the migraine situation. He hates regular pop because it is too sweet and full of sugar. There are choices that we make that affect our health and just because a product is out on the market does not mean it is good for you.

God set before Adam and Eve a beautiful garden in which he told them which fruit they could eat and which ones not to eat. Instead of sticking to what their maker said and eating from the good trees, they chose the forbidden trees and thus ruined their lives and the lives of all of us. We all have a choice when it comes to our health, and when we choose foods or habits that are unhealthy, we are going to experience the consequences.

Carol

Back to top Go down

About diet drinks Empty Diet Coke addict!

Post  Connie601 Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 am

After reading these posts I think I will try again to stop the diet coke. I actually feel sick to my stomach when I don't have it, and I have even been diluting it with water for quite some time, but I still have daily migraines. So what do I drink instead, water and tea? I don't think they are going to stop the upset stomach.

Is it okay to drink seltzer or club soda or is the carbonation supposed to be part of the migraine problem? I am so used to the diet stuff that I hate the taste of regular coke.

I'll try and post again in a week or so, or is that too soon to see a difference. Question

Connie601

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:52 am

I don't see a problem with seltzer or club soda, it's the sweetener in diet soda that seems to be the trigger for most of us. I know it doesn't matter what form it come in, soda, yogurt, gum or whatever, its aspartame that triggers the migraine, not carbonation. So I drink either full sugar soda, or unsweetened carbonated water.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:44 pm

I often drink herbal teas: mint, wild berries, camomile and they are all fine, especially with a some honey added.
I also make a delicious ginger tea, by cutting ginger root and boiling it, letting it diffuse for a while. It is delicious, and helps a lot with sickness that comes with migraine.

I also drink de-caffeinated tea (quite weak with little sugar) and now I am quite use to it now, so this is what I drink most often.

Aspartame in any food (and it hides in all sorts of things!) is a serious migraien trigger. One of the worst of all other artificial sweeteners (which are ALL migraine triggers including sacharine).

Last edited by Mini on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Connie601 Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:22 pm

GUM!! I never even thought of it as a problem! I do chew a lot of gum and I don't think they even make gum with sugar anymore. I'll have to stop that too, along with Diet Soda, and of course, my coffee and tea sweetened with aspartame. I can't think of anything else except for the obvious sugar-free (but sweet) anything!

Thanks so much. Very Happy

Connie601

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down