migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this a Status migraine?

4 posters

Go down

Is this a Status migraine? Empty Is this a Status migraine?

Post  marianb Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the Forum but unfortunatly not to migraine. I have suffered with migraine for about 4 years now. I have tried all the preventatives going and also came off the pill. While they improved they never fully went away, i have identified my triggers (without the help of my rude doctor) and i try to stay away from them as much as possible.

most of the time my migraines are bearable and may only have about 4 hours of intenese pain, that was until last friday week (the 15th) the previous night when i went to bed i got what (i think is my aura before a migraine) flashing light above my head while in a dark room.

The next morning i woke with a migraine at about a 5 then as the day went on it went to an 8 with a pressure pain in my head like my brian was too big for my head, i also had pain around my eye and a stiff and painful neck. I used over the counter migraine tablets as well as ibroufen taking it back to a 5.

This has been the case up to today, but because my granmother is sick in hospital i could not get to me doctor, but i am going tomorrow. Right now its at a 7 with facial and head pressure as well as neck stiffness and pains. I also have a tempeture and slight Diarrohea and nausea. Im thinking this could be a status migraine? if so what will my doctor do for me tomorrow?

Last edited by marianb on Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : block text... spacing put in)

marianb

Back to top Go down

Is this a Status migraine? Empty Re: Is this a Status migraine?

Post  somebodyhealme Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:37 pm

The guideline is 72 hours straight of migraine with no longer than a 4 hour break.
somebodyhealme
somebodyhealme

http://somebodyhealme.dianalee.net

Back to top Go down

Post  living Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:49 pm

Hi Marian,

Welcome! Sorry to hear you're having a shocker! Unfortunately normal migraines can last for a really long time =( Mine last without fail for between 60 and 72 hours every time. I've never had a 4 hour migraine! Status ones just don't stop after the 72 hour mark. I've had that when they switch sides and I end up with two migraines back to back. I don't think of it as anything special - just more of the same. I think for someone who gets 4 hour migraines, a longer one is a big deal. For me, because I always get long ones, not such a big deal - because it's not really a change.

Going for over a week is pretty scary! I guess you'll get some observations taken - so they can check what's going on in case it's anything else. Also you might get some stronger pain relief. Do you have abortives? What do you have to help you get through it at home?

EDIT: A lot of migraineurs on this site spend time in hospital getting acute treatment so they are best to tell you what will happen. I rarely get that kind of treatment so I would only be guessing. Good luck! I hope it goes away really soon! Crying or Very sad

living

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:45 pm

I think it would depend on what Dr you are seeing and also what they carry in the office. A regular GP might send you to the ER, or for some tests. My GP doesn't carry scheduled drugs in the office, so I wouldn't get much pain relief there. My Neuro would probably have something stronger, but I am still not sure if it would be anything more than just Torodol. In my area, even going to a Physicians Plus open clinic deal would only result in Torodol at best. You might get away with, what several ER doctors have referred to as, a "migraine cocktail". Around here that seems to be benadryl and phenergan, or something very similar.
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down