migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internet change over. Will not be here.

5 posters

Go down

Internet change over. Will not be here. Empty Internet change over. Will not be here.

Post  pen Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:45 am

Just in case anyone should become concerned for my absence.
Our internet IP is changing over and I will be off line from sometime Dec 31 until hopefully no later than Jan 10.
If anyone wants me, my email address is on here.
Stay well everyone.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Internet change over. Will not be here. Empty Re: Internet change over. Will not be here.

Post  lesherb Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:45 pm

So sorry you'll be gone. I saw your post on FB and discerned your disappointment.

Have a Happy New Year, Pen. My grandparents would have a dark haired person (friend) enter the house just after midnight, for good luck. Is that a British tradition?
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Internet change over. Will not be here. Empty Re: Internet change over. Will not be here.

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Happy New Year, Pen! See you asap in 2011!

Hopefully M free cheers

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Thanks Guys.
Yes Leslie, its first footing. A dark haired man bringing a piece of coal into the house for luck and warmth for the home through the coming year.

Its predominately from the North East and Scotland. My mam did it too...
Were they Scottish??

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:12 pm

Actually you need internet, if e-mail adrress is to be of any use.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:10 pm

Mini wrote:Actually you need internet, if e-mail adrress is to be of any use.

Actually Mini, email can be accessed easily on phones, and checking email is simple and inexpensive.
you should try it. It was a great help whilst I was without internet on the network Smile

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:32 pm

I am glad to hear that you did have access to the internet, after all.
It feels strange not having any net access these days.

Last edited by Mini on Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:11 am

well, a little correction - technically you don't need a computer to access Internet,
and thus via Internet your email account
you do can access your email account via a phone internet, but you still need to be connected to the Internet.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:58 am

Yes, this is my understanding as well, Risa.
I know from my own experince that when I was changing the internet provider I had no internet connection I could not access my e-mails either.
But then again this are technical details, the main thing is that obviously Pen has access to the internet and can access her e-mails, so she can post here and receive her e-mails.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:37 am

No I didn't have access to the internet. But I used someone's dongle....very expensive... to make a post or two, and my emails come into my phone if I use the phone network. BUT that is not part of my phone plan so again very expensive.

On my phone, grabbing emails through the provider, and going on line, are very different, and also it isnt an iphone or anything so very hard to see the screen. If I get emails onto the phone, this does not take me online. THAT would be a different procedure and I would need a different phone plan. So "technically" in my case, I do not need internet to get emails.
Regardless of the science, I can have one but not the other, and the PC would not work at all.

When we changed over the whole plug was pulled and we didnt even have a phone for 4 days....THAT wasn't supposed to happen.
So in the end no internet from December 31 thru January 13. Just difficult email access on phone. No computer. No internet connection at all.

But bear in mind anyone can pop next door and ask their neighbour to let them use their wifi just for a few moments or so.
But that wouldnt be possible in my case as I cant go out. But if you have a friendly helpful neighbour, very easy to do...
Or go to McDonalds.... cheers

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:00 pm

Pen, I am sorry on insisting on that
but a dongle is simply a mobile Internet access that can be wireless,
and yes, you can use somebody else plug that's why you have your friend's Internet access
but the point is you still have to have an Internet access.

I know YOU don't have to have an access to the Internet personally as long as SOMEBODY does.

For example, if I am at my friend's house and I use his computer, then naturally I am not accessing my own email account thru my "own" Internet while logging in from their computer.
But still I am logging in with no problem.

And so do you except the difference between me and you you perhaps are not paying at one moment or the other for regular Internet but those dongle things.

Here's more detailed info about what Internet Dongle is, if you'd like to know:
http://www.uswitch.com/mobile-broadband/dongles/

Sorry for being such a pest,. but I thought it's better to know exactly where you stand :]

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi Risa,

Long time no speak Very Happy

I think things are maybe getting a bit confused here.

Pen posted saying that she wouldn't be on HERE for a while because the internet wasn't connected at home, but to email her if required. Mini posted saying, something like, if you have no internet connecction, you won't be able to check your email either. But Pen could check her emails, via a phone but she could not access Ronda's.

I don't think Pen was saying that she could access her emails without any means of internet

Hope this helps clear the confusion lol!

Last edited by WitsEnd on Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed out a NOT)
WitsEnd
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Pretty much it WitsEnd.

I posted when the server was still up and running.
It went out on Dec 31 and we knew that was going to happen, so I put the message up.

After that, I could and always can access one of my email addresses on my phone.
This comes in, but I couldnt get to my Hotmail account as this involves going on line.
As I said, not a swish phone and pay as you go, so not got all the facilities like on a contract.
But then I dont leave the house very often.

So although our broadband was down for 14 days.
We used this dongle a couple of times for urgent stuff, and picked up the gmail on the phone.

Who knew this would prove so interesting.... lol!
It was certainly no fun having no internet.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:50 pm

True, the confusion resulted from assuming that Pen can only have an access online thru her own Internet
and who ever heard of Dongle until today lololol

plus whoever suspected Pen can have an special offline email account, too? you do, Pen?, don't you?
I just discovered thanks to you there are some strange creatures like Gmail offline out there!! Smile

You go Pen Smile

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down