migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migraines ever feel like coming down with the flu?

2 posters

Go down

Migraines ever feel like coming down with the flu? Empty Migraines ever feel like coming down with the flu?

Post  charmed quark Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:42 am

My insurance company suddenly cut off, without warning, the preventative I've been using for the last 6-7 years. I didn't find out about it until I tried to refill my prescription. My doctor and I are in the letter writing mode trying to get them to reconsider, but while this is going on I've been hording the last of my medication, cutting my dose to about 1/3rd of what is truly effective and saving some in case the migraines get really bad. Meanwhile, I've starting getting mild/moderate migraines nearly every day. This is bringing back old migraine memories about how they come on that I completely forgot.

When the migraine is first coming on I feel almost literally like I've starting to get the flu. All my little aches and pains that have been in the background start hurting a lot - my legs and arms feel like they have muscle aches the way it does with influenza. At the same time I'm nauseous and my eyes aren't tracking right so it is difficult to do any visual task. I feel mildly anxious and definitely feel like I'm coming down with something.

Eventually it resolves and the pain in my limbs goes away and it becomes more localized in my head and I get other more typical migraine symptoms.

But what is interesting is that each time I never go, "Oh. I'm coming down with a migraine." Instead, I think I'm getting sick with a virus or something. I don't realize it is a migraine until the headache phase starts. This is bizarre given how many 1000s of migraines I've had. It must be some sort of brain dysfunction that I don't know what is happening.

I remember this was the norm back before I finally got a decent preventative. I'd only think "migraine!" if I got a strong aura or when the actual headache part started.

Does anyone else not realize they are getting a migraine while the migraine is coming on? Does it ever feel like the beginning of influenza?

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Migraines ever feel like coming down with the flu? Empty migraine flu

Post  lentils Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:30 pm

Yes, this has happened to me occasionally. Fluish symptoms, muscle weakness. Like my whole body has cortical spreading depression. On the scoliosis forum they are talking about scoliosis possibly being caused by an infection of mycobacterium with some genetics involved in susceptibility, maybe migraines are caused by an infection also?
When my migraines end, they break, like a fever breaks. I keep thinking it has something to do with serotonin, but who knows.

lentils

Back to top Go down